• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

wedding party cost question

I was the last of our crew to get married and had always thought the bride and groom missed the best part of day - the after party. We scheduled our wedding for 11AM so we could get the reception out of the way and still have plenty of time for the party. It was an incredibly cold and windy November day, which prompted my best man to remind me just before the ceremony that I had always said it would be a cold day in hell when I got married.

I arranged and paid for the catering for the reception as my wife's mom didn't have any money and her dad was basically a shit. As the reception was winding down I asked the lead waitress how the liquor was holding out and was amazed when she said it was almost gone. I dispatched one groomsman to the liquor store with a few hundred dollars and another to a grocery store to buy a bunch of beer. One of my brothers stuck around at the end of the reception to bring whatever was left of the booze back to my house for the after party.

The waitress was mistaken about the lack of alcohol as my brother showed up at the house with a dozen full bottles. Added to what the groomsmen had purchased and my reasonably stocked bar, we had about three fifths for every party attendee plus several cases of beer (and a lot of recreational drugs). It turned out to be the party within our circle of friends that all others are measured against. The dinning room table was wiped out three times (one guy did it twice), I remember my uncle hitting on my wife's aunt (both married) while my best man was hitting on the aunt's daughter (both single). Some idiot flicked a cigarette butt off of the front stoop and into some leaves, which started a small brush fire. Thankfully, that was in front of the living room picture window so it was noticed pretty quickly. At one point I thought the party was going to die when one of my wife's cousins decided to sing "Misty" to us, but my brother returned from the drug enjoyment room with a cigar in hand halfway through the song and started howling with laughter. I've forgotten her reaction, but it couldn't have been too bad as I ran into her later in the drug room and she seemed happy enough.

By 9 PM I was giving people fifths of liquor as going away presents to get them to leave. We had partied the night before until 4 AM and were pretty damned tired, plus we had to clean the place in the morning before we left on our honeymoon. The last couple left around 11 and we finally went to bed. A couple of hours later there was someone beating on the front door and I had to get up. The only thing I could find in a hurry to put on was my wife's short feathery robe. I opened the door to see one of the groomsmen who had left his wallet at the house and had gotten halfway to Richmond before he realized it. He took one look at me and thought he had interrupted some kinky role playing, wedding night sexathon. It was an awkward conversation with him apologizing and me explaining that it wasn't what it looked like.

Quite a day. We went to The Homestead for our honeymoon and found the place practically deserted. I think there were less than 30 rooms occupied for the first several days. They screwed up our reservations and had us in a room with twin beds. When I objected, they put us in a three room suite that had a couple of fireplaces and a wet bar. The bellman brought some firewood up from the lobby fireplaces and kept us supplied for the week. 10" of snow fell the second day, which apparently made some people cancel their reservations. We ended up having the indoor, warm spring-fed pool with two story, arched windows to ourselves during the storm.

One last thing - the Catholic priest who married us quit the priesthood the day after our wedding.

Last edited:
One piece of advice I have based on my wedding and one or two others I can remember: Grooms - have some participation (or at least active oversight) of the Best Man speech. My brother just thought he'd get up there and wing it. He wasn't much of a public speaker at the time and it didn't go great....entered into the realm of rambling and he made a couple of comments that he meant to be funny but came off as a little inappropriate. Another good friend of mine's Best Man was just INCREDIBLY nervous and could barely get a word out. So basically, ask what he generally plans to say, tell him things he definitely shouldn't say, and give some ideas for things to mention if he's not sure what to include.
For the record, NovaDeac, you're going to have no idea what I'm saying until it comes out of my mouth.

Yeah mostly it's just knowing my brother and stupidly thinking he would have had something prepared. Most dudes give great speeches

I was the last of our crew to get married and had always thought the bride and groom missed the best part of day - the after party. We scheduled our wedding for 11AM so we could get the reception out of the way and still have plenty of time for the party. It was an incredibly cold and windy November day, which prompted my best man to remind me just before the ceremony that I had always said it would be a cold day in hell when I got married.

I arranged and paid for the catering for the reception as my wife's mom didn't have any money and her dad was basically a shit. As the reception was winding down I asked the lead waitress how the liquor was holding out and was amazed when she said it was almost gone. I dispatched one groomsman to the liquor store with a few hundred dollars and another to a grocery store to buy a bunch of beer. One of my brothers stuck around at the end of the reception to bring whatever was left of the booze back to my house for the after party.

