• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

deacphan

Reaction score
It came up in the CT.

ITT, we post recipes, ideas, techniques, whatever.

I'll get started. Trying to cook veg pretty much every day during the week. This has gotten me doing a lot of recipe searching to try find good veg protein sources that aren't just beans and rice.

This is a really good falafel recipe.

http://cookieandkate.com/2012/baked-falafel/

it's great because you can use pretty much one or two fresh herbs (between parsley, dill, coriander/cilantro) and sub the rest with dry. the sauce can be modified with harissa to add some spice or cucumber to make tzatziki.

serve a few of the dips with the salad and pita.

I'd like to add some cookbooks to my kitchen, as much for style as function. Any sweet looking cookbooks with bombass recipes?

Likewise, which blogs are peeps checking on the reg?

ETA: I think i'mma make that falafel tonight!

Love falafel, but I'm not sure I could eat enough in a sitting to justify making them at home. Does the mixture keep?

On the opposite end of the spectrum of cooking veg, I made this last night: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

Turned out very well, but a little dry. Got greedy and went with 8 chicken thighs on the top of the Dutch oven, which made it hard to monitor the liquid level.

Love falafel, but I'm not sure I could eat enough in a sitting to justify making them at home. Does the mixture keep?

On the opposite end of the spectrum of cooking veg, I made this last night: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

Turned out very well, but a little dry. Got greedy and went with 8 chicken thighs on the top of the Dutch oven, which made it hard to monitor the liquid level.

Oh gawd that will be a weekend meal.

that recipe makes like 10 which is great for 4 servings. i wfh, so i'll bake the uncooked frozen ones later in the week for lunch. another thing is you could do another mezze another night to do 2 dinners for 2.

Last edited:

Well done. I fucking love cassoulet.

What I'm really looking for are reliable, creative, interesting sous vide recipes. You do any sous vide, phan?

Last edited:
Baked quinoa recipe w/ a sauteed mushroom blend, garlic and gouda ... veggie, hearty, and quinoa is great for protein.

Cook the quinoa in broth (more flavor)
Do a small onion in some EVOO, once it's soft add in mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster) and let it get all awesome. Once the mushrooms have softened, add in 3-4 cloves garlic and some chives. Deglaze the pan w/ more broth, and scrape it all into the quinoa.
Mix it all up with a good bit of shredded gouda and a little bit more EVOO.
Spread into a baking dish, and then sprinkle more gouda on top.
Bake until the cheese on top is all melted and bubbling - 10ish minutes at 400 degrees.

You can also pretty easily add in sauteed kale or spinach with this as well.

That cassoulet recipe looks incredible, and I just got a dutch oven for Christmas.

Juice, the author of this cassoulet recipe (Kenji) has incredible recipes that have never failed me, and I've probably made at least 50 of them. his column is called The Food Lab, and he has a few posts per week on Serious Eats. this is what I'm making for the Super Bowl I think:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ayonnaise-quick-pickled-cucumbers-recipe.html

I love collecting cookbooks, and some of my favorites over the years have been Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller, Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless, Molto Italiano by Mario Batali, and A New Turn in the South by Hugh Acheson. I just picked up Sean Brock's new one Heritage which looks great as well as Charles Phan's Vietnamese Cooking at Home, David Chang's Momofuku cookbook and Pickles, Pig, and Whiskey by John Currence. Those will keep me busy for a while.

I'd like to add some cookbooks to my kitchen, as much for style as function. Any sweet looking cookbooks with bombass recipes?

Likewise, which blogs are peeps checking on the reg?

ETA: I think i'mma make that falafel tonight!

I have/use/like these:

Esquire "Eat like a Man"
Men's Health "Guy Gourmet"
Bobby Flay "Boy Gets Grill"
John Currence "Pickles, Pigs and Whiskey..."

Haven't used, but looks phenomenal and recommend for high style (if nothing else):
Sean Brock "Heritage"

I've got one of Francis Mallman's books too, but I can't seem to think of the name of it ("Seven Fires; Cooking the Argentine Way," I think).

Hearing good things about the Thug Kitchen cookbook, but haven't looked at it myself yet.

What I'm really looking for is reliable, creative, interesting sous vide recipes. You do any sous vide, phan?

MY BOY does.

we did a MONTE pork. use a tenderloain or chops, season with cumin, s&p. then put it in the baggy or w/e with mustard and rosemary/thyme/sage. i think we did it at like 140 for a few hours. finish n the grill or with a torch.

