• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

It's been tough adjusting to the difficulty of grocery shopping in NYC. Any recommendations for recipes that don't involve a bunch of ingredients that I have to take home 50 blocks with me?

NYC is the grocery delivery capital of the world.

Once you get your big staples, you should be able to shop every couple days for a small amount that you can fit in your backpack.

Last night's dinner was rabbit étouffée and mega cheesy grit soufflé. It was pretty super. Both were pretty easy to make.

you just wanted to post with your fancy Es.

Made Momofuku's Bo Ssam for our football kickoff party. Did the pork sous vide for 15 hours and finished in a 500 degree oven to get dat crust. Pickled some cucumbers yesterday to serve alongside. Also made sauce and had some kimchi to complement the lettuce wraps. Next step is to make my own kimchi.

Just made 8 quarts of bomb-ass jambalaya. Gonna be good leftovers this week.

Any baller vegetarian curry recipes?

Also, best french cookbook to give as a gift?

Taking my first shot at Pork Tonkatsu tonight. This is one of my Mom's go-to recipes, so I hope I can hold a candle to her cooking.

I'm an absolute disciple of Kenji from Serious Eats (which is obvious from this thread) and his new cookbook was just dropped off this week. It's like a thousand pages long. Super excited.

I'm a fakeass vegetarian, but I am in charge of the pork tenderloins for a Thanksgiving potluck on Saturday. Was gonna do it on the grill, but they're calling for snow all day, so probably gonna go oven since I'm cooking at a friend's place and don't think a grill pan is an option. How long and how hot do y'all do em? Anybody have a killer recipe? Moms shared this one and it looks good: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marinated-grilled-pork-tenderloin-recipe.html

I'm a fakeass vegetarian, but I am in charge of the pork tenderloins for a Thanksgiving potluck on Saturday. Was gonna do it on the grill, but they're calling for snow all day, so probably gonna go oven since I'm cooking at a friend's place and don't think a grill pan is an option. How long and how hot do y'all do em? Anybody have a killer recipe? Moms shared this one and it looks good: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marinated-grilled-pork-tenderloin-recipe.html

best cook on one that i've ever gotten is to sear the sides in a cast iron pan, then finish in the oven for 12-15min at 425. Pull it off the pan and let it rest just a little before cutting.

Last edited:
best cook on one that i've ever gotten is to sear the sides in a cast iron pan, then finish in the oven for 12-15min at 425. Pull it off the pan and let it rest just a little before cutting.

This is the way to do it.

We made this bulgogi recipe on Monday night and it was awesome: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/basic-bulgogi

The only changes were that instead of gochugaru (chili flakes) we used gochujang (fermented chili paste), we used skirt steak, and we grilled it to get those nice crispy bits. Served it over rice. Will defs make this again soon.

I have some gochujang in the freezer I need to use but always forget about it, think I'll be making something korean soon...

Somewhere on here I posted a grilled pork shoulder recipe using gochujang, and it's fantastic.

Make sure you brine them first. Boil water and added a bunch of salt (tablespoon per cup of water), some smashed garlic, red pepper flakes and basically whatever else you want. Once it is all mixed cool it with a few cups of cold water then submerge the pork in it and put it in the fridge for two hours. Makes it way better.

Back