• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

it will automatically prompt it to send weekly, but you can opt out of them (just have to remember to do it).

boxes are $60/per for a two person box (so $10 per person per meal), and the portions are really generous (jason had seconds last night, and i'm eating leftovers today).

you can also add in dietary restrictions, etc. it asks you about what proteins you would like to receive (ie: we eat all of the meats vs. we only eat chicken/fish) and tailors your included meals that way.

I've tried Plated and Blue Apron and likes the meals from Plated way more. Could've just been a bad week though.

I've tried Plated and Blue Apron and likes the meals from Plated way more. Could've just been a bad week though.

I'll second that. I check the selection for Plated, Blue Apron, and Hello Fresh every week and 9/10 I go with Plated. Got a box with four meals yesterday, the first one we cooked was skate wing with roasted potatoes and sunchoke. We've been using these services for about a year and have a solid catalog of recipes, but the only ones I really go back to are from Plated.

They all have referral systems that offer free meals to both parties if anyone is interested shoot me or one of these other folks a PM. There are also tons of coupon codes out there you can just Google.

We know about 4-5 other couples that have tried both and everyone ended up sticking with Blue Apron.

Maybe it depends on what weeks you got for the trial. The ethnic stuff from Blue Apron - particularly the Thai and Mexican - are usually really good. I've heard some say Plated is better for more American stuff and the basics. They also seem to do a lot more pasta.

Maybe we'll hit up Plated for a few weeks and see what we think. I really love these services.

We know about 4-5 other couples that have tried both and everyone ended up sticking with Blue Apron.

Maybe it depends on what weeks you got for the trial. The ethnic stuff from Blue Apron - particularly the Thai and Mexican - are usually really good. I've heard some say Plated is better for more American stuff and the basics. They also seem to do a lot more pasta.

Maybe we'll hit up Plated for a few weeks and see what we think. I really love these services.

Have you tried Scratch DC? And if so, how does it compare?

We did that a couple times months ago, and liked it, but haven't tried any of them again. Have a Blue Apron free trial set for the week after next, then want to try Plated (thanks to DeaconSoDear for the freebie). I don't think any of them are something we'll do consistently due to cost, time, and wanting to eat the majority of our meals with the kiddo, but I do like that they exist.

Checked out Scratch DC but didn't try it. I really like the idea and the food looks great but our schedules are pretty hectic so guaranteeing we want a meal delivered for a certain evening doesn't really work for us. There's also another local one that does fully prepared paleo and super healthy meals that's really popular. We kind of enjoy the prep and cooking though.

Another Chilaques recipe from Lucky Peach:

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/skillet-chilaquiles/

Also, I made Steven Satterfield's (chef at Miller Union here in the A) Savannah Red Rice this wknd. Turned out really well, only takes about an hour.

http://www.countryliving.com/food-d...ed-rice-shrimp-smoked-sausage-recipe-clx0311/

You can also watch Satterfield make this recipe with Sean Brock on Mind of Chef, Season 2, Episode 7.

54eb4d0ae4882_-_march-recipes-shrimp-0311-xl.jpg

Mind of a Chef is such a dope show

Yep. I am about halfway through the Sean Brock season on Netflix. There are not many people with games tighter than his right now. Had a meal at Husk Nashville last fall and was just blown away.

The technique on Mind is a little different from the printed cookbook recipe, and I went with the vid technique.

Last edited:
hopefully he does something for minero. TAB i think you'll like that when it comes to Atlanta.

my girl* is helping out with that opening, apparently going back and forth

*brews's girl

Just made an omelette stuffed with jambalaya and Cabot. Simply amazing.

Back