• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DAT Cooking thread

Nah... I get some they make in the local whole foods and leave them out for a couple days to get stale though

Go volunteer at a nonprofit kitchen. Did prep work one night a week for about a year, and it definitely improved my knife skills, at least with veggies. Best way to dice like a boss is to tackle hundreds of onions at a stretch.

Let's see it.

i worked for a friend that had a food truck that had gone to some fancy culinary school. she was a great chef and taught me a bunch of ish.

There are few things I like in this world more than really good chilaquiles. A new resturant opened up a short time ago near my house and their's are really fantastic. If you get your recipe where you like it lemme know. I'd defs be interested in that ish.

i worked for a friend that had a food truck that had gone to some fancy culinary school. she was a great chef and taught me a bunch of ish.

Yeah I lived with a chef for eight months or so. He wasn't home to cook that much, but when he was I'd learn a lot. It was also great throwing parties with the greatest food in town.

How many of yall have taken a knife skills class, and would you recommend one or do you think just time/practice will help an average joe home cook?

I like bigdoublezero's idea, but my knife skills class really got me better with knives. I didn't have a technique to speak of aside from just mimicking what I saw, and I'm far better at it now.

I'm taking butchering classes next.

I like bigdoublezero's idea, but my knife skills class really got me better with knives. I didn't have a technique to speak of aside from just mimicking what I saw, and I'm far better at it now.

I'm taking butchering classes next.

Have you read "Whole Beast Butchery"? It's good.

I would love to take a course on plating techniques. I'm a pretty damn great cook if I say so myself, but my plating kinda sucks.

yeah, didn't ally go to CA?

my mom grew up in small-town PA, north of Hagerstown, MD.

Both daughters did and I am on the board with Sandra.

I thought she was born in the US and grew up in Guatemala.

Both daughters did and I am on the board with Sandra.

I thought she was born in the US and grew up in Guatemala.

yes- that's where Sandra did (Guatemala); but you asked where my mom did.

yes- that's where Sandra did (Guatemala); but you asked where my mom did.

Gotcha, I read your post as saying your mom and Sandra were childhood friends.

We have her cookbook but haven't done much of it yet. Any recommendations?

Back