• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Gotcha, I read your post as saying your mom and Sandra were childhood friends.

We have her cookbook but haven't done much of it yet. Any recommendations?

ha, i literally JUST put it into a box and taped it up- i'll have to come back to you on this.

if you ever feel ambitious and want to make your own tortillas, her recipe is good (with real lard and everything).

ha, i literally JUST put it into a box and taped it up- i'll have to come back to you on this.

if you ever feel ambitious and want to make your own tortillas, her recipe is good (with real lard and everything).

Yeah my wife makes pretty killer homemade tortillas she learned in south texas so I luckily don't have to take that burden.

There are few things I like in this world more than really good chilaquiles. A new resturant opened up a short time ago near my house and their's are really fantastic. If you get your recipe where you like it lemme know. I'd defs be interested in that ish.

What place?

I like bigdoublezero's idea, but my knife skills class really got me better with knives. I didn't have a technique to speak of aside from just mimicking what I saw, and I'm far better at it now.

I'm taking butchering classes next.

I'm a knife snob. Kershaws and Wusthofs. I'd live in a single wide before I'd part with my blades.

A few years ago (during the vegetarian period), I unlocked about ten go-tos that I would put up against all comers.

Spaghetti squash is an entrée if you know how to cook. Using it as a pasta sub is an ingredient multiplier, but homemade pesto (or if you're in the right mood, roasted garlic and butter) is a killa.

Mashed rutabaga (or diced rutabaga hash with eggs), asparagus crepes, braised cauliflower and baked sweet potatoes with mango salsa.

The lady of the house is fond of the quinoa and turkey sausage, peppers and onions. She has excellent taste (but we knew that).

If you've never done it, a vegetarian month is a fun challenge and will make you a more balanced consumer.

Baked quinoa recipe w/ a sauteed mushroom blend, garlic and gouda ... veggie, hearty, and quinoa is great for protein.

Cook the quinoa in broth (more flavor)
Do a small onion in some EVOO, once it's soft add in mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster) and let it get all awesome. Once the mushrooms have softened, add in 3-4 cloves garlic and some chives. Deglaze the pan w/ more broth, and scrape it all into the quinoa.
Mix it all up with a good bit of shredded gouda and a little bit more EVOO.
Spread into a baking dish, and then sprinkle more gouda on top.
Bake until the cheese on top is all melted and bubbling - 10ish minutes at 400 degrees.

You can also pretty easily add in sauteed kale or spinach with this as well.

You love annie's eats recipes! We do this at least once a month, it's so good and is great for leftovers too.

DAMMIT BUCKETS, GIVE ME THE RECIPE, I WANT TO MAKE SOME CHILAQUILES AND I DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW.

Yeah buckets, you best hurry up with that or the negrep train will be pulling out of the station. You can't dangle a chilaquilles carrot out there and not deliver. Chilaquilles are serious bidness.

Made the baked ziti recipe off Serious Eats. Bangin. Used their one-hour sauce recipe too.

Good lookin' out, posters!

Yeah buckets, you best hurry up with that or the negrep train will be pulling out of the station. You can't dangle a chilaquilles carrot out there and not deliver. Chilaquilles are serious bidness.

CHOO CHOO. PAIN TRAIN IS COMING.

Sweet potato and butternut squash hash

Ingredients:
1 cup diced sweet potato
1 cup diced butternut squash (I'm a trained-assassin with a chef's knife, but if that's not your thing, you can hurt yourself cutting a squash. Most decent grocery stories will have it pre-diced).
2 carrots, diced.
1 med onion, sliced.
3 cloves, minced garlic
2 eggs
three handfuls of baby spinach (or similar substitute green on hand).
Favorite cheese to finish (Whole Foods crumbled goat cheese is a personal favorite)
Herbs of choice to flavor as you sauté

In a cast-iron skillet (because you have pride in your humanity), sauté squash first in a generous coating of EVOO. After each 2-3 minute increment, add in the sweet potato, carrot, onions and garlic in echelon, moving the veggies regularly to insure even cooking on all sides, seasoning with S,P and herbs of choices. After about ten minutes and when the veggies have all softened, drop two eggs, salsa (if desired) and leafy greens. Once the eggs have cooked, finish with the cheese and plate. Great meal if you're looking to take it easy on birthed protein, but don't forget to holla atcha boy the next day on the OGB.

Anyone have a good recipe for a pasta dish that includes mushrooms? Not really looking for a stroganoff though...

I really enjoyed having 6 months of Emeals. The recipes are simple but taste good and it makes grocery shopping an absolute breeze.

Anybody know what you call a field full of masturbating cows ?

Beef Strokinoff .

Get it ? Stroganoff = Strokinoff !

Back