• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

The media has this weird aversion to just coming out and saying the words that need to be said to adequately describe something. It's rape. Call it rape.

The media has this weird aversion to just coming out and saying the words that need to be said to adequately describe something. It's rape. Call it rape.

yeah this is especially true when it comes to Trump/Republicans lying or being racist. "Made misleading remarks" or "made comments of a racial nature," etc.

My parents and nearly all of my older relatives are boomers, and to me it seems as if they're all stuck in a 1950s/early 1960s time warp. Many of them still watch old TV series like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Waltons, etc. on a regular basis. They still listen mainly to the music they grew up with, and almost all of them have a powerful nostalgia for the past. Few of them seem to regard the future with much hope or optimism. The small towns they live in (I know all of them well), have downtown areas that still look like a 1950s movie or TV set, although they're now run down and mostly dead businesswise. Some of their nostalgia is simply that they're now old and long for the days when they were still young and energetic, but a good deal of it is a belief that things really were better in the past, including racial, gender, and cultural issues. Men and women "knew their places", blacks and other minorities were still subordinate and virtually invisible on television and in movies, and were just getting into sports, and gays, for all intents and purposes, didn't exist in a public sense. That's what these people long for, and it's why they cling to Trump so fiercely - they see him as their last chance of getting all of this back.

This is a really good post but the good old days are not coming back. The mills, mines, and auto plants up north are not going to suddenly reopen as free trade has killed that. Lots of folks long somewhat for a past when things seemed simpler if you had some money. If you didn't those times sucked. No way Trump or anyone else for that matter can bring back the past.

I read Ramona and Her Father with the kids. Mr. Quimby gets a job with "good pay" as a supermarket clerk at the end of the book.

This is a really good post but the good old days are not coming back. The mills, mines, and auto plants up north are not going to suddenly reopen as free trade has killed that. Lots of folks long somewhat for a past when things seemed simpler if you had some money. If you didn't those times sucked. No way Trump or anyone else for that matter can bring back the past.

Oh, no doubt that's true. I've thought so for a long time, which is why I don't live there anymore, or in any small town. It's just sad remembering places that were fairly prosperous (still some definite white-trash poverty back in the hills even then) that have visibly decayed over the past couple of decades. The real irony is that the economic system these folks consistently vote to support via hard-right Republicans is what has killed them: free trade/laissez-faire policies. Most NC small towns were built around manufacturing plants that offered non-unionized, business-friendly cheap labor.

In the 1980s and 90s these towns took their first hits when corporate mergers and "corporate raiders" swooped in, bought out the companies, and then closed the businesses and/or moved lots of jobs elsewhere. The Northwestern Bank, headquartered in Wilkesboro, was merged with First Union, which moved pretty much every job there to Charlotte in about a year or two. Then, starting in the late 90s, all of the factories closed as they were outsourced to places that offered even cheaper labor than the NC towns they were located in, while other jobs were automated. None of these towns had planned for such an event, so now they're screwed. What makes it worse is the refusal of the people in these places to accept the process by which they're in the mess they find themselves, or to accept the changes and try to adapt. It's like those PA and WV coal miners I read about in an article (in 2017, I believe) who refuse to join a government retraining program for other jobs, because all they really want is for their old jobs to come back. That ain't happening, so they're just stuck with their bitterness, sense of betrayal, and longing for "the good old days." They've latched onto Trump as the one man who can somehow bring it all back, and as you said, he can't do it, nor does he even care about doing anything, so they're just going to get screwed again.

ETA: But they'll still vote for him overwhelmingly in 2020.

Last edited:
yeah this is especially true when it comes to Trump/Republicans lying or being racist. "Made misleading remarks" or "made comments of a racial nature," etc.

I assume it's some fear of appearing biased, but FFS call a spade a spade. Hell, isn't that what the MAGA crowd swears they love about Trump? Tip toeing around things doesn't make you above the fray, it just makes you a coward.

I assume it's some fear of appearing biased, but FFS call a spade a spade. Hell, isn't that what the MAGA crowd swears they love about Trump? Tip toeing around things doesn't make you above the fray, it just makes you a coward.

Much of the so-called liberal msm seems terrified of Trump's base, and so they bend over backwards to avoid offending them. CNN just hired a right-winger to direct their 2020 election coverage. It's as if they still believe they can somehow win over some of these people (they're never leaving Fox at this point, imo), or if they avoid calling a spade a spade, somehow Trumpites will like them more, or will stop calling them fake news. And that will never happen.

Now that the GOP is successfully packing the federal judiciary (including the Supreme Court) with young, very right-wing justices who may be serving for decades, they are suddenly expressing concern with the inevitable backlash, and Democratic proposals to expand the size of the Supreme Court, place term limits on justices, etc.

Marco Rubio plans to introduce a constitutional amendment (no less!) to keep the size of the Court at nine: "To prevent the delegitimizing of the Supreme Court, I will introduce a constitutional amendment to keep the number of seats at nine"...Rubio added in the Fox News op-ed that trying to expand the courts had become a "litmus test" for White House hopefuls and stemmed from an "ugly, winner-take-all rhetoric" among progressives. "We are suffering a crisis of confidence and we cannot withstand further erosion of trust in one another and our institutions. The rhetoric used by some of my Democratic colleagues that suggests our institutions are increasingly unable to resolve modern society’s conflicts is dangerous."

So, the GOP can pack the court with blatantly right-wing justices (their names helpfully provided by a right-wing think tank), and overturn Senate traditions to do so, but it's you progressives who are "ugly" and adopting a "winner-take-all" strategy that threatens to undermine the legitimacy of the SC and other federal courts - we've had nothing to do with that problem. LOL. That's some Mitch McConnell reasoning right there. Sounds like they're worried it may prove to be a popular idea.

Link: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/434888-rubio-to-introduce-legislation-to-keep-supreme-court-at-nine-seats

The only thing we tip-toe around is the incessant spraying of horseshit-news for which rubes like yourself are constantly running under like an inner city hydrant on a sweltering July day. Lap on..Lap up.

You younger kids are the epitome of “Sapdom”. There literally isn’t anything so ass-fucking stupid that you lads won’t swallow “whole cloth” and then repeat ad nauseum. Make no mistake about it..the modern fascination with zombies is a reflection of your blind allegiance to blanket dumbassery.

Congratulations. :)

REAL men cut their seriously ill infant nephews off the family health insurance because of a dispute with the kid's father.

not sure they would be their best bet, but hard to disagree with his point that they'd be awesome

Back