• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

I've been crushing it with wings lately. Harris Teeter has great deals where you can get 40 frozen wings for $10. I grill them until they start to get a little black/crispy (~8mins high heat flipping 2 or 3 times) and then I make the wing sauce and toss it in a bowl with the wings.

Sauce recipe (cook in small pot and mix until you see bubbles)

2/3 cup Frank's hot sauce
1/4 stick of butter
1.5 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 ts Worcestershire sauce
1/2 ts other hot sauce (add more for more spice)
1/4 ts cayenne pepper (add more for more spice)
1/8 ts garlic powder

Roasting a chicken tonight. Whole Foods finally actually had a great deal on meat for the first time in human history so I picked up 5 whole birds while they were $1.99/lb.

I'm not sure there's a finer homemade meal than a roast chicken.

ETA: Since this is the recipe/cooking thread, I'll add that I use the Thomas Keller method.

Paper towel pat dry chicken inside and out thoroughly, pat with salt and pepper inside and out, tie the chicken up with butcher's twine, roast on a rack over a grill pan at 450 for 45-50 minutes (or as needed to reach 165).

So simple, so delicious.

Last edited:
Roasting a chicken tonight. Whole Foods finally actually had a great deal on meat for the first time in human history so I picked up 5 whole birds while they were $1.99

I've found that the boneless skinless chicken thighs are better quality and cheaper from whole foods meat department than the prepackaged ones from HT

Made some bomb-ass jambalaya and king cake... Then volunteered to help the baby finder make king cupcakes next year.

God I love King cake. My mom usually sends me one from a bakery back home, but nothing this year :tear:

Roasting a chicken tonight. Whole Foods finally actually had a great deal on meat for the first time in human history so I picked up 5 whole birds while they were $1.99/lb.

ETA: Since this is the recipe/cooking thread, I'll add that I use the Thomas Keller method.

Paper towel pat dry chicken inside and out thoroughly, pat with salt and pepper inside and out, tie the chicken up with butcher's twine, roast on a rack over a grill pan at 450 for 45-50 minutes (or as needed to reach 165).

So simple, so delicious.

Mmmm. You going to make chicken stock too?

I have a shit ton of bones and carcassses in my fridge. I need to make stock soon.

Made some bomb-ass jambalaya and king cake... Then volunteered to help the baby finder make king cupcakes next year.

Jambalaya is tough to get right. Hint, if it has any hint of red tones in it, it is wrong. Gotta be brownish. Growing up, we had a king cake every Friday at school with the baby finder bringing it in the next week. You want to lose friends fast....forget that fucking cake on a Friday.

So simple, so delicious.

Same exact thing two days ago (although the WF yardbird was only marked down to $2.49. I'm assuming WF has calibrated their pricing to the prosperity of the Carolina Comeback. No matter, still a value.)

Next time you do it, please consider zesting (first, into your cure) and scoring second two halves of the same lemon, and then stuffing the bird with them prior to tying her down. Easily the best yield of any addition to the roast bird. Fresh juice spends the entire time fighting its way out of the bird, and by the time you let it rest, it is perfect.

I have to disable all the smoke alarms in my apartment every time I use the oven, but other than that, everything turned out fantastic yesterday.

A roast chicken is simply sublime.

I saved the carcass for stock, the skin for chicken skin tacos, and what was left of the meat for sandwiches.

I have to disable all the smoke alarms in my apartment every time I use the oven, but other than that, everything turned out fantastic yesterday.

A roast chicken is simply sublime.

I saved the carcass for stock, the skin for chicken skin tacos, and what was left of the meat for sandwiches.

The best part about it is the vegetables in the roasting pan. It is so easy and perfect it feels like cheating.

I have to disable all the smoke alarms in my apartment every time I use the oven.

Every time we make something that gets a little smokey our whole house erupts. There is one smoke detector near the kitchen that is super sensitive and all of our detectors are linked so that when one goes off they all go off. And they are hardwired to the house so we have to shut off the breaker rather than take out the battery. Pain in the ass.

Jambalaya is tough to get right. Hint, if it has any hint of red tones in it, it is wrong. Gotta be brownish. Growing up, we had a king cake every Friday at school with the baby finder bringing it in the next week. You want to lose friends fast....forget that fucking cake on a Friday.

How do you make tomatoes brown?

Every time we make something that gets a little smokey our whole house erupts. There is one smoke detector near the kitchen that is super sensitive and all of our detectors are linked so that when one goes off they all go off. And they are hardwired to the house so we have to shut off the breaker rather than take out the battery. Pain in the ass.

the bedroom ceiling slopes up to 15 feet, and that's where the smoke detector is bc of course, so if that one goes off, we're basically fucked - we close the doors to the bedroom when we cook, but they're french doors so it does very little ultimately

other than that, ours are wired into the walls and don't use batteries, so it's a pain, but taking them down is easier than fanning them every minute for the end of a cook

interestingly, Keller has two methods, one from Ad Hoc at Home, the other from the Bouchon cookbook. The former has you put the bird on top of root veggies to let the juices and fat drip down. The other is the one Townie did with nothing but the bird and it de-emphasizes anything that could cause steam and not make the skin crisp. Both methods are great, it just depends on what you're serving with the bird -- those veggies are damn good, but it does impact the skin a bit.

yeah i used the non-veggie version specifically because we were going to use the skin tonight

typically i put a whole roasting pan full of root veggies down there

Back