• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Any other parents increasingly getting the sense that we’re raising our kids during the last stages of a self-destructing empire on a slowly dying planet?

Or is it just me?

I’ve felt this way for years.

Any other parents increasingly getting the sense that we’re raising our kids during the last stages of a self-destructing empire on a slowly dying planet?

Or is it just me?

Not a parent, but I've felt that we're stumbling our way out of our democracy, and that we're steadily moving towards some kind of retrograde fascist state, for awhile. The evidence is all around us at this point. And it seems to be accelerating.

Not a parent, but I've felt that we're stumbling our way out of our democracy, and that we're steadily moving towards some kind of retrograde fascist state, for awhile. The evidence is all around us at this point. And it seems to be accelerating.

My wife and I have quarterly conversations about moving away. Too bad we don’t have importable skills as a nonprofit director and school counselor.

My wife and I have quarterly conversations about moving away. Too bad we don’t have importable skills as a nonprofit director and school counselor.

My wife and I have a couple of friends whose kids are going to college in New England, and they've decided to retire from the NC public schools (they both have their full thirty years in) and move to Connecticut because it's a blue state and they're sick of living in even a purple state like NC, and they're worried we're going to eventually backslide and become another Tennessee or Florida. One of them is a science teacher and has already gotten a job in CT making substantially more money than they ever made here in NC. I'll admit I've never thought about moving for political reasons, and at my age I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, but given the way things are going it is something to think about, especially if a Republican gets elected governor in 2024.

Or is it just me?

Yet between my students and my kids and their friends, I have so much confidence in Gen Z to pull us out.

"We changed that."

Who is "we" and what changed?

"We changed that."

Who is "we" and what changed?

I guess its like how Trump "brought back Merry Christmas". Invent a problem, then claim you solved it, and a base for who empirical evidence is irrelevant will eat it up.

Dr. Oz made his living selling dubious cures and medical advice to rubes who ate it up. This is the political equivalent of that.

My wife and I have a couple of friends whose kids are going to college in New England, and they've decided to retire from the NC public schools (they both have their full thirty years in) and move to Connecticut because it's a blue state and they're sick of living in even a purple state like NC, and they're worried we're going to eventually backslide and become another Tennessee or Florida. One of them is a science teacher and has already gotten a job in CT making substantially more money than they ever made here in NC. I'll admit I've never thought about moving for political reasons, and at my age I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, but given the way things are going it is something to think about, especially if a Republican gets elected governor in 2024.

Moving to Northern California from SC two and a half years ago was purely financial but holy crap am I glad I am not living in the deep South for political reasons. My area is pretty agricultural with a small town feel but we are not stuck in the 1950s. It is AMAZING. The only draw back is almost my entire family is on the East Coast.

Great point. I've visited a bunch of those little northern California towns and they are sweet

Moving to Northern California from SC two and a half years ago was purely financial but holy crap am I glad I am not living in the deep South for political reasons. My area is pretty agricultural with a small town feel but we are not stuck in the 1950s. It is AMAZING. The only draw back is almost my entire family is on the East Coast.

I told my wife about the anti Roe decision and explained how the legal logic is likely to allow the elimination of certain birth control rights as well. She doesn't follow the news or pay attention to every little thing like I do, but she said if states start banning and reversing birth control then we are moving to Toronto, Canada because we have a 5 year old daughter and aren't living in an area that potentially wouldn't allow birth control. Both of us are from the Carolinas but can clearly potentially see the end of American democracy on the path we are on.

I told my wife about the anti Roe decision and explained how the legal logic is likely to allow the elimination of certain birth control rights as well. She doesn't follow the news or pay attention to every little thing like I do, but she said if states start banning and reversing birth control then we are moving to Toronto, Canada because we have a 5 year old daughter and aren't living in an area that potentially wouldn't allow birth control. Both of us are from the Carolinas but can clearly potentially see the end of American democracy on the path we are on.

I hear ya. Can't disagree at all. But, at some point all these old white people will die off. And the world will look a lot different. They're fighting with all they have because the end is near for their bullshit.

I hear ya. Can't disagree at all. But, at some point all these old white people will die off. And the world will look a lot different. They're fighting with all they have because the end is near for their bullshit.

Republicans Have More Kids Than Democrats. A Lot More Kids.

iberals are not having enough babies to keep up with conservatives. Arthur Brooks, a social scientist at Syracuse University, was the first to point this out all the way back in 2006 when he went on ABC News and blew blue staters minds. “The political Right is having a lot more kids than the political Left,” he explained. “The gap is actually 41 percent.” Data on the U.S. birth rate from the General Social Survey confirms this trend—a random sample of 100 conservative adults will raise 208 children, while 100 liberal adults will raise a mere 147 kids. That’s a massive gap.

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/republicans-have-more-children/

Schmidt has spent the last two days on Twitter absolutely going off on Meghan McCain. Scorched earth stuff.

Back