• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

the lady doesn't really love pasta, which doesn't rule it out (i could still make it for myself) but typically i look elsewhere

not that she won't eat it, but she prefers brown rice pasta and i've found it doesn't hold up nearly as well when you cook with it

i've actually had a lot of success with wheat lasagna.

yeah and all varieties of beans/grains. red beans, black beans, garbonzos (indian nom nom), etc. with brown rice, couscous, etc.

Blue Apron cornmeal crusted catfish was awesome last night. Definitely repeating that one at some point.

Made an incredible dinner last night, and super easy. Found in the freezer a couple of leftover duck breasts from Christmas that never got cooked, so I defrosted them, scored the skin, coated in kosher salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Seared the duck skin side down for 8 minutes on medium heat, flipped them over, and finished in a 400 degree oven for 10 mins.

While the duck was cooking on the stovetop, I boiled some Yukon Gold potatoes for about 10 minutes, drained and cooled them. Before putting the duck in the oven I poured most of the rendered fat into a tall-sided saute pan, and threw in the potatoes which I had cut in half and fried them on the stove top, about 3 mins a side.

Pulled the duck out and let it rest, then in the pan it was cooking in I added blackberry juice (I strained all the berries in a small pack I got from the store), about 3/4 cup of red wine, and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce and let it reduce for about 8 minutes. Added about a tablespoon of stone ground mustard and butter each, stirred it all together, sliced the duck, and served the sauce atop the duck with the potatoes and haricot verts on the side.

Maybe the best sauce I've ever made. And the potatoes were great. Duck fat is an amazing thing. About 30 minutes from starting the water boiling for the potatoes to sitting down at the table.

Last edited:
Back