• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

This was positive. Thank God for some reasonable politicians.

She later walked into the Senate chambers and sat in the back of the room with other members of the public. Senate President Michael Thibodeau, a Republican, noticed her and announced that "Senator-elect Deschambault" was present. Both Democrats and Republicans rose to their feet and applauded. The meeting came to a halt, and senators from both parties lined up to shake her hand.

"They wanted to let me know I was welcomed," she said.

"Bennett said LePage is not refusing to swear in Deschamault. Maine law gives the governor five business days to certify the results of an election, she said, and LePage doesn't want to "prematurely" cut off the unsuccessful candidate's statutory right to request a recount.

It was not a tight race. Deschambault beat her Republican opponent Stephen Martin by a margin of 16 percentage points."

Oh, this guy:

"Gov. Paul LePage made controversial remarks about out-of-state drug dealers coming into Maine, saying they have names like "D-Money" and that "half the time they impregnate a young, white girl.""

Just read the "Tenure" section of his wikipedia:

4.3 Tenure
4.3.1 Overview
4.3.2 Hiring of family members
4.3.3 2011 MLK Day activities
4.3.4 "Little Beards"
4.3.5 Renaming conference rooms and removing murals
4.3.6 Criticism of state employees
4.3.7 Education reform efforts
4.3.8 "The new Gestapo" remark
4.3.9 Jobless benefits work
4.3.10 Alleged censorship and office move
4.3.11 Vaseline comment
4.3.12 Views on newspapers
4.3.13 President Obama
4.3.14 Federal government shutdown response
4.3.15 Meetings with a group alleged to be connected with the "Sovereign Citizen movement"
4.3.16 Good Will-Hinckley funding threat

So basically the political climate has reverted people to their five year old selves. Great. Way to go America.

This guy says the delegates are gonna want Paul Ryan. Surely they can come up with someone more appealing than him.
‘Miss America’: GOP Bigwig Alex Castellanos Claims House Speaker ‘What Delegates Really Want’
However, if Mr. Trump is one hundred or more votes away from the nomination, it is unlikely he can find the delegates to get the ball in the end zone on the first ballot. He will turn the ball over on downs though nearly at the goal line. (OK, no more sports metaphors.) On the second ballot, he drops 200 or 300 votes or more and starts bleeding. Ultimately, he bleeds to death on the convention floor — which you think would be good news for the candidate in second place, Senator Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), unless, of course, you’ve met Senator Ted Cruz.
Neither this convention nor the Republican Party wants Ted Cruz as their nominee for President. Republican regulars suspect that in a general election, he would be Richard Nixon without the charm, Barry Goldwater with diminished powers of attraction. Cruz, they fear, is the narrowest possible expression of the Republican Party’s appeal and would lead the ticket to slaughter. It is a testament to the routine occurrence of the impossible this election that the candidate most party regulars initially feared as the worst possible nominee is now their both their runner-up and Miss Congeniality. If Ted Cruz really wants to win this election, he should buy a disguise and stop campaigning until Christmas. Perhaps Senator Cruz has also figured that out: His lead has grown in Wisconsin as he has ducked FOX’s Sean Hannity offer to give him an hour of free television for 10 straight days.
If GOP delegates start looking for an alternative to both Trump and Senator Cruz, why settle for Miss Ohio when you could marry Miss America? Why not wipe the slate clean and go for what delegates really want, the Republican Speaker? Former Vice-Presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) is a larger political figure. He has national experience and appeal. The Speaker has also managed to bring together unruly Republicans in the House, the Capitol’s hotbed of insurrection. Most importantly, he is a fresher face, a new and more promising generation of Republican. He would have a better shot at uniting the Republican Party.
http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/04/03/miss-america-gop-bigwig-alex-castellanos-claims-house-speaker-delegates-really-want/

I think their best hope is to find someone young and relatively sane, someone who doesn't have a history of doing divisive stuff and saying wacky things. It doesn't matter how inexperienced they are- their lack of a record will actually be a benefit. Most voters only like Hillary when she's up against Trump or Cruz. Put a normal person up against her and she'll lose. Find someone at the state level if you have to. Ryan will do better than Trump or Cruz but I think he'll still get crushed. It's clear voters want more of an outsider.

I think their best hope is to find someone young and relatively sane, someone who doesn't have a history of doing divisive stuff and saying wacky things. It doesn't matter how inexperienced they are- their lack of a record will actually be a benefit. Most voters only like Hillary when she's up against Trump or Cruz. Put a normal person up against her and she'll lose. Find someone at the state level if you have to. Ryan will do better than Trump or Cruz but I think he'll still get crushed. It's clear voters want more of an outsider.

