• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

what's to chop up? just toss it in the blender and let it go to town. i didn't ask him specifically, but I would recommend using the little dixie cups and using 2-3 for your smoothie so you don't have one monster block of frozen in there.
you could also probably do it in ice cube trays and just pop a few out.

to clarify, he basically makes a smoothie of just kale and spinach and then freezes that... he doesn't just freeze pieces of kale.

i oftentimes just wash them, let them dry, and then put them in the freezer. it's pretty easy to separate the bunches if you let them dry.

what's to chop up? just toss it in the blender and let it go to town. i didn't ask him specifically, but I would recommend using the little dixie cups and using 2-3 for your smoothie so you don't have one monster block of frozen in there.
you could also probably do it in ice cube trays and just pop a few out.

to clarify, he basically makes a smoothie of just kale and spinach and then freezes that... he doesn't just freeze pieces of kale.

Right. I was worried about having one monster block of ice.

Dutch Oven braised country style ribs

Ingredients
3 pounds bone-in country-style pork ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Pat the ribs dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the ribs on all sides, working in batches if needed. Remove the ribs and set aside. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the Dutch oven and reduce the heat to medium. Add the carrots, celery, onions and some salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, to remove the raw flavor, about 3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, and then add the red pepper flakes and bay leaves.

Add the ribs back to the pan and add enough stock to reach halfway up the sides of the ribs. Bring the pan to a simmer, cover and place in the oven. Braise until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. During the last half hour, uncover to allow the liquid to reduce and the pork to brown.

I tried making those chilaquiles tonight but burned the shit out of the tortillas and could find adobo peppers. I'll have to try again later.

I tried making those chilaquiles tonight but burned the shit out of the tortillas and could find adobo peppers. I'll have to try again later.

Are we sure it's not canned chipotles in adobo? Those are on the ethnic aisle in any grocery and a different product from dried chipotles. I've never seen ancho in adobo but I don't live in LA where the selection is prob better.

Are we sure it's not canned chipotles in adobo? Those are on the ethnic aisle in any grocery and a different product from dried chipotles. I've never seen ancho in adobo but I dong live in LA where the selection is prob better.

I couldn't find a dried chipotle or ancho in adobe so I used 2 chipotle in adobo.

Are we sure it's not canned chipotles in adobo? Those are on the ethnic aisle in any grocery and a different product from dried chipotles. I've never seen ancho in adobo but I don't live in LA where the selection is prob better.
Nah it's canned chipotles in adobo

I'm confused.

Buckets should stick to finance rather than writing recipes.

I'm confused.

Buckets should stick to finance rather than writing recipes.
I just mixed up the chilis

Chipotle in adobo sauce
Dried ancho

I actually don't even know how much the dried chili matters, work with whatever is around

Made some bomb ass tomatillo sauce tonight with the immersion blender I got for Christmas. 4 peeled tomatillos, 1/2 peeled mango, 1 jalapeño, 2 Serrano peppers, 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, 3 cloves, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon lime juice, salt to taste

Made this recipe this week, and it was incredible. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gochujang-Pork-Shoulder-Steaks-51239730

I was a little wary of grilling pork shoulder like a steak, but it was fantastic. The only difference between the recipe and mine was that I used a 1.5 lb of bone-in pork shoulder cut into one roughly 1.5" steak (as opposed to two separate boneless 3/4" steaks). Cooked it on the grill for about 20 minutes. Served it with some simple asian slaw (sesame oil, soy, rice wine vinegar and a few peanuts).

So I want to branch out my mushroom horizons, what's are your favorites?

I guess the first two aren't avail at Whole Paycheck?

Yeah, the fact that I didn't understand it as being funny and that phan is the one who lol'd... I'm guessing those are for a different kind of eating.

But for real- mushrooms. I've only recently started enjoying them (still don't like the texture, but the flavor is so great). I like chantrells and morels, which are also conveniently hunted around here... I'm hoping someone takes me with them this year.

Yeah, the fact that I didn't understand it as being funny and that phan is the one who lol'd... I'm guessing those are for a different kind of eating.

But for real- mushrooms. I've only recently started enjoying them (still don't like the texture, but the flavor is so great). I like chantrells and morels, which are also conveniently hunted around here... I'm hoping someone takes me with them this year.

I mean the ones I posted actually are ones you eat

idk what was funny to phan either, and i love mushrooms

Back