• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

probably not. the keller recipe uses a roasting pan not a cast iron skillet, though.

i usually do them lower temp for longer time than his recipe

He says you can use a sauté pan or roasting pan; in this case the sauté pan and cast iron should work about the same. They're both functioning as low-wall roasting pans in this recipe.

I've never flipped a bird (while cooking). For best results for crisp skin, even cooking, and faster cooking is to spatchcock. But doesn't sound like you have a good pan for that and you need some sharp ass kitchen shears to remove the backbone.

In this thread, ITC questions the cooking technique of a Michelin starred chef (7 times over).

ah, the first link i read just had roasting pan. i guess it depends on your pan, too. some are quite heavy

In this thread, ITC questions the cooking technique of a Michelin starred chef (7 times over).

meh, there are many ways to cook things. i have a feeling i read about the bird flipping thing in cooks illustrated and they tend to have the science behind the technique figured out. it's just usually cumbersome and not worth it.

this is true, though. should never over-complicate basic cooking ventures

just put the bird on a pan of some sort and put in oven, leebs. profit!

this is true, though. should never over-complicate basic cooking ventures

just put the bird on a pan of some sort and put in oven, leebs. profit!

yeah, at this point the plan is basically the thomas keller chicken with some veggies in there too (which hopefully doesn't affect the chicken too much) and a bottle of red wine.

(the bottle of wine is for drinking)

Got a vitamix off my wedding registry a few weeks ago, it makes me very happy. Anyone have any cool recipes I can use it with?

Did the chicken and set it over a bed of chunked potatoes, onions and carrots.
Will 100% make this again. Absolutely perfect. Drying the bird really thoroughly and letting the skin get nice and crispy is the best.
Thanks for the heads up on the recipe, leftcoast!

Did the chicken and set it over a bed of chunked potatoes, onions and carrots.
Will 100% make this again. Absolutely perfect. Drying the bird really thoroughly and letting the skin get nice and crispy is the best.
Thanks for the heads up on the recipe, leftcoast!

buddy-christ

Whole chicken breast up, no flipping. If indirect have the legs pointed towards the heat. I go 450 for 15 mins in the oven then 20 minutes per pound at 350. Let it rest for 15-20 mins.

Someone hit with me with a dope ass crock pot recipe to make today or tmw.

just stopping by to share something cool. apologies if i'm a n00b and everyone does this. if you stick the ends of green onions in a glass of water they'll regenerate and keep you in green onions for a while instead of single use go bad.

just stopping by to share something cool. apologies if i'm a n00b and everyone does this. if you stick the ends of green onions in a glass of water they'll regenerate and keep you in green onions for a while instead of single use go bad.

You can grow garlic scapes from putting garlic in water, basil will continue to grow after cut in water, lots of cool ways to propagate from scraps or leftovers.

I just pre-ordered Bourdain's upcoming cookbook and I'm pretty excited about it.

Back