• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cory Helms transferring according to twitter

Why the hell is Cory Helms getting looks from all these good programs?

I guess we all missed the thread where Cory won the Outland trophy for his dominant play last year.

Last edited:
Why the hell is Cory Helms getting looks from all these good programs?

He's a known entity, which I guess is better than an unknown HS kid. Plus, he's got two full years left.

eta: But yeah, I'm a little surprised too.

How many times have people used that three years to develop an O-lineman quote?

That's why Helms is drawing interest.

I guess we all missed the thread where Cory won the Outland trophy for his dominant play last year.

Cory came in and did a respectable job as starting center from day 1 last year. He beat out upperclassmen (RS Sr Whit Barnes who had 11 career starts, and RS Soph Cody Preble) for the job. Outland trophy winner? No. However, he will be a third year guy with two years starting under his belt. Lotta teams can use an experienced center. He was one of the better linemen at Wake as center.

When do/did classes start back up at Wake?
When did grades from the fall come out?
He doesn't have a whole lot of time to pick a new school and enroll before spring semester.

Cory also seemed to be a pretty good recruiter for Wake so not only are we losing a solid center/OL we are losing a solid recruiter too.

I mean you can understand why people are surprised why someone from the worst offensive line we've ever seen is getting interest from multiple SEC schools, right?

Sure, but he wasn't even playing the position he was best at for most of the season IIRC and even if you had the greatest lineman of all time on last year's team he would still have been surrounded by a bunch of horrible play.

I suppose.
I also freely admit that I don't know enough about football to understand why someone who's apparently an SEC-level center would be a below-average ACC guard. Seems to me like the skill sets would be pretty similar though obviously not identical.

VaDeac, it's the timing. He anounces his departure, and within a day, PennSt knows enough about him to offer. They know that he can transfer academically, they've view his tape and know that he has a clean record. Put in another school that has offered into the same position, and the same questions are raised. How did they do all of the work-up on him so fast? He had somebody start calling around months ago. We can't even get our staff to follow some HS kids, but these other schools are offering days after he tweets something? BillGeorge is on to something.

I suppose.
I also freely admit that I don't know enough about football to understand why someone who's apparently an SEC-level center would be a below-average ACC guard. Seems to me like the skill sets would be pretty similar though obviously not identical.

Helms was fine at guard, Terry was terrible at center.

too bad, but i've already heard Clawson say he that while he redshirted his entire O line class from last year, 4 of the 6 he is redshirting would have started last season and 5 of the 6 will make an impact before they leave Wake. Maybe Helms sees what Clawson sees in the young guys and is deciding to sell his stock while its as high as it is going to go.

Back