• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Yeah, the fact that I didn't understand it as being funny and that phan is the one who lol'd... I'm guessing those are for a different kind of eating.

But for real- mushrooms. I've only recently started enjoying them (still don't like the texture, but the flavor is so great). I like chantrells and morels, which are also conveniently hunted around here... I'm hoping someone takes me with them this year.

i want to take a foraging class. i came across a ton of shrooms after the recent rains on my property but didnt know how to make heads or tails of them.

oh, the first link for blue foot was "blue foot hallucinogenic" so I assumed...

anyway. clearly my mushroom game needs work, too.

Psilocybe caerulipes, commonly known as blue-foot, is a rare psilocybin mushroom of the Strophariaceae family, having psilocybin and psilocin as main active compounds.

and i guess that's now what you mean now, but i thought you were trying to be sly. my b.

so my gma got me a badass mandolin for my bday. i also happen to have a jar of duck fat from a duck i roasted a couple weeks back. potatoes au gratin here i come. any recs on the best cheeses?

my girl giada's recipe uses gruyere, asiago, and peccorino romano

gruyere was my first thought. so yummy. so melty.

I would bath myself in gruyere if socially acceptable

Sounds like you just need more accepting friends.

Some nice Vermont cheddar would also go nice w/ some au grat

BUCKETS WORLD FAMOUS (rojas) CHILAQUILES (actually still a work in process; suggestions/tweaks welcome)

Ingredients
Sauce:
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
3 stemmed jalapenos
2 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce plus scrap out the sauce gunk; be careful here these things get hot, DO NOT put a whole can or you will have massive fire butt
1 dried ancho pepper; also be careful here, this really ups the spice level for you wusses
1/2 white onion
3 garlic gloves
Salt

Chips:
Technically you should leave out some corn tortillas, let em get stale then cut them into chips and crisp them up by frying in some oil
BUT the whole foods by me makes their own tortilla chips in-house and they're thick and crunchy, so i leave those out overnight and they're fine
Point is that you want some nice thick ass corn chips that won't get too soggy, so do whatever works. You can't drop tostino's in this meal.

Other Stuff:
Chicken Broth
Liquid Smoke
Queso Fresco
Shredded sharp cheddar
Guac
Chicken*
Cilantro
Chopped onion
Sour cream (if you want)

Cooking:
1 - Put all the sauce stuff in a food processor/high speed blender and blend it all into a smooth ass sauce
2 - Heat up 1 tbsp or so of vegetable oil in a pan on the stove, pour the sauce into the pan, add two drops of liquid smoke
3 - Get it close to bubbling and then turn the heat to low and add ~1 cup of chicken broth, stir it all up
4 - Add the chips, to avoid breakage try not to move them or stir too much, just one quick slide under the sauce
5 - Cover it up and let it marinate for not more than 5 minutes (in my experience anything more than 5 minutes will make them soggy)
6 - My recommendation is to use tongs to pull the chips out directly otherwise you'll have a nice bowl of tortilla chilaquile soup
7 - Make a nice base layer of chips, put the cheese on first so it melts on the chips; let it cool for a minute then sprinkle some chopped onions, then add a dallop of guac, then add some chicken (I don't give a shit what kind of chicken you use*), then your cilantro and maybe sour cream (I personally feel like the sour cream is overkill but white ppl love so I thought it made sense to suggest it to you guys)

*chicken: my suggestion is to get a rotisserie chicken, pull the meat off and pat it dry. then cover it in a blend of chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and crisp it up in a cast iron pan with some oil. but honestly - i've left the chicken out completely and its fine, so do whatever here.

Tried some CHILAQUILES at lunch today. Went to Las Estrellas in Winston. I was disappointed. They did not look near as good as this recipe sounds or the Google images.

In case you need a dope banana bread recipe:

3 bananas, very ripe, mashed
1/2 cup oil (I use canola)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white, but all white works too)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
dash of salt
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Beat together sugar and oil.
Add eggs and mashed bananas. Beat well.
Add dry ingredients, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
Stir in choc chips.
Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1 1/4 hours or until a sharp knife comes our clean.

Gonna make the brussel sprouts and quinoa gratin posted recently on that C&K blog phan posted from in the OP.

I've been working on stepping up my soup game. I've discovered the key is making my own chicken broth. I came up with a recipe that I would like to share because it was one of the best soups I've ever made.

Chicken Stir-Fry Soup

3 cups of chopped/finely cut-up chicken
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 green onion, sliced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of soy sauce

I had roasted a chicken the night before and used the carcass for my broth. We had the dark half of the chicken left over, so I sauteed the above mix to give the roasted chicken some flavor.

I had probably two quarts or more of broth to work with and I brought it back up to a boil.
1 small onion, chopped
4 green onions, sliced up
3 carrots, sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons of grated ginger

I added the above to the boiling broth for about 10 minutes, you could completely reserve the green onions if you wanted them to add a crunch.

Sliced greens of one bok choy
1 bunch of broccoli, cut up

I added these and cooked for about 5 minutes so the broccoli wouldn't get mushy. Then add:

1 spoonful of chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
Chicken

This worked really well by serving the soup over rice noodles and then adding soy sauce to taste to the bowl.

It's one of those recipes that can be easily modified based on the veggies you like and you can add some additional honey if you like a sweeter profile. Maybe a teaspoon of fish sauce for a saltier profile.

I'm happy to share my broth recipe if anyone needs one.

Who can learn me about making veggie broth? Do you just freeze all your excess veggie parts and then boil it on Sundays every week? Anybody have a good method?

Back