• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

I mean the DNC getting opposition research on Trump via the brits is a legit question though?

That’s been their only legit defense for a while now

Isn’t the only difference is that we assume the DNC did it with a low level staffer yet Trump is doing it from the oval with hundreds of millions in aid as leverage?

Rand Paul didn’t say it because republicans are feckless and weak in the face of the media, but yes it is ok for Trump to do what every other politician does without anyone giving a shit

Rand Paul didn’t say it because republicans are feckless and weak in the face of the media, but yes it is ok for Trump to do what every other politician does without anyone giving a shit

More false equivalency from the right. That’s why people like you spread all those “Killary” rumors. At some point, the whistleblower or somebody else who crossed Trump will wind up dead and you’ll say “well what about Seth Rich?!?!?!!”

It’s bad faith politics.

Feckless and weak enough to lie in public and on camera. Over and over again. History will not be kind.

I mean the DNC getting opposition research on Trump via the brits is a legit question though?

Isn’t the only difference is that we assume the DNC did it with a low level staffer yet Trump is doing it from the oval with hundreds of millions in aid as leverage?

It says it right there in highlands post, the DNC paid cash money for that British oppo research.

That's quite a difference.

See Highland's post. Way to parrot the current talking point in the ever-changing desperate defense of the indefensible.

Every other politician sells out our national security interests for their own personal interest? Who else?

The problem is not that there was a quid pro quo. The problem is that the president withheld aid which makes an ally and therefore this country less safe IN EXCHANGE for something that benefits only him

Leveraging the power of the US government for his own personal gain.

It is as if he used the DOJ to arrest a competitor to the Trump organization. Or a Dem presidential candidate. Only this one’s worse because it harmed national security as well.

The problem is not that there was a quid pro quo. The problem is that the president withheld aid which makes an ally and therefore this country less safe IN EXCHANGE for something that benefits only him

The Constitution states quite clearly that bribery is an impeachable event.

It’s not really bribery, it’s extortion but the terminology point hardly matters

It definitely matters. The terminology is what Republicans will defend Trump against. Extortion is a much better term than quid pro quo.

It definitely matters. The terminology is what Republicans will defend Trump against. Extortion is a much better term than quid pro quo.

Get ready to hear "strong arming" from the mouths of pubs.

It’s not really bribery, it’s extortion but the terminology point hardly matters

A lot of the talking heads are saying attempting bribery is still a crime.

This is from a law site:

"Because bribery and extortion have many elements in common, it is easy to misconstrue one as the other, but important not to. Both are criminal offenses and both involve the exchange of money, property, or services, but the manner in which the exchange occurs and the parties involved often vary depending upon the nature of the crime. A charge of extortion, for instance, need not involve public officials to be made, whereas bribery as a criminal offense involves those employed by the Government, mostly, along with certain clear provisions for cases of bribery in business."

Using that definition, because it's about government officials it could be considered bribery.

Bribery seems like “I’ll give you [thing that helps you] if you do X.” Extortion is more like “I will do [thing that will harm you] unless you do X”

Subtly different, but that aid was already promised to Ukraine and he held it up unless they did him a favor.

As opposed to “I’ll give you this new aid if you do me a favor” which is bribery.

I think the extortion part makes it way worse.

I looked at three legal sites and it seems that the key difference between bribery and extortion is that extortion is between individuals/business and bribery is needs to include government.

In the public eye. I think people identify bribery as really bad and it's in the Constitution.

Back