• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Crushed a full thanksgiving dinner today for a gathering of friends we hosted. Between this, the leftovers we'll eat until Wednesday, and the real holiday, I get to eat thanksgiving food for a whole week. Hell yeah. My heart's gonna stop though.

Probably to subliminally hint that all you have to do is fill it with water and go.

Made chicken tikka last night that rivals any I've had at a restaurant. And the from scratch naan was awesome.

Doing a 2lb, over 2" thick bone-in dry aged Ribeye tonight. Sous vide for 2 hours then searing on the grill and with a blowtorch. Twiced baked potatoes and asparagus on the side.

Should be entertaining, never used the blowtorch before.

Holy hell that was damn good. One of the best steaks I've ever cooked. Cooking sous vide really is like cheating.

made some bomb chili yesterday, perfect day for it with the weather and whatnot.

Made chicken tikka last night that rivals any I've had at a restaurant. And the from scratch naan was awesome.

Reminds me, has anyone ever attempted to make pho? I always lump it in with indian food as "things that will be expensive and time consuming to make and probably won't be as good as local takeout".

Sous vide is already ridiculously easy. Not sure why you would need this over a $150 Anova.

We always do a tenderloin for Christmas. Did it sous vide this year for the first time with a cast iron sear and it was perfection.

I love my anova, but the advantage of this is so you can keep the food cold until you are ready to cook. I don't use the anova during the week because most recipes take too long. But if I could have the food "refrigerated" until it's ready to cook and have it start automatically at a pre-determined time and have the food ready for when I come home then i might be more inclined to sous vide during the week. For some things I can set it in the morning before work and have it be in the zone of readiness when I get home, but for the things in the 3-6 hour range I don't want it cooking for 12 hours while I'm not at home.

Love chicken tikka...can you post the recipe you used?

I kind of combined two recipes, both slightly modified. This was actually a good exercise because I now have it all in one place.

TANDOORI CHICKEN

2lb chicken pieces, skinned and cut into one inch pieces (I use a combo of thighs and breasts))
1tsp salt
1 lemon
1 3/4 cup plain yogurt (not greek)
1 medium onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic
1 inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled & quartered
1 fresh hot green chili, roughly sliced (I use serrano)
2tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric

Put the salt and lemon juice into a bowl, add the chicken pieces and set aside for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, green chili, garam masala and turmeric in a food processor. Blend until you have a smooth paste. Combine the chicken pieces and the paste in a bowl or ziplock bag and refrigerate for 6-24 hours.

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour the chicken pieces and marinate into a collander and shake to remove excess marinade. Lay the chicken onto a baking sheet and cook for 20 mins. Turn on the broiler and char for 5 mins. (NOTE: I have also cooked the chicken on the grill (most recently last night), in which case I will keep the chicken pieces whole (cutting slits in them to let the marinade get into the meat) and then cut the chicken into pieces after it's cooked).

TIKKA MASALA

3 garlic cloves (through a press)
2 tsp finely grated peeled ginger
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp tablespoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons ghee (or vegetable oil)
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup tomato paste
6 cardamom pods, crushed
2 dried chiles de árbol (or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes)
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat ghee (or oil) in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom, and chiles and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and spices, and cook, stirring often, until bottom of pot begins to brown (~5 minutes).

Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, until sauce thickens, 8-10 minutes.

Add cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 30-40 minutes.

Add chicken pieces to sauce, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 mins to combine (and warm the chicken, depending on when it finished cooking). Serve with rice and naan.

I enjoy....well....a good Dutch Oven recipe whenever the opportunity presents itself. Among other notables, this is a favorite for a cold night:

Boston Butt, cut into pieces about the size of a tennis ball. Trim the fat and if you can, cut around the bone (but save to make a simple stock)
1/3 bottle of red wine
1 cup of pork stock (ten minutes of prep in a pot with cuttings of the other vegetables)
Two carrots, cut into two inch chunks,
Two stalks of celery, cut into two inch chunks
Six garlic cloves
One full onion, quartered
Any other root vegetables you have around (peeled turnips/rutabaga are a big hit), quartered.
One can of tomato paste

Preheat oven to 375.
In a pan, saute minced garlic, salt and pepper over low heat in EVOO. Three times around the pan on the oil.
Using tongs, take your chunks of pork and lightly brown on all four sizes, rotating as necessary. Once each piece is browned, place it in the Dutch oven. This is usually done in shifts.

Once all the pork is resting in the dry oven, add the root vegetables (again in shifts) to the pan, deglazing alternatively with the wine and stock until all of the panly goodness has been freed and spun into the broth. Empty the contents of the pan into the Dutch Oven.

Once all of the liquids, vegetables and meat are in the Dutch Oven, add in the tomato paste, place the Dutch Oven in your preheated oven, and return in about 3 hours. This meal will make slow, passionate coitus with your nostrils.

Serve as a fantastic stew over your choice of rice or mashed vegetable. For a good mash, use Yukon gold potatoes (skin on), turnips (peeled) and rutabaga (peeled).

Don't(1) say I never(2) did nothing(3) for ya.

Anyone have a great chili recipe for me? We have our work chili cook-off and my recipe, while awesome, is way to expensive to make for work.

Back