Nothing says political outsider like being nominated out of nowhere from the party establishment at a political convention.

Paul Ryan has a knack for just sliding into positions without doing the heavy lifting to get there. I wouldn't put it past him to do this.

Paul Ryan has a knack for just sliding into positions without doing the heavy lifting to get there. I wouldn't put it past him to do this.

181u5acpq4f8yjpg.jpg

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread

Kasich is an insider and polls indicate he crushes Hillary. I think Ryan would do very well in a ge against Hillary or Bernie. I also think he would take Kasich as his running mate which would make me happy.

Ryan is denying that he will be a candidate and to be honest I wouldn't do it if I were him. He has more influence in his current position and he is more valuable to the gop as the speaker.

This gop candidate is going to face a real threat of trump tanking the nominee from a 3rd party run. I wouldnt risk it if I were Ryan.

Last edited:
Kasich is an insider and polls indicate he crushes Hillary. I think Ryan would do very well in a ge against Hillary or Bernie. I also think he would take Kasich as his running mate which would make me happy.

Ryan is denying that he will be a candidate and to be honest I wouldn't do it if I were him. He has more influence in his current position and he is more valuable to the gop as the speaker.

This gop candidate is going to face a real threat of trump tanking the nominee from a 3rd party run. I wouldnt risk it if I were Ryan.

Ryan's young enough that he doesn't have to run now. For Trunp, HRC, Bernie, Kasich, Uncle Joe, and Warren, this is their last rodeo. Doubtful that Cruz and Little Marco will ever get another shot.

Losing to Hillary straight up in his home state would potentially end his political career. Probably could, but wouldn't, run for POTUS and the House at the same time. No sitting Senator had been elected POTUS between 1960 and 2008, but nobody has been elected POTUS from the House since the 1880s. Walker likely runs for Governor again in 2018, so Ryan's fallback position would be against Tammy Baldwin in the Senate, also in 2018. GOP wouldn't give him a rematch vs HRC, even if he lost with Trump in the race. Would have to decide whether to run for WI Governor in 2022 (forgoing POTUS in 2024) or the Senate again in 2024.

Ryan's young enough that he doesn't have to run now. For Trunp, HRC, Bernie, Kasich, Uncle Joe, and Warren, this is their last rodeo. Doubtful that Cruz and Little Marco will ever get another shot.

Losing to Hillary straight up in his home state would potentially end his political career. Probably could, but wouldn't, run for POTUS and the House at the same time. No sitting Senator had been elected POTUS between 1960 and 2008, but nobody has been elected POTUS from the House since the 1880s. Walker likely runs for Governor again in 2018, so Ryan's fallback position would be against Tammy Baldwin in the Senate, also in 2018. GOP wouldn't give him a rematch vs HRC, even if he lost with Trump in the race. Would have to decide whether to run for WI Governor in 2022 (forgoing POTUS in 2024) or the Senate again in 2024.

Good post. Which is why I don't see Ryan making that push. He is in a pretty good spot as speaker of the house. The republican majority is fairly well protected and he sort of saved the day. He has a strong national pulpit from which to influence the system. I don't see him taking that risk.

I know he is speaker of the house but there is no guarantee that he knocks off am incumbent woman Senator (Baldwin) in 2018 in a blue state.

I think "striking while the iron's hot" is the most true with Presidential politics. You never know what might happen 4, 8, 12 years from now. Ryan is angling for the spot but he absolutely can't say it publicly. I still think that the most likely scenario in the event of a brokered convention is a Cruz nomination.

I know he is speaker of the house but there is no guarantee that he knocks off am incumbent woman Senator (Baldwin) in 2018 in a blue state.

Dem base doesn't show up in off years most places, but especially in WI. Walker never ran in a November general election during a presidential election. Initial election was in 2010, recall was in Spring 2012, and second election was in 2014. Ron Johnson won in 2010. Baldwin won in 2012 and Feingold will beat Johnson in November.

Ryan likely stays as Speaker, but if he loses as POTUS, Baldwin's seat is his best bet and WI GOP is strongest during off year elections. Reince Priebus got credit for Walker and Johnson and he's been a disaster as RNC Chair. Think Ryan stays as Speaker and bides his time for 2024. Only runs for Senate in 2018 if he's no longer Speaker (via losing as POTUS-potential or GOP loses the House-not likely). Won't be removed as Speaker since Trump voters aren't all 'Pubs and can't win enough GOP House primaries to unseat Ryan. Ryan gets stronger as Speaker rather than weaker thanks to Trump.

Back