• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Link broken.

Where is Nedeac?

Have had a lot going on personally and professionally so I’ve been in and out over the past couple of weeks.

After staying away for a few days, I’m also beginning to seriously question the value of this forum.

It’s fun to pretend like people who don’t align with you ideologically are sociopathic monsters, but the reality is we live in a country where rape is so taboo that people who do it have a reasonable chance of being brutally murdered after being imprisoned amongst those who we consider societal and cultural outcasts amongst whom the cultural norm is still so strong that sex crimes are still considered largely unacceptable. Go to fucking Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, etc and tell me about the “rape culture” we have in the United States.

It’s fun to pretend like people who don’t align with you ideologically are sociopathic monsters, but the reality is we live in a country where rape is so taboo that people who do it have a reasonable chance of being brutally murdered after being imprisoned amongst those who we consider societal and cultural outcasts amongst whom the cultural norm is still so strong that sex crimes are still considered largely unacceptable. Go to fucking Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, etc and tell me about the “rape culture” we have in the United States.

I have heard that for child molesters, but never rapists of adult women.

I have heard that for child molesters, but never rapists of adult women.

Obviously there’s no hard standard, it tends to be a spectrum of reactions with offenses against children almost universally condemned. Rapists are not generally well regarded though in my experience, especially when the circumstances are well known.

Hear that ladies? Assuming you can get someone to believe you by meeting the standard of incontrovertible proof that even a rube cannot ignore, there’s a good chance your rapist might not be well regarded by society. USA! USA!

Hear that ladies? Assuming you can get someone to believe you by meeting the standard of incontrovertible proof that even a rube cannot ignore, there’s a good chance your rapist might not be well regarded by society. USA! USA!

That standard being the same one we hold all criminal allegations to, unless you have some proof to the contrary? Are you suggesting we should have a lower burden of proof for sexual allegations when women make them?

That standard being the same one we hold all criminal allegations to, unless you have some proof to the contrary? Are you suggesting we should have a lower burden of proof for sexual allegations when women make them?
No but this isn't a court of law it's a job interview and the standards of proof are going to be different. The interviewee has lied multiple times already about his past so his credibility is pretty much shot

I don’t understand the point of your series of posts. Congrats to the USA on being not the worst country for rape culture or something?

No but this isn't a court of law it's a job interview and the standards of proof are going to be different. The interviewee has lied multiple times already about his past so his credibility is pretty much shot

So in your view being appointed to the Supreme Court requires that we treat unsubstantiated accusations with no corroborating evidence as true? Do you honestly think that an allegation alone, with nothing to suggest it’s credibility, should be enough to derail a nomination? You have no proof that he lied under oath, he didn’t, that’s just the desperate back pedaling as everyone realizes these allegations will never be substantiated and they need to start pushing the goal posts back to “Yeah but he drank more than he says he did! And he got really mad when we called him a rapist!”

But yeah, totally, we’re living in a rape culture because we don’t believe every woman that makes an accusation at face value. Basically the dark ages.

Check the stats on sexual assault then come back with your culture comment, we can wait. You don’t need to be number one to be really awful.

So in your view being appointed to the Supreme Court requires that we treat unsubstantiated accusations with no corroborating evidence as true? Do you honestly think that an allegation alone, with nothing to suggest it’s credibility, should be enough to derail a nomination? You have no proof that he lied under oath, he didn’t, that’s just the desperate back pedaling as everyone realizes these allegations will never be substantiated and they need to start pushing the goal posts back to “Yeah but he drank more than he says he did! And he got really mad when we called him a rapist!”

But yeah, totally, we’re living in a rape culture because we don’t believe every woman that makes an accusation at face value. Basically the dark ages.

Any reasonable assessment of his statements are that he lied, under oath, multiple times.

His explanations of what the terms boofing, devil's triangle and ralphing,(Who the fuck lies about ralphing?) for starters, all strain credibility.

Apparently you are OK with supreme court justice candidates lying about whatever they need to in order to make themselves look better.

this isn't a criminal case. Under that standard you could be pretty sure that this guy murdered someone and yet you would still appoint him to the SC. Its ridiculous.

this isn't a criminal case. Under that standard you could be pretty sure that this guy murdered someone and yet you would still appoint him to the SC. Its ridiculous.

I could be pretty sure he murdered someone and I’d still appoint him to the Supreme Court? Because a woman accused him of a sexual assault 36 years ago and everyone she named to corroborate this event categorically denied it ever occurred, and she has zero contemporaneous witnesses to say she ever even mentioned it, because I don’t believe that, I would have him appointed even if I were pretty sure he murdered someone. That’s what you’re saying? The desperation in these posts would be funny if it weren’t so troubling.

Any reasonable assessment of his statements are that he lied, under oath, multiple times.

His explanations of what the terms boofing, devil's triangle and ralphing,(Who the fuck lies about ralphing?) for starters, all strain credibility.

Apparently you are OK with supreme court justice candidates lying about whatever they need to in order to make themselves look better.

Are you seriously sitting here and making an argument for perjury based on possible epithets for farting? Apparently I’m just okay with Supreme Court justices who don’t conform to the agreed upon norms for childish slang, fuck me sideways we ARE living in a rape culture.

Everybody hasn't categorically deny that it happened you're just repeating the same mistruth that Kavanaugh was repeating.

Are you seriously sitting here and making an argument for perjury based on possible epithets for farting? Apparently I’m just okay with Supreme Court justices who don’t conform to the agreed upon norms for childish slang, fuck me sideways we ARE living in a rape culture.
So yes you are apparently okay with a Supreme Court Justice candidate lying however he needs to in order to get out of a sticky situation..

Look at this winner post from his past

I would have to guess you've never actually had any one on one experience with the people who participate in food stamp programs. They aren't even close to starving, and they generally spend the better part of their allotment on Cheetos and Mountain Dew. Social welfare problems are stupid and are 9 times out of 10 championed by people who keep a healthy distance from actual poor people and enjoy jerking themselves off about how hardcore they're helping them out with their inefficient money wasting programs.

Check the stats on sexual assault then come back with your culture comment, we can wait. You don’t need to be number one to be really awful.

Okay, I will. Rape and sexual assault have been declining rapidly in the US over the past 20 years. Among countries that actually accurately report statistics and are somewhat comparable to the United States our rate of rape and sexual violence is not abnormally high. Any amount is bad, obviously, but to suggest we’re some sort of anomaly is idiotic and ignores the actual statistics. I mean if you want to take international rape statistics at face value then yeah, we have a LONG way to go before we’re as progressive and safe for women as Syria, but I’m sure one day we’ll correct our rape culture and learn to be more like they are.

Back