• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Last edited:
My point exactly. Tomato has not place in jambalaya. No place at all. You be doin it wrong.

Tell it to Emeril. It's his recipe.

I wanted to do the one from my Baton Rouge Junior League cookbook, but didn't have time.

I have a BR Junior league CB as well from the 80s. I would pick up the John Folse Encyclopedia if you are into that type of cooking. It is huge and has a ton of great stuff.

For steak I haven't mastered the art of the reverse sear, and I haven't tried my hand at sous vide, but my 100% high heat method is pretty tasty for basic grocery store or Costco cuts of meat.

1. Put a shit-ton of salt on both sides of a steak (preferably ribeye with a huge cap) and let it rest for a minimum of an hour.
2. Wash off all of the salt and pat dry with multiple paper towels.
3. Add oil and lots of Dizzy Pig Cow Lick seasoning.
4. Get the grill roaring for about 10 minutes on high heat (this is when I cook my squash or asparagus side dish).
5. Cook steak for 7mins over the hottest spot of the grill (4 flips of 1min45sec intervals for good grill marks and consistency; it's easy to time with the phone app 'Clock'). This typically gets a perfect medium rare; if it is not cooked enough based on the palm-of-your-hand test I'll leave it on the grill for a little longer.
6. Add a spoonful of butter and let it melt over the steak. Add thyme.
7. Let it rest for 5mins and enjoy.

I have to disable all the smoke alarms in my apartment every time I use the oven, but other than that, everything turned out fantastic yesterday.

A roast chicken is simply sublime.

I saved the carcass for stock, the skin for chicken skin tacos, and what was left of the meat for sandwiches.

I found that cooking the chicken at 450 led to a smoky kitchen. 425 takes about 5-7 minutes longer but solved the smoke problem for me.

As a side tonight roasted up some asparagus, topped with goat cheese, bacon, and a little lemon juice. It was delicious and very easy, just fired the asparagus in the oven on 450 for 8 minutes or so.

Saw this thread and just felt like giving a shout out to Blue Apron. Also have a bunch of free meals if anyone is interested - we don't benefit or anything, we just enjoy the service.

Saw this thread and just felt like giving a shout out to Blue Apron. Also have a bunch of free meals if anyone is interested - we don't benefit or anything, we just enjoy the service.

same - we got our first box on tuesday and made our first meal last night; farrow jambalaya with mitake mushrooms. delicious.

same - we got our first box on tuesday and made our first meal last night; farrow jambalaya with mitake mushrooms. delicious.

Next week they're doing another dish from Mei Lin who just won Top Chef. Really looking forward to it because the congee dish they did of hers from the first show of the season was one of the top 5 dishes we've ever had from Blue Apron.

Next week they're doing another dish from Mei Lin who just won Top Chef. Really looking forward to it because the congee dish they did of hers from the first show of the season was one of the top 5 dishes we've ever had from Blue Apron.

we're on the vegetarian box, so unless it's a modified dish we probably won't get it. womp womp.

Is Red Apron like a CSA or more like BirchBox for food?

kind of both?
it's a box with recipes/instructions and complete ingredients for 3 meals (including spices), but only exactly what is necessary - for example, they sent one stalk of celery for the dish last night. not one bunch of celery of which you use one stalk, but just one singular stalk. it's nice to be able to cook w/ fresh ingredients and know that you won't be wasting a ton of some random thing (not to say that you can't use celery otherwise, but for example i almost always end up throwing away cilantro because i can't use it all before it goes bad). the only thing it presumes you have is olive oil, salt and pepper.

Back