• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

xAvSx5C.jpg

Two bushels of Beaufort clusters for me this weekend. Can't beat $30 a bushel five minutes from the house.

Raw and steamed, of course.

I made a garlic bread appetizer that was out of this world. Slice a loaf of Italian bread in half, cover both with melted butter, sprinkle with garlic salt, layer with shredded mozzarella, put as many oysters on as you can fit, put a little soy sauce and hot sauce on them, cover with partially cooked bacon, and finally top with sharp cheddar. 350 on the middle rack until done (about 7-10 mins).

Oyster stew. Nothing crazy, but use original Ritz crackers instead of the oyster crackers. Thank me layer.

Baked oysters on the half-shell. Chardonnay, butter, garlic, pepper jack.

I'm doing the turkey leg chili tomorrow night, so wish me luck.

I want to try the short rib chili, but I'm not buying short ribs for work.

Just got my Anova sous vide stick in the mail and I'm super excited. Never tried sous vide cooking before but I bought some baller New York strips to pop my cherry with. Hoping the ziplock bag method works well enough so I don't have to buy a vacuum sealer (tiny kitchen/apartment).

I'm doing Kenji's sous vide chicken breasts tomorrow. Always work out well.

I'm doing Kenji's sous vide chicken breasts tomorrow. Always work out well.

I used a recipe from The Food Lab for the first time yesterday....what an incredible resource

Just got my Anova sous vide stick in the mail and I'm super excited. Never tried sous vide cooking before but I bought some baller New York strips to pop my cherry with. Hoping the ziplock bag method works well enough so I don't have to buy a vacuum sealer (tiny kitchen/apartment).

never had a problem with the ziploc bags -- no need for the vacuum sealer.

Yeah, Food Lab is so money. Their sous vide info is awesome.

Ziploc bags are fine but the sizing can be a pain. If you get a vacuum sealer you can just buy rolls and make the size you need. We started with ziplocks but they got pretty annoying with larger cuts.

Holy. Shit. Why did I wait so long to buy one of these things? Incredible.

I almost passed out from the smoke when searing it though. Small, basement apartment is not ideal for cast iron steak searing.

Super simple squash recipe:

Cut off top of acorn squash, scoop out the seeds.
Cut into 1/4" rings, spread in a layer on a lightly-oiled baking sheet. if there's some overlap, that's ok but try to have them in a single layer.
Glaze rings with the following, mixed to a smooth consistency:
-1/4c EVOO
-2 T maple syrup
-1 T sriracha
Sprinkle with some salt and pepper.

Broil for ~8min, until glaze begins to darken and squash is fork tender.
Serve warm with a bit of cilantro.

I have the Momofuku cookbook and keep meaning to try it. Looks good but complicated. I'm sure it's online somewhere. Kenji from Serious Eats has a few that look great and he's always saying his vegan recipe is his favorite of all.

Made some pho following Kenji's recipe with some mods. Super tasty:

e11a507d9f81b11baf7eda3671818cde.jpg

9b2da21d9419a7e59d86166f2b9ad5fe.jpg

f88e4029705360e683938f515b8c33ef.jpg

Been doing a lot with tofu lately. Made the bahn mi from Serious Eats last night and it was killer.

Also, got a mandolin and love it. Cut myself pretty good once, though.

Been doing a lot with tofu lately. Made the bahn mi from Serious Eats last night and it was killer.

Also, got a mandolin and love it. Cut myself pretty good once, though.

Link? They have a bunch of recipes.

yep, big fan of tofu here. would also like some recipe links.

We ordered Scratch DC for the first time in a long time the other night (similar to Blue Apron and what not, but local) and what we had was really good - and probably fairly easy to replicate on our/your own.

Goat cheese stuffed, prosciutto wrapped chicken breast with asparagus, arugula, and tomato saute with pesto

Butterfly two chicken breasts, sprinkle with rosemary, S&P, spread goat cheese, and layer on basil leaves. Fold breast back over and wrap in a few slices of prosciutto. Cook, covered, in EVOO for about 4 minutes. Turn over and add sliced asparagus to the pan - cover and cook an additional 4 min. Check chicken for doneness, and if done, remove and cover. Add chopped grape/cherry tomatoes to pan along with arugula, garlic, and S&P. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Plate veg mixture and top with chicken breasts. Top with pesto and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Obviously some came pre-portioned and a little pre-prepped, but probably only took 20 min max from beginning to end and was really good.

Question for all you grillers. I am cooking T-Bone steaks on a charcoal grill tonight (1 -1 1/2 inches thick). Usually I put each side on direct heat (uncovered) for 3 minutes and each side on indirect heat (covered) for another 3 minutes. This grill however does not have a cover. How much does that matter and how would it change time on indirect heat?

Back