• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

We put mushrooms and onions in everything we can. I need to hit up Whole Paycheck and get some different kinds of fungi. I've also been told that Whole Paycheck will let you buy a beer and carry it around the store whist shopping.

BUCKETS WORLD FAMOUS (rojas) CHILAQUILES (actually still a work in process; suggestions/tweaks welcome)

Ingredients
Sauce:
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
3 stemmed jalapenos
2 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce plus scrap out the sauce gunk; be careful here these things get hot, DO NOT put a whole can or you will have massive fire butt
1 dried ancho pepper; also be careful here, this really ups the spice level for you wusses
1/2 white onion
3 garlic gloves
Salt

Chips:
Technically you should leave out some corn tortillas, let em get stale then cut them into chips and crisp them up by frying in some oil
BUT the whole foods by me makes their own tortilla chips in-house and they're thick and crunchy, so i leave those out overnight and they're fine
Point is that you want some nice thick ass corn chips that won't get too soggy, so do whatever works. You can't drop tostino's in this meal.

Other Stuff:
Chicken Broth
Liquid Smoke
Queso Fresco
Shredded sharp cheddar
Guac
Chicken*
Cilantro
Chopped onion
Sour cream (if you want)

Cooking:
1 - Put all the sauce stuff in a food processor/high speed blender and blend it all into a smooth ass sauce
2 - Heat up 1 tbsp or so of vegetable oil in a pan on the stove, pour the sauce into the pan, add two drops of liquid smoke
3 - Get it close to bubbling and then turn the heat to low and add ~1 cup of chicken broth, stir it all up
4 - Add the chips, to avoid breakage try not to move them or stir too much, just one quick slide under the sauce
5 - Cover it up and let it marinate for not more than 5 minutes (in my experience anything more than 5 minutes will make them soggy)
6 - My recommendation is to use tongs to pull the chips out directly otherwise you'll have a nice bowl of tortilla chilaquile soup
7 - Make a nice base layer of chips, put the cheese on first so it melts on the chips; let it cool for a minute then sprinkle some chopped onions, then add a dallop of guac, then add some chicken (I don't give a shit what kind of chicken you use*), then your cilantro and maybe sour cream (I personally feel like the sour cream is overkill but white ppl love so I thought it made sense to suggest it to you guys)

*chicken: my suggestion is to get a rotisserie chicken, pull the meat off and pat it dry. then cover it in a blend of chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and crisp it up in a cast iron pan with some oil. but honestly - i've left the chicken out completely and its fine, so do whatever here.

Last edited:
Not a fan of liquid smoke, but this sounds like a great recipe to make with leftover smoked beercan chicken. Using previously smoked chix would probably still add that same element. So you only dip the chips in the sauce briefly, and you dont add any sauce to the actual plate like below?

chilaquiles-verdes.jpg

Usually if you have chips submerged in the sauce on the stove and pull them out, they bring a ton of the sauce with them over to the plate. My bigger issue is trying to not bring too much sauce over (which is what was happening when I didn't use tongs) or the chips inevitably get soggy.

Agree on the liquid smoke, if I had a legit a smoker then I'd never use it all.

so basically nachos? no disrespect intended. i google imaged them and they look tasty as fuck. going to see if the mexican restaurant has them next time i go.

Not a fan of liquid smoke, but this sounds like a great recipe to make with leftover smoked beercan chicken. Using previously smoked chix would probably still add that same element. So you only dip the chips in the sauce briefly, and you dont add any sauce to the actual plate like below?

For what?

Made this last week from a Giada cookbook - really enjoyed how it turned out, especially the meatballs.

Ingredients
1 pound orecchiette pasta
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon whole milk
1 tablespoon ketchup
3/4 cup grated Romano
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ground chicken
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, hot
4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
8 ounces bocconcini mozzarella, halved
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, eggs, milk, ketchup, Romano cheese, and the salt and pepper. Add the chicken and gently stir to combine.

Using a melon baller (or a teaspoon measure), form the chicken mixture into 3/4-inch pieces. With damp hands, roll the chicken pieces into mini meatballs.

In a large (14-inch) skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs and cook without moving until brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the meatballs over and brown the other side, about 2 minutes longer. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tomatoes are soft and meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water. Transfer pasta to a large serving bowl and add the Parmesan. Toss to lightly coat orecchiette, adding reserved pasta water, if needed, to loosen the pasta. Add the meatball mixture, mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup of the basil. Gently toss to combine. Garnish with the chopped basil.

And I didn't have ketchup so I substituted tomato paste and a little sugar and vinegar.

The Kale soup recipe on the cover of Food Network mag this month was pretty solid, much to my surprise.

I grew a ton of Kale in my garden and didn't want it go to waste, but I had time getting into a recipe I liked. People won't shut up about it as a superfood so I gave it a go. If you're a fan of a good soup on a cold day, give it a shot.

If you need things to do with kale, it's not too shabby just wilted into other dishes. I made a variation on that mushroom quinoa I posted earlier in this thread a couple weeks ago but in the dutch oven, and at the end I brought it back out to the stove and threw in a ton of kale and let it wilt down; then stirred it all together.

Similarly (with a dutch oven) if you do roasted chicken and other root-y veggies, you cook all the chicken and root veggies together, then when the chicken is done, pull that out - deglaze the pan and veggies with a little bit of white or red wine, toss in some kale and let it wilt down. makes for a nice hearty side along w/ some quinoa or brown/wild rice.

We do kale in our breakfast smoothies.

yeah, and definitely this.
a friend of mine does all of his "base" blending at once (kale, spinach, some almond milk) and then freezes it in portions to then throw into whatever smoothie he's making. helps you use all your leafy greens without them going bad - especially helpful when you buy them in 5 lb bags.

If you need things to do with kale, it's not too shabby just wilted into other dishes. I made a variation on that mushroom quinoa I posted earlier in this thread a couple weeks ago but in the dutch oven, and at the end I brought it back out to the stove and threw in a ton of kale and let it wilt down; then stirred it all together.

Similarly (with a dutch oven) if you do roasted chicken and other root-y veggies, you cook all the chicken and root veggies together, then when the chicken is done, pull that out - deglaze the pan and veggies with a little bit of white or red wine, toss in some kale and let it wilt down. makes for a nice hearty side along w/ some quinoa or brown/wild rice.

Did a roast chicken tonight as a matter of fact....I always marvel at how much liquidity pools in the bottom of the pan.

Anyone got any good combos they like for smoothies? Thinking of fruit/greens, not really yogurt. I gotta Vitamix so it can grind that shit up good.

Back