• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cory Helms transferring according to twitter

"what is best for my family..." We just don't know, do we.

Well, if he wants/needs to play closer to home (GA), his options are very limited.

He cannot transfer to an ACC school without sitting out 2 years; so, that eliminates Clemson and GT. Helms is a good lineman, but a transfer to S. Carolina or UGA would leave no guarantee of playing time. Naturally, he could go to low level FBS (GA State, GA Southern, Troy) or could play immediately at FCS (Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga, Wofford), but it is rare for a starter on Power V level to drop to a lower level.

Well, if he wants/needs to play closer to home (GA), his options are very limited.

He cannot transfer to an ACC school without sitting out 2 years; so, that eliminates Clemson and GT. Helms is a good lineman, but a transfer to S. Carolina or UGA would leave no guarantee of playing time. Naturally, he could go to low level FBS (GA State, GA Southern, Troy) or could play immediately at FCS (Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga, Wofford), but it is rare for a starter on Power V level to drop to a lower level.

Knoxville is closer, too, if the previous Tennessee offer is true.

Well this seems like a well thought out plan he's got.

"It’s just a lot of reasons,’’ Helms said Friday morning by phone. “I really do not want to get too specific. It just wasn’t working out and I wasn’t happy there.’’

Helms did mention that his grandmother, who lives with his family in Alpharetta, is ailing. “I’d like to go somewhere closer to home, because I live with my grandmother,’’ Helms said. “But I know there’s still also a chance I might not be able to find a place closer to home. “So that’s just a chance I’ve got to take, I guess.’’

Didn't mention the coaches in his tweeted. Mentioned fans & teammates.

Its fairly common for their to be transfers out of a program after a coaching change. If Helms wasn't happy with the staff, best of luck too him.

Was not expecting that. Other than Cam Serigne, Helms was probably the player that the offense could least afford to lose. Players that start every game from the moment that they set foot on campus do not transfer.

Because he played as a true frosh, Helms loses no eligibility when he sits out his transfer. He can play 2 years after sitting out next year.

BTW, Guard Josh Harris was recruited with Helms as they both play OL, went to the same HS (Milton) and were in the same class. Wonder if this impacts his status at WF.

Josh posted a picture of him and Cory and said something like "played with this guy for 7 years, going to miss him." Doesn't sound like he's going anywhere.

I was worried about a transfer when Terry was starting at C and Helms was struggling at G, but I thought Terry would be the one that might leave. Hopefully Terry can hold down the C spot for the next 3 years.

Did the coaching staff prefer Terry over Helms at C or were they just trying to get the best O-lineman on the field?

Well that basically means we're losing probably one of our top 2 lineman to graduation, Ford and the other one to transfer.

Our remaining linemen will be significantly stronger and better blockers by next fall.
They will be hitting the weight room hard.
We'll see improvement.
Clawson said so.........I'm in.

We are going to miss him. He turned the O line around last year.

Paper stated that Clawson wouldn't comment until the release from WF was official on Monday. Any chance to re-consider? He will be missed.

I was worried about a transfer when Terry was starting at C and Helms was struggling at G, but I thought Terry would be the one that might leave. Hopefully Terry can hold down the C spot for the next 3 years.

Did the coaching staff prefer Terry over Helms at C or were they just trying to get the best O-lineman on the field?

Any many of Clawson's weekly pressers, he mentioned that Terry only could play center. He does not have the body for any other position. He would also go on and on about how great Helms was handling the move, and what a great leader he was. So, this is shocking move.

Helms was/is a better Center.

They were trying to get the best OL on the field. Best is relative.

Back