• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

I agree Kenji's the man and lately he's been posting a lot of pressure cooker recipes that make me strongly consider one. my sister loves her Instant Pot. I have no idea about being at elevation, though.

Never considered (or had to) the elevation part. I will say, I rarely use my electric pressure cooker because 1. it still kind of scares me and 2. it is a pain in the ass to clean. Post recipes as you try them though, I'm still looking for a winner.

I have a really old stove-top that is dangerous because of the sketchy release valve. The electrics are safe, but from what I glean a bit difficult to clean.

Want to get this thread back on track as I feel like I've been in a rut cooking the same things over and over and am looking for ideas. I cook a lot of Indian food and made Chicken Lababdar last night and it turned out incredible. Have made this recipe before, but I think last night we perfected it so I thought I'd share since it's wicked easy and really good.

Ingredients:

Ingredients:

Chicken thighs - 1 to 1.5 pound, boneless/skinless (4-5 thighs depending on size)
Vegetable oil - 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Grated medium onion
Grated ginger - 1 to 2 inch cube (i like a lot of ginger so I err on the side of more)
Crushed Tomato (3/4 cup)
Cayenne - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Ground cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ground Feungreek - 1/2 tsp
Butter - melted 1/4 cup
Fresh cream - 1/4 cup
Salt
Chopped cilantro

Chicken:

I seasoned the thighs with salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric and grilled them for 8 mins a side. They were a little charred on the outside but very juicy inside (if still not completely cooked through - this is ok as it will cook some more in the sauce). Set aside.

Sauce:

Grate one onion (yes, like with a cheese grater - it creates more of a paste than chopped/diced onion) and the ginger (I use a microplane). Heat oil in pan (I used an enameled cast iron). Saute cumin seeds, onion and ginger until brownish (maybe 5-7 minutes). Add crushed tomatoes and cook until you can see liquid separating (maybe another 5-7 minutes). Add remaining spices and cook while stirring for another minute or so.

Chop the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and add to the pot. Cook on low for 10 minutes. Stir in melted butter. Stir in cream (the recipe calls for 1/4 cup, but I didn't measure - I know what color I want the final product to be, so I'd estimate that I added closer to 1/2 cup). Salt to taste (though if you use salted butter, you may not need much, if any).

Serve with saffron rice and/or naan. Garnish with cilantro. We also served it with some spicy green beans, but I don't know that recipe to share (it was basically sauteed green beans with grated ginger, lemon and a few Indian spices (maybe turmeric, garam masala and cayenne, but I don't recall).

This isn't my pic, but this is pretty much what it looks like:

images

That looks like a great recipe, I'll have to try that soon. Half the Indian food recipes I attempt have jacked up proportions and end up disappointing. So it's good to see one that someone's had success with.

Last edited:
Properly made rice is so much better than quickly made rice

Rice cooker is life

Truth. I generally really dislike single-use equipment (waffle iron excluded), but for the amount of rice we consume the thing is pretty spectacular.

This is a bomb ass chicken tinga recipe (spicy, tomato-y shredded mexican chicken)

Ingredients:

8 roma tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
3-4 tomatillos (about 1/4 pound), husks removed, rinsed
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can (you know, those little cans) chipotles in adobo, (chilis chopped) (a whole can makes it pretty spicy, so if you are scared then you can dial it back)
One whole cooked chicken, meat pulled and shredded (I usually use a cooked rotisserie from the store)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Instructions:

Place the tomatoes and tomatillos in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are mushy but not falling apart and their color dulls. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute or so. Pour the pureed tomato-tomatillo mixture into the skillet. Stir in the oregano, marjoram, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add the chipotle/adobo. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce deepens in color and is no longer soupy (10 to 12 minutes). Add the chicken and the chicken broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has absorbed most of the sauce (8-10 minutes).

To Serve:

We make this a lot and have served it a number of different ways (and it freezes really well). We made it on Monday night, served it on tostadas with refried beans, cheese, sour cream, guac, shredded lettuce, diced fresh tomatoes and cilantro, and then used the leftovers for a mexican lasagna last night. We've also used it for tacos, enchiladas, tortas (mexican sandwiches), nachos, or just served over rice with some kind of veggies on the side.

30-ChickenTinga-0030web.jpg

Has anybody got a foolproof gumbo recipe?

Look up the John Folse recipes from The Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine.

Those are how to make real gumbo. There is nothing 'fool proof' about gumbo. If you are a fool you will only be able to make a bad facsimile.

Making good gumbo is all about practice and reps.

Threw some oysters on the grill tonight; topped with herb-garlic-curry butter. So good.

ba78d0716098479cf4554b0f0894a1e1.jpg

Took some ground beef and put it on a hot skillet. Then after 5 minutes took it off and put it in between some hawaiian sweet rolls. Delish.

We've been hitting up CookDC fairly often. Delivery meals with lots of prep done for you, some meats sous vide ahead of time, and mainly just more high-end stuff. With a toddler in the house it's basically a replacement for going out every now and then. Last week they did soft shell crab which I'd never cooked before - they were awesome. Cool idea although the guy who runs it is a little eccentric. No idea if he's actually making a profit or if it's sustainable. The meals have been a little hit and miss, but the best ones really have been great.

Heading to the beach next week. Need to come up with a drink for one of the night. So far, pina colada and Pimm's cup have been claimed. Shoot me some ideas.

Back