• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Any good dinner recipes without meat? My wife is out of town today through Sunday afternoon and I’m looking to make a nice dinner for her when she gets back but she is significantly cutting back on meat at the moment which limits my options. Thinking of possibly lobster risotto or some kind of seafood pasta but open to suggestions.

we've made some good stuff from the cookbook version of Thug Kitchen

https://www.thugkitchen.com/

I make a coconut milk lentil curry stew a lot for dinners. Doesn’t have to use meat but I add chicken usually to make it stretch two days for dinner. 2c lentils, 1 can coconut milk, 2tbsp curry powder, 1qt broth or stock, ginger and garlic and then whatever else veggie wise.

I would not recommend this for a romantic dinner to answer the original question, this is something for meal prepping - easily reheatable and the kids like it.

Plenty is a fantastic veg cookbook with a lot of great recipes.

I make a coconut milk lentil curry stew a lot for dinners. Doesn’t have to use meat but I add chicken usually to make it stretch two days for dinner. 2c lentils, 1 can coconut milk, 2tbsp curry powder, 1qt broth or stock, ginger and garlic and then whatever else veggie wise.

I would not recommend this for a romantic dinner to answer the original question, this is something for meal prepping - easily reheatable and the kids like it.

I wanna try this. Looks like my kind of good eats.
Please give some more instructions

I'm not really that into beets, but I got a bunch of 'em

favorite thing to do with beets?

i like the salad with goat cheese and citrus, that's about one of the only ways i really love beets

that and a really good borscht

We made really remarkable steaks last week in the cast iron. We had been using the sous vide but decided to just throw the cast iron in the oven at 500 degrees and kosher salt and pepper the steaks.

Seared on each side for 30 seconds. Put it into the oven with butter on top. Then flipped after 90 seconds with more butter.

Really tasty.

We made really remarkable steaks last week in the cast iron. We had been using the sous vide but decided to just throw the cast iron in the oven at 500 degrees and kosher salt and pepper the steaks.

Seared on each side for 30 seconds. Put it into the oven with butter on top. Then flipped after 90 seconds with more butter.

Really tasty.

Yeah, cast iron skillet is way easier to control than a grill.

Anybody ever make ribs in the oven? I don't have a smoker and always gave up on ribs, but I've made them 3-4 times this year, when they're BOGO and they're awesome every time. Dry rub, wrap in foil and roast at 300 for 2 hours, then baste with sauce and throw on broil for 5-10 min to caramelize. Fall off the bone tender, but still have a good chew. Just missing the bark/smoke.

Busted out my cast iron plancha tonight and put it on the grill. Not pictured are pork steaks I cooked on the plancha as well. Paired the dinner with a 2006 Cab Sav from Mendoza.

735ea4a9ab9294d61f9a3d04bf042564.jpg

Looks good. I need to get a cast iron griddle.

Anybody ever make ribs in the oven? I don't have a smoker and always gave up on ribs, but I've made them 3-4 times this year, when they're BOGO and they're awesome every time. Dry rub, wrap in foil and roast at 300 for 2 hours, then baste with sauce and throw on broil for 5-10 min to caramelize. Fall off the bone tender, but still have a good chew. Just missing the bark/smoke.

I’ve done this several times. I use yellow mustard and a good dry rub, cook at 250 for 2 hours, and finish on the grill. A few minutes per side at medium high heat, then sauce them and cook about the same length of time. The ribs are cooked through and get a decent crust.

Back