• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

read up about him earlier. Pretty strange controversy. Girl agreed to get blindfolded naked (consent) but then the issue is he then took a photo (not consent) and threatened her (threat of force)?

Not that strange when you break it down.

I always thought that if you threatened a political leader, the FBI would have you locked up within hours. But I guess it’s ok for right-wing nutjobs to threaten Democrats because it seems to be very common and they don’t suffer consequences.

I always thought that if you threatened a political leader, the FBI would have you locked up within hours. But I guess it’s ok for right-wing nutjobs to threaten Democrats because it seems to be very common and they don’t suffer consequences.

To be fair, if YOU threatened a political leader, you would likely be locked up within hours. There's something different about you in the eyes of law enforcement from this guy calling and I can't put my finger on it. It's white on the tip of my tongue.

I also thought you'd be eviscerated by gunfire if you tried to storm the Capitol.

Jesus. The GOP's attitude towards women hasn't really changed since the 19th Century. I'm sure their attitude towards rape is still that if the woman was dressed in a sexy manner that she deserved it. And given that they want to take away contraceptive rights it makes her statement even more hypocritical. Neo-Puritans all the way through.

A quick google search shows me that the representative that just used the phrase "intake of semen" in a press conference appears to be a prominent supporter of banning books she deems inappropriate for young people.

Article in The Atlantic discusses the growing divide between red and blue states and lays out some statistics.

"Since about 2008, Podhorzer calculates, the southern states at the heart of the red nation have again fallen further behind the blue nation in per capita income. Jake Grumbach, a University of Washington political scientist who studies the differences among states, told me that red states, as a group, are falling behind blue states on a broad range of economic and social outcomes—including economic productivity, family income, life expectancy, and “deaths of despair” from the opioid crisis and alcoholism.

Defenders of the red-state model can point to other measures that show those places in a more favorable light. Housing is often more affordable in red states; partly for that reason, homelessness has become endemic in many big blue cities. Red-state taxes are generally lower than their blue counterparts. Many red states have experienced robust job growth (though that’s been heavily concentrated in their blue-leaning metro areas). And red states across the Sun Belt rank among the nation’s fastest growing in population.

The gross domestic product per person and the median household income are now both more than 25 percent greater in the blue section than in the red, according to Podhorzer’s calculations. The share of kids in poverty is more than 20 percent lower in the blue section than red, and the share of working households with incomes below the poverty line is nearly 40 percent lower. Health outcomes are diverging too. Gun deaths are almost twice as high per capita in the red places as in the blue, as is the maternal mortality rate. The COVID vaccination rate is about 20 percent higher in the blue section, and the per capita COVID death rate is about 20 percent higher in the red. Life expectancy is nearly three years greater in the blue (80.1 years) than the red (77.4) states. (On most of these measures, the purple states, fittingly, fall somewhere in between.)

Per capita spending on elementary and secondary education is almost 50 percent higher in the blue states compared with red. All of the blue states have expanded access to Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, while about 60 percent of the total red-nation population lives in states that have refused to do so. All of the blue states have set a minimum wage higher than the federal level of $7.25, while only about one-third of the red-state residents live in places that have done so. Right-to-work laws are common in the red states and nonexistent in the blue, with the result that the latter have a much higher share of unionized workers than the former. No state in the blue section has a law on the books banning abortion before fetal viability, while almost all of the red states are poised to restrict abortion rights if the Republican-appointed Supreme Court majority, as expected, overturns Roe v. Wade. Almost all of the red states have also passed “stand your ground” laws backed by the National Rifle Association, which provide a legal defense for those who use weapons against a perceived threat, while none of the blue states have done so."

Link: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/06/red-and-blue-state-divide-is-growing-michael-podhorzer-newsletter/661377/?utm_source=feed

Mary Miller is the same Illinois GOP Congresswoman who said to the DC crowd before the January 6 insurrection that "Hitler was right on one thing...He said 'Whoever has the youth has the future.'"

Wow. And she didn't misspeak. That wasn't a slip. She read that.

I don’t have any commentary for that. Just, fuck. Goddamn it.

Back