• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Not a fan of Krugman, but that was a good column.

Good lord, republicans are just the worst.

I don't often read NYT op-eds, but I thought Krugman is spot on here about the GOP budget proposal. It's an intentional and blatant transfer of income from poor and middle-class to rich, but they can sell it as "we're cutting the deficit" because your average voter doesn't understand economic policy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/opinion/paul-krugman-trillion-dollar-fraudsters.html?smid=tw-nytimes

Make the rich richer and ordinary families poorer

I guess this fits from last night's Daily Show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/10/jon-stewart-kansas-welfare-queen_n_7038642.html

Kansas has passed two controversial new laws, one that gives more freedom to gun owners while another that places restrictions on how people who receive government benefits can spend that money.

But as Stewart pointed out, Kansas receives $1.29 from the federal government for every dollar residents pay in federal taxes, yet it's still closing schools, cutting funding to museums and and canceling much-needed highway repairs due to lack of funding.

So on Thursday night's "Daily Show," Stewart offered a solution: Put restrictions on how Kansas can spend its federal money -- the same kinds of "petty, unnecessary and insulting" restrictions Kansas places on its residents who receive government benefits.

"Maybe they'll motivate you to escape your culture of federal dependency," Stewart said. "But until then, let's see how you like being treated like the welfare queens you are."

Check out the clip above for some of the restrictions Stewart would place on Kansas.

Texas lawmaker refuses to meet with constituents who don’t share her views, staff says it is ‘a waste of time’

A Texas state representative is refusing to meet with the constituents who will be the most impacted by legislation she has proposed.

State Rep. Molly White (R-Belton) has proposed legislation that would allow businesses to refuse to serve customers on religious grounds. The first-year Republican lawmaker has also proposed legislation seeking to make the state’s ban on same-sex marriage immune from court rulings.

“Marriage is a Holy union of one man and one woman created and ordained by God. There is no other definition. As a Christian, I am guided by God’s Word,” she explained in a statement.

But White’s staff has said trying to discuss the issues with her “would be a waste of time.”

The Temple Daily Telegram reported last week that White’s staff had initially greeted Frank Carlson of Equality Texas, before turning him away upon learning who he represented.

Her staff told Carlson, who works on behalf of the largest LGBT rights organization in Texas, to “drop off your literature and leave.” White’s staff informed Carlson that the lawmaker “is against anything LGBT.”

“I conveyed that the representative has stances on some issues and that she isn’t likely to change her mind on them,” White’s chief of staff Hannah Bell told the Temple Daily Telegram. “We try to be a transparent office and I told them that they needed to meet with individuals that shared their viewpoint.”

Janet Adamski, a political science professor at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, noted that lawmakers are not required to meet with their constituents, but refusing to talk to a constituent because of their views runs contrary to the purpose of being of representative.

“When a person is governing they are governing for the entire community, not just those who voted for them,” Adamski told the Temple Daily Telegram.

White previously made national news by instructing her staff to make Muslims visiting her office declare their allegiance to the United States. “We will see how long they stay in my office,” White remarked on Facebook.

so this is a thing:

Congressman dating lobbyist who lobbies committee that he leads

Washington (CNN)Congressman Bill Shuster is in a "private and personal relationship" with a lobbyist who works to influence the House panel that Shuster leads, the Pennsylvania Republican said Thursday.

Shuster, who heads the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and Shelley Rubino, the vice president for global government affairs for Airlines for America, became involved with each other last summer, Politico first reported Thursday.

"Ms. Rubino and I have a private and personal relationship, and out of respect for her and my family that is all I will say about that," Shuster said in a statement.

It is not clear that ethics laws appear have been violated: Rubino does not lobby Shuster directly, according to the Politico report, though she can lobby other members of the committee.

Shuster' succeeded his father, Bud, who chaired the same committee for years and stepped down in controversy over accepting gifts from a former aide who became a powerful industry lobbyist.

When do we talk about the problems with the talking heads of MSNBC and their paying of their taxes? Al Sharpton owes over $4 large to the U.S. government in back taxes and is somehow still walking around, still causing trouble and babbling on the little watched network of MSNBC. And now Wake Forest's own political professor Melissa Harris-Perry has been listed along with her husband for owing over $70,000 in back taxes from 2013. That makes her belong in great company on MSNBC.

"IRS files $70K tax lien against WFU prof Melissa Harris-Perry, and husband.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — The Internal Revenue Service has placed a tax lien on Melissa Harris-Perry and her husband, James Perry, for about $70,000 in delinquent taxes, according to a notice filed in Forsyth County Hall of Justice earlier this month, according to The Winston-Salem Journal
."

When do we talk about the problems with the talking heads of MSNBC and their paying of their taxes? Al Sharpton owes over $4 large to the U.S. government in back taxes and is somehow still walking around, still causing trouble and babbling on the little watched network of MSNBC. And now Wake Forest's own political professor Melissa Harris-Perry has been listed along with her husband for owing over $70,000 in back taxes from 2013. That makes her belong in great company on MSNBC.

"IRS files $70K tax lien against WFU prof Melissa Harris-Perry, and husband.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — The Internal Revenue Service has placed a tax lien on Melissa Harris-Perry and her husband, James Perry, for about $70,000 in delinquent taxes, according to a notice filed in Forsyth County Hall of Justice earlier this month, according to The Winston-Salem Journal
."

Not on a completely unrelated thread.

And Scott Walker attacking UW.

CIMfN_3WcAAX8Mx.jpg

Back