• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

When I think super easy I think rendered duck fat.

It's what melts off the duck breasts. You put the duck in a dry pan (with no oil or butter) and tons melt off. Then I just poured it into another pan and crisped up the potatoes.

It does seem like almost every dish that uses duck fat is delicious

Mustard potatoes, smoked wings, sauerkraut for dinner.

My wife did her first low country boil tonight. Turned out great!

11825106_10207396158000778_2795733530047529141_n.jpg

My wife did her first low country boil tonight. Turned out great!

11825106_10207396158000778_2795733530047529141_n.jpg

That's one of my favorite things my mom makes. We have one of the best seafood markets in the country and the shrimp boats dock right outside so the shrimp are amazing.

Two important things:

1. Has anyone had any success baking bread at home without a bread maker? Follow up: is a bread maker a good thing to get?

2. Learn me a good hummus recipe. I've tried like a billion, including several from the boards, and still haven't found a home run yet. Looking for a good base formula that I can get creative with.

Bread maker really helps for bread. I loved mine from the 80s before it finally broke.

grilled pizza (mozz, prosciutto, arugula, diced red pepper) on Monday with a new method and it was goddamn delicious

I got a wicked craving the other day for my mom's spaghetti with meat sauce. I haven't cooked it in years since it has stuff like jarred Ragu and other canned tomato things, but dammit if I'm not making tonight. Though I'm subbing ground turkey supplemented with a half pound of chuck instead of full ground chuck.

Usually I'm making much more complicated pasta sauces/braises, but this one was my favorite thing as a kid

Marinated some tofu in chermoulah, honey, bay leaves and bleu cheese. Roasted it with some summer squash, cherry tomatoes, garlic, onions, potatoes, and artichokes. Put it over some sauteed mustard greens and dandelion greens. Good stuff.

It's been tough adjusting to the difficulty of grocery shopping in NYC. Any recommendations for recipes that don't involve a bunch of ingredients that I have to take home 50 blocks with me?

It's been tough adjusting to the difficulty of grocery shopping in NYC. Any recommendations for recipes that don't involve a bunch of ingredients that I have to take home 50 blocks with me?

No. Get used to lugging groceries on the subway with you. It's a rite of passage.

Back