• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Hit me with your best stuffing recipe (or dressing if you prefer...this will be cooked separately from the turkey as we're bringing it to a Friendsgiving next weekend). I think I've only really ever made Stovetop before.

I've been digging Anthony Bourdain's cookbook lately ("Appetites"). We made the chicken pot pie from his book last night and it is delicious - perfect leftovers-lunch for watching snow drift by the office window.

Anyone ever tried to make pupusas? Just had some for lunch and now I want to give it a go.

Anyone ever tried to make pupusas? Just had some for lunch and now I want to give it a go.

I've never tried myself, but our nanny (who is from El Salvador) makes them frequently when we have a nannyshare get together for a birthday or what not. She makes them from scratch (usually some pork and some zucchini or bean) as well as making her own slaw and hotsauce to top. So awesome. If she doesn't make pupusas she makes tamales, which are also good but not as quite as amazing.

Curious to hear if you attempt it how it turns out!

Made some delicious posole tonight using left over smoked turkey from thanksgiving and some roasted green chiles I had in the freezer. That ish was perfect for a cold day.

Last year this episode debuted at the Charleston Food-Film festival before it hit the air on CNN and I was able to go see the premier in Charleston. During the showing of the episode they brought out samples of food being featured at the same time they were being shown on air...it was pretty epic.

Randomly watched that episode last night. Got me stoked for my trip in May, we're going to eat all the things...going Monday-Thursday I think so we will be flexible to go to Husk at lunch for example

I was at the local GA airport about a month ago. Two Waffle House executives were in town. One in a GIV and one in a GIII. Evidently there be big $$$ in waffles.

I was at the local GA airport about a month ago. Two Waffle House executives were in town. One in a GIV and one in a GIII. Evidently there be big $$$ in waffles.

Waffle House is an oft studied business model. Very low per location startup and overhead costs with a focus on convenient location together with a consistent experience for customers. Cook Out has followed the model.

Does anybody have a tahini brand they swear by? The last one I bought was straight garbage. Mom in NC bought the same brand and it was also garbage, so it's a brand problem and not a batch problem. Think the brand is Krinos, but not sure.

I usually buy this:

179dd7aa-e045-4275-8d4c-1924e254b7d1_1.0b807da76be5558082c9a0e4fe3ffec6.jpeg

So I am looking to buy a pressure cooker, and I have read this article because Kenji is da man:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/equipment-the-best-pressure-cookers-review.html

I want to go with the 8-quart (new since Kenji wrote this write-up) Instant Pot, but I live at elevation. According to Kenji's writeup the Breville has an altitude adjustment function. However, I read that I only need to adjust cooking times 5% for every 1000 ft about 2000, so being in Denver would just require an adjustment of ~15%. I am wondering if the Breville because of its altitude adjustment function would skip the extra 15% required to use a pressure cooker at altitude. Anyone have any insights into this, or experience with pressure cookers at altitude?

So I am looking to buy a pressure cooker, and I have read this article because Kenji is da man:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/equipment-the-best-pressure-cookers-review.html

I want to go with the 8-quart (new since Kenji wrote this write-up) Instant Pot, but I live at elevation. According to Kenji's writeup the Breville has an altitude adjustment function. However, I read that I only need to adjust cooking times 5% for every 1000 ft about 2000, so being in Denver would just require an adjustment of ~15%. I am wondering if the Breville because of its altitude adjustment function would skip the extra 15% required to use a pressure cooker at altitude. Anyone have any insights into this, or experience with pressure cookers at altitude?

Never considered (or had to) the elevation part. I will say, I rarely use my electric pressure cooker because 1. it still kind of scares me and 2. it is a pain in the ass to clean. Post recipes as you try them though, I'm still looking for a winner.

Back