• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

It dramatically reduces cooking time for some things like dry beans and increases it for some others. It is what it is.

No I get that, but the coming to pressure/depressurization times need to be better factored in. It’s not like preheating an oven where you prep the dish at the same time. You have to put all the ingredients in before you can start coming to pressure. All of the recipes you see just mention the cooking time itself.

if you want something really ambitious, Daniel Boulud's short ribs:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...bs-Braised-in-Red-Wine-with-Celery-Duo-106671

I made this oven cooked Bolognese on Christmas Eve and it was incredible:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/the-best-slow-cooked-bolognese-sauce-recipe.html

The bolognese was a huge success with the entire family. It took a long time but was not that technically difficult. We had more than enough for two dinners.

Pizza night!

72 hr bulk fermentation, 60% hydration

Potato and Pancetta
-EVOO base
-Parm, Mozz, Smoked Gouda
-Chopped Rosemary to finish

Mushroom and Pancetta
-Red Sauce
-Parm, Mozz
-Shrooms sautéed in fat rendered from the Pancetta

0e117baaa577b668ed4c146ffbecab35.jpg

anybody have a jalapeno popper recipe they like?

preferably vegetarian but I can modify
That's funny you should ask right now. I just made some (although with taco ground beef), but they were great. Maybe you can modify with black beans. 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Very seasoned with taco seasoning and all the seeds of the jalapeno insides, cumin. onion powder, salt, garlic, panko, pepper and paprika. After cooking. I added cheddar cheese and let sit. Spray oil on the bottom and top of the panko.

anybody have a jalapeno popper recipe they like?

preferably vegetarian but I can modify
The bacon is probably the best part of this recipe, but I'm sure you can leave it out.
  • 12 jalapenos
  • 1 8 oz. block cream cheese
  • 1 cup fancy shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp green onion or chives, chopped (or 1/2 tsp onion powder)
  • 8 oz. bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
  • 1/4 panko breadcrums
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
Cut jalapenos in half lengthwise and de-seed and de-membrane (or leave them if you want more spice - I usually leave in some seeds).
Mix together all other ingredients except panko and butter.
Mix panko and butter.
Fill jalapeno halves with filling. Top with panko.
Bake @ 400 for 15-20 min (until golden and bubbly). You can also air fry, but my air fryer only fits 5 or 6 jalapeno halves, so I find baking to be easier.

Wife and I cook a lot and love to cook and are quite good at it, but we have been notoriously bad at cooking fish. I have absolutely destroyed hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of perfectly lovely seafood. A friend recently recommended this book and we have been crushing it. We're fish people now. Cannot recommend enough. Not only are there recipes, but there are instructions on how to cook different fish and why certain methods are better than others. It also provides substitution suggestions for every recipe.

shopping

Wife and I cook a lot and love to cook and are quite good at it, but we have been notoriously bad at cooking fish. I have absolutely destroyed hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of perfectly lovely seafood. A friend recently recommended this book and we have been crushing it. We're fish people now. Cannot recommend enough. Not only are there recipes, but there are instructions on how to cook different fish and why certain methods are better than others. It also provides substitution suggestions for every recipe.

shopping

Can you repost the pic or post the title? It’s not showing up for me. I don’t cook fish that often because my wife hates fish.

I am terrible at cooking fish, and I make it even harder on myself by only cooking frozen fish. White fish is the worst, as badly as I try to serve a whole-intact filet, it ends up just being a pile of fish on the plate.

The thing with fish is when it’s ready to be flipped it will separate cleanly from the pan/grill

I only get to cook/eat fish maybe twice a year so I either pan sear (in non stick pan) or bake salmon with lemon pepper on those rare occasions. Kids, man.

I’d eat tilapia multiple times a week if I could. Fish tacos, marinated, baked, etc etc. Very versatile, sustainable and fairly healthy except for the garbage farming part.

We eat fish multiple times per week and my preference would be to eat it more.

I recommend going to Whole Foods and picking out a whole fish - we prefer snapper. They'll clean and scale it for you, and it's easy to pick out some citrus and herbs to stuff it with. The BGE on indirect heat is great for this because you get a little of that charcoal/smoke flavor while it's basically baking. About an hour depending on the size of the fish. I also like to slice onion and set the fish on top of it.

Not the best picture, but it tasted pretty great.

Snapper.jpg

Or if you have a fish market in town, it's so much cheaper than grocery store, can still get cleaned whole fish super fresh and not frozen. PRIME.

I love cooking fish. Think my fav is still rainbow trout.

Or if you have a fish market in town, it's so much cheaper than grocery store, can still get cleaned whole fish super fresh and not frozen. PRIME.

I love cooking fish. Think my fav is still rainbow trout.
Trout is probs my favorite fish to eat, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in stores. You got a place in town that generally has it?

Back