Juice, the author of this cassoulet recipe (Kenji) has incredible recipes that have never failed me, and I've probably made at least 50 of them. his column is called The Food Lab, and he has a few posts per week on Serious Eats. this is what I'm making for the Super Bowl I think:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ayonnaise-quick-pickled-cucumbers-recipe.html

I love collecting cookbooks, and some of my favorites over the years have been Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller, Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless, Molto Italiano by Mario Batali, and A New Turn in the South by Hugh Acheson. I just picked up Sean Brock's new one Heritage which looks great as well as Charles Phan's Vietnamese Cooking at Home, David Chang's Momofuku cookbook and Pickles, Pig, and Whiskey by John Currence. Those will keep me busy for a while.

I'm a complete neophyte, but I do own this cookbook. What would you suggest I tackle?

Baked quinoa recipe w/ a sauteed mushroom blend, garlic and gouda ... veggie, hearty, and quinoa is great for protein.

Cook the quinoa in broth (more flavor)
Do a small onion in some EVOO, once it's soft add in mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster) and let it get all awesome. Once the mushrooms have softened, add in 3-4 cloves garlic and some chives. Deglaze the pan w/ more broth, and scrape it all into the quinoa.
Mix it all up with a good bit of shredded gouda and a little bit more EVOO.
Spread into a baking dish, and then sprinkle more gouda on top.
Bake until the cheese on top is all melted and bubbling - 10ish minutes at 400 degrees.

You can also pretty easily add in sauteed kale or spinach with this as well.

wooooorrd. one thing that's helped me with doing all the different grains constantly is making a fresh veg stock weekly. i mix up the herbs or veg based on what i have on hand. did a huge pot of mushroom stock for some mushroom risotto i did.

What I'm really looking for are reliable, creative, interesting sous vide recipes. You do any sous vide, phan?

do you have a sous vide machine? wife actually ended up getting me both Anova models. she went in on the Kickstarter for the latest for my birthday and it was super delayed so she ended up ordering me the old model, so now I have both. and she got me a Foodsaver for Christmas.

Again, Kenji from Serious Eats has some good recipes in his Sous Vide 101 series and wife got me Thomas Keller's Under Pressure cookbook. We had an event with Chef Douglas Keane (Top Chef Masters winner) and he told me Keller's cookbook is great but the temps are off. So he sent me his cheat sheet:

Tri Tip 52.3 C five hours
Shortribs 57.2 for 42 hours
Beef cheek 62 for 72 hours
Striploin beef 51C for 30-40 (logs)
Big steaks 49 for 3hrs 45 minutes
Tri tip 52.3. For 5 hours
Pork belly. 61.5 for 36 hours
Pork cheek 61.5 for 36 hours
Duck confit. 85C for 6 hours
Duck Breast 51Clpp for 45 -60 min
Sea Trout (50g portions)
49C for 7 minutes
Poussin breast 60C for 15 minutes
Pork tenderloins 59C for 1 hour

Circulated eggs. 62C. 75 minutes

MY BOY does.

we did a MONTE pork. use a tenderloain or chops, season with cumin, s&p. then put it in the baggy or w/e with mustard and rosemary/thyme/sage. i think we did it at like 140 for a few hours. finish n the grill or with a torch.

I really need to up my torch game. I've got the Cooks Illustrated-recommended butane torch, but it's not doing it. Want to go full propane, but I'm not sure my galley kitchen can handle it.

Did some confit a few weeks ago that turned out really well. Dropped some pear halves with pomegranate molasses into the sous vide during the final two hours. That was good.

do you have a sous vide machine? wife actually ended up getting me both Anova models. she went in on the Kickstarter for the latest for my birthday and it was super delayed so she ended up ordering me the old model, so now I have both. and she got me a Foodsaver for Christmas.

Again, Kenji from Serious Eats has some good recipes in his Sous Vide 101 series and wife got me Thomas Keller's Under Pressure cookbook. We had an event with Chef Douglas Keane (Top Chef Masters winner) and he told me Keller's cookbook is great but the temps are off. So he sent me his cheat sheet:

I have the Sous Vide Supreme plus an industrial vacuum sealer, yeah. Also have Under Pressure, which is beautiful but kind of impractical for a home cook. I'll take a look at the cheat sheet -- I've sort of got my own set of temps that have worked well for my machine in the past, but it's always good to cross them with others, I've found.

And yeah, I like Kenji's recipes. Been a fan of his for quite some time.

How many of yall have taken a knife skills class, and would you recommend one or do you think just time/practice will help an average joe home cook?

I've been making and honing a bomb ass chilaquiles recipe for a few weekends

How many of yall have taken a knife skills class, and would you recommend one or do you think just time/practice will help an average joe home cook?

Go volunteer at a nonprofit kitchen. Did prep work one night a week for about a year, and it definitely improved my knife skills, at least with veggies. Best way to dice like a boss is to tackle hundreds of onions at a stretch.

I've been making and honing a bomb ass chilaquiles recipe for a few weekends

Let's see it.

It's not quite ready for primetime, maybe one more iteration tomorrow

def recommended. makes prep so much quicker/easier.

Back