The waitress was mistaken about the lack of alcohol as my brother showed up at the house with a dozen full bottles. Added to what the groomsmen had purchased and my reasonably stocked bar, we had about three fifths for every party attendee plus several cases of beer (and a lot of recreational drugs). It turned out to be the party within our circle of friends that all others are measured against. The dinning room table was wiped out three times (one guy did it twice), I remember my uncle hitting on my wife's aunt (both married) while my best man was hitting on the aunt's daughter (both single). Some idiot flicked a cigarette butt off of the front stoop and into some leaves, which started a small brush fire. Thankfully, that was in front of the living room picture window so it was noticed pretty quickly. At one point I thought the party was going to die when one of my wife's cousins decided to sing "Misty" to us, but my brother returned from the drug enjoyment room with a cigar in hand halfway through the song and started howling with laughter. I've forgotten her reaction, but it couldn't have been too bad as I ran into her later in the drug room and she seemed happy enough.

By 9 PM I was giving people fifths of liquor as going away presents to get them to leave. We had partied the night before until 4 AM and were pretty damned tired, plus we had to clean the place in the morning before we left on our honeymoon. The last couple left around 11 and we finally went to bed. A couple of hours later there was someone beating on the front door and I had to get up. The only thing I could find in a hurry to put on was my wife's short feathery robe. I opened the door to see one of the groomsmen who had left his wallet at the house and had gotten halfway to Richmond before he realized it. He took one look at me and thought he had interrupted some kinky role playing, wedding night sexathon. It was an awkward conversation with him apologizing and me explaining that it wasn't what it looked like.

Quite a day. We went to The Homestead for our honeymoon and found the place practically deserted. I think there were less than 30 rooms occupied for the first several days. They screwed up our reservations and had us in a room with twin beds. When I objected, they put us in a three room suite that had a couple of fireplaces and a wet bar. The bellman brought some firewood up from the lobby fireplaces and kept us supplied for the week. 10" of snow fell the second day, which apparently made some people cancel their reservations. We ended up having the indoor, warm spring-fed pool with two story, arched windows to ourselves during the storm.

One last thing - the Catholic priest who married us quit the priesthood the day after our wedding.

Hard to beat this

so far, i have been part of one wedding party as an adult.

an hour before pictures i was sitting in the bathtub, dry heaving, because we got a little weird the night before

WFU71's story is so bad ass. I love to party late into the night. I will routinely stay up till 7 am or past -- idk why but I can just keep it rolling. The drug room is necessity. Had one for a buddy's bachelor party in this IOP mansion and it was excellent. It gives you a little safe have to retreat into and then come out pissing fucking fire.

With that being said, less than two hours till the weekend. Somebody get me a 24 pack of CCL's and a carton of smokes. Found out I may have to work the inauguration tmrw but I'll cross the bridge when I get there. Time to get weird

I for one, would not have made it to an 11am wedding in any kind of decent shape.

This. We're having a trivia night party at a bar the night before, so our ceremony won't be until 3:30.

We thought about having a ceremony in one place and then a party in another...but the thought of having to go through planning for this kind of stuff twice was more than we could bear. And I'm super glad now we're just doing one. Even though some of our friends and my extended family won't be able to get out there, all of the important people will.

So I got a wedding invitation today. It directed me to a website which told me "Your presence at our wedding is gift enough but if you do wish to buy us something, a contribution towards our dream honeymoon in Italy would be appreciated." Is my presence enough? I would like to give a gift but I don't want to contribute to their honeymoon.

So I got a wedding invitation today. It directed me to a website which told me "Your presence at our wedding is gift enough but if you do wish to buy us something, a contribution towards our dream honeymoon in Italy would be appreciated." Is my presence enough? I would like to give a gift but I don't want to contribute to their honeymoon.

They either want cash or nothing. Those are your options.

Not much different from registering for wedding presents, IMO.

Tacky. Go with nothing.

any wedding with a drug consumption room gets my seal of approval.

For the record, NovaDeac, you're going to have no idea what I'm saying until it comes out of my mouth.

Haha, I was reading the previous post and wondered if I should even bother asking you. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would absolutely LOVE to actually be at a wedding where 1) they keep in the part about anyone having objections to speak now and 2) someone actually does. I think that would be so hilariously awkward. Certainly not to anybody I really care about, but maybe to a random co-worker or distant relative's wedding.

My minister had a great story that really happened when he was officiating at a wedding. He made the standard "if anyone has an objection to this wedding, speak now or forever hold your peace" statement. And someone in fact stood up and said "I object." The minister checked to see if he was being funny, but no, this was serious. Minister, person, couple went behind closed doors. Found out that one of the couple to be married had mental health issues and also a spouse elsewhere. Needless to say, end of that wedding ceremony.

Back