• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

I have a whole chicken and a 5qt dutch oven.

Anyone have a good recipe they like that's not the standard celery/onion/carrot/garlic/lemon/thyme?

Question for all you grillers. I am cooking T-Bone steaks on a charcoal grill tonight (1 -1 1/2 inches thick). Usually I put each side on direct heat (uncovered) for 3 minutes and each side on indirect heat (covered) for another 3 minutes. This grill however does not have a cover. How much does that matter and how would it change time on indirect heat?

Go buy a Weber. Will cost about $80.
Use 10 lbs Royal Oak charcoal briquets.
Use a chimney rather than fluid lighter.
Season steak and have at room temp.
When coals are white shake the grill and spread coals..
Make sure vents are fully open top and bottom.
Grill 3 minutes with top on, then rotate steak 90 degrees, grill 5 more minutes with top on.
Flip steak over, grill 5 minutes with top on.
Remove steak and cover with aluminum foil 4 minutes.
Serve.

Last edited:
Use Thomas Kellers recipe.

This looks amazing.

Dumb question... if I put the bird in the dutch oven and just don't cover it, will that effectively work the same as a roasting pan? ..or should I just put it in/on a cast iron pan?

This looks amazing.

Dumb question... if I put the bird in the dutch oven and just don't cover it, will that effectively work the same as a roasting pan? ..or should I just put it in/on a cast iron pan?

the air will circulate better on a pan so you'll get a crispier skin

Yup. The best solution for crispy skin is to put it on a wire rack set in a baking sheet so you get max air circulation.

Which Keller recipe you using? The one with the bird on top of vegetables or the one with it by itself?

Yup. The best solution for crispy skin is to put it on a wire rack set in a baking sheet so you get max air circulation.

Which Keller recipe you using? The one with the bird on top of vegetables or the one with it by itself?

bird by itself, I think.

My other 'finalist' recipe is Chicken and 40 cloves of Garlic.

eta: noted on the air circulating/crispy skin. I figured as much. Don't have a legit roasting pan/rack... i could Maguyver a cooling rack w/ a cast iron pan.

i've had success with rubbing pesto sauce under the skin and just salt/pepper seasoning the outside. i usually just jam an quartered onion and some rosemary spriggs into the cavity

bird by itself, I think.

My other 'finalist' recipe is Chicken and 40 cloves of Garlic.

eta: noted on the air circulating/crispy skin. I figured as much. Don't have a legit roasting pan/rack... i could Maguyver a cooling rack w/ a cast iron pan.

I was referring to the bird by itself recipe.

Not necessary to rig up a rack; Keller's recipes says using sauté pan is ok. Cast iron skillet should be fine.

I was referring to the bird by itself recipe.

Not necessary to rig up a rack; Keller's recipes says using sauté pan is ok. Cast iron skillet should be fine.

roasting it from cold on a skillet might result in some uneven cooking. you'd probably want to start the bird breast down and flip it half way.

Go buy a Weber. Will cost about $80.
Use 10 lbs Royal Oak charcoal briquets.
Use a chimney rather than fluid lighter.
Season steak and have at room temp.
When coals are white shake the grill and spread coals..
Make sure vents are fully open top and bottom.
Grill 3 minutes with top on, then rotate steak 90 degrees, grill 5 more minutes with top on.
Flip steak over, grill 5 minutes with top on.
Remove steak and cover with aluminum foil 4 minutes.
Serve.

Enjoy your well done steak.

I've never cooked a steak for 17 minutes in my entire life.

roasting it from cold on a skillet might result in some uneven cooking. you'd probably want to start the bird breast down and flip it half way.

Not necessary per the recipe.

My experience in following the recipe follows that flipping is unnecessary.

I'll test it for you guys tonight and let you know if it's terribly unevenly cooked.

eta: might put some veggies under the chicken to help elevate it and get some more circulation underneath.

Last edited:
Not necessary per the recipe.

My experience in following the recipe follows that flipping is unnecessary.

probably not. the keller recipe uses a roasting pan not a cast iron skillet, though.

i usually do them lower temp for longer time than his recipe

The other thing about starting breast down and flipping is that the skin on the breast will be exposed to the running juices of the bird as it cooks over the first half of the cook time so you won't be able to get that crispy exterior that is part of what makes this recipe so good.

so i guess it depends if you want perfect skin, which may or may not indicate well cooked meat.

personally i think flipping the bird is annoying extra work

Back