• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

I've been going sous vide, cast iron skillet plus searzall blowtorch lately. Results have been awesome and the consistency/predictability is hard to get away from.

Best way I’ve ever made steak is sous vide then sear over a chimney full of charcoal. Found it via a video where Adam Savage & Kenji year a couple different ways to cook a steak: https://youtu.be/JB1x0O-bhrw

I can't edit that post but to add onto it, the chimney gets significantly hotter than a cast iron pan does. Can also skip the sous vide, sear over the chimney to get the crust set, dump coals and finish cooking over coals and get a fantastic result, as well.

Since it was only two of us for Thanksgiving this past year, we got some nice steaks and did the sous vide --> chimney method and it might've been the best meal I've ever made, and maybe the best steak I've ever had.

I've been going sous vide, cast iron skillet plus searzall blowtorch lately. Results have been awesome and the consistency/predictability is hard to get away from.

do you cook it in your separate 4000 sq’ industrial kitchen?

Never before seen pic of DCDeac:

parisapt.jpg

Cutting board between the burners seems like a good way to burn errant pieces of chopped food DCDeac. Not very practical. And cheapo plastic food timers (2 of them for some reason) kept right next to the large burner? Cmon man, safety.

anybody do anything with banana peppers besides pickle them?

Let them slowly rot on the vine because they produce a million peppers and I still plant 4 plants every year because I'm a moron and don't learn from my mistakes?

I slice them up and put them in various stir fry, and my wife bakes them with just a touch of salt and olive oil. I also eat them raw occasionally, but I'm hella weird and have sooooooo many goddamn banana peppers at this time of year.

can you roast them to use like you would Hatch chiles?

was excited to see Hatches in the store last week but all of the bags had mold on a few peppers. usually buy a few bags and roast and freeze.

anybody do anything with banana peppers besides pickle them?

If you do pickle them, I love this to top italian bread:

Mix together the following:
-2 spoonfuls hot hoagie spread (https://shop.cento.com/products/cento-diced-hot-cherry-pepper-hoagie-spread-12-fl-oz)
-1 can rinsed chick peas
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-1 cup pickled banana peppers
-1/8-1/4 cup pickled banana pepper juice
-1/2 cup chopped peperoncini

1. throw all this shit above together
2. slice italian bread
3. take slice and spread a lil butter on top
4. top with pepper mixture including a lil juice
5. grate fresh parm cheese on top

enjoy

We have cooked a lot of Indian food over the years, but the one dish we've never been able to get right is butter chicken. We stopped trying to make it for years since our go to delivery spot makes a ridiculously good butter chicken that we have never even come close to. So while I'm not a ride or die Serious Eats acolyte, we made this recipe over the weekend and it is absolutely spectacular. Close to the best butter chicken I've ever had. I'm super excited to have the leftovers for lunch today. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/03/stovetop-butter-chicken.html

For my birthday I bought myself a Le Crueset Dutch Oven. Really looking forward to using it as the weather gets cooler.

Made beef and Guinness stew last night. That butter chicken looks like a good candidate.

We have cooked a lot of Indian food over the years, but the one dish we've never been able to get right is butter chicken. We stopped trying to make it for years since our go to delivery spot makes a ridiculously good butter chicken that we have never even come close to. So while I'm not a ride or die Serious Eats acolyte, we made this recipe over the weekend and it is absolutely spectacular. Close to the best butter chicken I've ever had. I'm super excited to have the leftovers for lunch today. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2020/03/stovetop-butter-chicken.html

they have a similar recipe for the pressure cooker I've made. the key to that recipe is broiling the chicken which is way better than cooking it in the Instant Pot. and you just cook the chicken at the same time as the sauce so it doesn't take extra time.

For my birthday I bought myself a Le Crueset Dutch Oven. Really looking forward to using it as the weather gets cooler.

Made beef and Guinness stew last night. That butter chicken looks like a good candidate.

find yourself a good short rib braising recipe for that bad boy.

Think I’m gonna make some homemade pizza this weekend for the football games. I love Kenji’s skillet pizza. Wondering if a sourdough dough would work?

Think I’m gonna make some homemade pizza this weekend for the football games. I love Kenji’s skillet pizza. Wondering if a sourdough dough would work?

check the Serious Eats reddit. people are always making that recipe, so I'm sure during the pandemic sourdough came up.

I’ve got one and love it. I like the pot roast I’ve made a lot more than crock pot. On that topic, I’m planning to try pot roast on the big green egg this weekend.

Back