• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

The idea that the GOP would be less dysfunctional with more power is baffling.

It's baffling to you that someone who voted for Romney/Ryan in 2012 wishes they had won that election? Deep.

It's baffling to you that someone who voted for Romney/Ryan in 2012 wishes they had won that election? Deep.

I figured hindsight would be 20/20. Guess not.

The same could be said for those who voted for President Obama.

Time to head out to the football tailgate!

At the very worst, he's been a check against the Republicans. Unless you ignore tons of evidence of economic growth, especially compared to the rest of the world, he's done a good job.

At the very worst, he's been a check against the Republicans. Unless you ignore tons of evidence of economic growth, especially compared to the rest of the world, he's done a good job.

It's called "confirmation bias".

Carson was nice to the gays at Costco and now the base is questioning him?

sweet party, dudes. Where do i sign up?!?!

GOP preferred McConnell to Matt Bevin in KY Senate race. Bevin joined Huckabee and Cruz on the Kim Davis bandwagon and is now Governor. A LGBT rights initiative defeated in Houston because of transgender bathroom scare tactics. GOP won't drop their anti LGBT agenda anytime soon.

GOP preferred McConnell to Matt Bevin in KY Senate race. Bevin joined Huckabee and Cruz on the Kim Davis bandwagon and is now Governor. A LGBT rights initiative defeated in Houston because of transgender bathroom scare tactics. GOP won't drop their anti LGBT agenda anytime soon.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that a lot of people feel the envelope has been pushed too far in this regard. I don't feel that way, but the Houston transgender issue sure seems like a line being drawn in the sand.

From what I've seen from Houston ads, they were roughly on the same level as the anti Prop 8 ads in CA in 2008. Marriage equality's now a non issue in CA. Houston and KY aren't CA and very few people know any transgenders, but another protracted battle isn't helpful to the GOP. Needed to evolve on a number of issues post 2012 and still haven't done so yet.

That is a short term and locally beneficial strategy though. LGBT opposition is largely going to die out with the Millennials. It will persist is places like Mississippi, Alabama and Oklahoma, for longer, but it will eventually die out.

From what I've seen from Houston ads, they were roughly on the same level as the anti Prop 8 ads in CA in 2008. Marriage equality's now a non issue in CA. Houston and KY aren't CA and very few people know that they know any transgenders, but another protracted battle isn't helpful to the GOP. Needed to evolve on a number of issues post 2012 and still haven't done so yet.

Fixed. I'm guessing more than a few Houston voters have shared a bathroom with a transgender person and had no idea. It's a silly non issue to care about.

Kentucky counties with highest Medicaid rates backed Matt Bevin, who plans to cut Medicaid

"The people I talk to, health care wasn't even mentioned," said Gary Cornett, chairman of the Owsley County Republican Party. "In Southeast Kentucky, the social issues are important. We're a small, traditional, tight-knit community, and there are certain ways we do things."

The trend seemed to hold across the state. At Transylvania University, political scientist Andrea Malji said she has crunched state data and found a "99 percent confidence level" between the counties' Medicaid enrollment levels and their gubernatorial choices. The larger the Medicaid numbers, the more likely they were to back Bevin, she said. The lower the Medicaid numbers, the more likely they were to favor the Democratic nominee, Attorney General Jack Conway.

Malji, who is from Pulaski County, where Bevin captured 72 percent of the vote, said she heard people back home denounce "Obamacare" while thousands rushed to sign up with Kynect. They didn't seem to realize that Kynect, Kentucky's response to the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, is the same thing as Obamacare, she said.

This is bumming me out.

Agreed. Very good article.

Seems like there is an opportunity for a party that is socially conservative but in favor things like Obamacare.

Excellent. The dems need a message of stronger together and not pit one group against the other.

I think one point of the article was that the Dem message of stronger together doesn't work for people who want to put one group against the other.

Back