• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

I love cumin. Could eat it with a spoon.

Did you use turkey legs or something else?

I usually use the legs, but since they're so big they are kind of a pain in the ass. I've used thighs before and they're easier to fit in a pot, but I still usually go with legs

I used to love cumin, but I think I overused it because now I'm like "meh".

Last night's ScratchDC offering was homemade Butter Chicken. It was so freaking good. Still a fan of Blue Apron but Scratch has been slaying it recently.

Minestrone soup tonight. I've never been a huge fan so I'm going a bit over the top with spice.

Tonight was orange and ancho braised pork tacos. Made a mango salsa to go with. Wicked fucking good.

Huge weekend of cooking. Smoked a pork shoulder all day Saturday and then coq au vin (Alton Brown recipe) on Sunday. So much food prep time but all worth it.

Made the Thomas Keller Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables yesterday. It was very good. I think I'll make it this weekend when we go out of town.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.html

This is my favoriye. Probably not any cheaper though. Also, I can't do all short rib like the recipe calls for so I sub a lot out for something like chuck

I made this from the book (w shortrib) two weekends ago.

It is the best chili I've ever made, however, the recipe says 'serve immediately, or for best flavor refrigerate overnight'. So, the recipe sort of fails in that you can't eat it immediately, you have to refrigerate overnight. The reason being that browning shortribs for 12 minutes and then cooking them at 225 for 3 hours is not nearly enough to render all the fat and make them soft/edible delicious. You need 5-6 hours in the oven for that, and probably should cook them at at least 275-300.

After the 2nd day, the shortrib was perfectly tender, not so much on the first round. He does say (only in the ingredient description, not in the recipe itself) that the short rib should be 'trimmed of all excess fat and silverskin'. I probably could have done a better job trimming, but honestly getting all the fat and silverskin off 5 lbs of bone in short rib is going to take you an hour unless you have mad knife skills.

Anyway, still a great flavor profile, next time I'm using a chuck roast though.

The Serious Eats vegetarian chili is really good too, but it's a good bit of work. Great spice levels.

Any suggestions on cooking swan?
You shoot one? Pics if so.

Plucked or breasted out? I've never had swan, but I'd imagine it's like goose. I hang goose in the fridge for 3 days to age, breast or pluck, then brine for 3 days. Change the liquid every 24hrs. Best way I've had it after that was injected and smoked. Probably could roast it, too. Another way would be crock pot all day, pull the meat, and make tacos.

Let me know how it turns out. I really should start putting in for the permit.

Also, there's no way you'll be able to hang that thing to age in the fridge. Hopefully it's cool enough where you are to do it outside (35-40F).

Back