• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

wedding party cost question

Why not pick a tux they can rent from there?

Would look odd for groom to wear a suit with the groomsmen in tuxedos.

Do the shirt/tie gift thing.
If they all have black suits, go with that.
If some do not have black suits but they all have gray suits, go with that.

Somewhat related but the fiancee's sister is looking into a ceremony at sea on a 5 day cruise. So I guess that's where the bulk of this year's vacation days are going.

I was in a wedding this summer and the groom had us purchase gray suits from Jos A Bank for like $200 that they negotiated the price on. He just had us wear a white shirt and black shoes we already had and he supplied the ties. It ended up being not that much more than a rental.

The suit is just ok but I sometimes wear the pants to work. For someone like his brother who is trying to get a job this was I think his first suit so it should be useful for him.

Yeah I was in a wedding 2 yrs ago and groom bought us all navy suits from joe bank. He waited till there was a buy one get 4 free or something. He only ended up paying like 600 for six suits or something crazy.

Not great suits but who cares I wear the slacks to work so score.

Somewhat related but the fiancee's sister is looking into a ceremony at sea on a 5 day cruise. So I guess that's where the bulk of this year's vacation days are going.

Is there time to talk her out of it?

For my wedding I picked out a grey Calvin Klein suit that was BOGO at Men's Warehouse for all the groomsmen and the dads. It look a lot of coordination to get them all to go in pairs to buy them, but it was worth it to get a decent suit for just a little more than renting a tux.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421010967650.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421010967650.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
And if you make your groomsmen fly to nowhere Oregon AND buy $400 suits, the rehearsal dinner and reception better be baller and the groomsmen gifts should be of the $250+ variety.

And if you make your groomsmen fly to nowhere Oregon AND buy $400 suits, the rehearsal dinner and reception better be baller and the groomsmen gifts should be of the $250+ variety.

Totally agree. I honestly think giving the groomsmen the tie for their suit as a gift is straight busch league unless its accompanied by something nice. I was in a wedding recently where I spent over $1200 and I got a half pint of jim bean and the fucking tie to the suit. I was expecting something a little nicer.

surprised how many here are aghast by this.

we had to fly to 3 different weddings this year my wife was a bridesmaid in. we paid for hotel for 2 of them. she bought the dresses all 3 times and 2 were over $300.

those the bitchiest posts i've read on here in a while (DCDeac and Manifest).

isn't there any honor in just being there for your bro? i've spent out the ass to get to/be in weddings and could not care less if the bride gets me a gift.

Last edited:
I was in a wedding this summer and the groom had us purchase gray suits from Jos A Bank for like $200 that they negotiated the price on. He just had us wear a white shirt and black shoes we already had and he supplied the ties. It ended up being not that much more than a rental.

The suit is just ok but I sometimes wear the pants to work. For someone like his brother who is trying to get a job this was I think his first suit so it should be useful for him.

i made rj=mj and my bro buy suits. navy suits they picked out. i then paid for their lodging.

surprised how many here are aghast by this.

we had to fly to 3 different weddings this year my wife was a bridesmaid in. we paid for hotel for 2 of them. she bought the dresses all 3 times and 2 were over $300.

yeah, and this. crying about renting vs. buying suits THAT YOU COULD WEAR AGAIN.
anyone want to buy the pink toole monstrosity in my closet that I had to purchase?

...that said, though, if you have the true option to NOT request that they purchase the suits, that would be thoughtful/considerate of you.

those the bitchiest posts i've read on here in a while.

isn't there any honor in just being there for your bro? i've spent out the ass to get to/be in weddings and could not care less if the bride gets me a gift.

we went to at least 6 weddings this year (these are the ones i remember offhand): nc, ct, chitown, tn, tampa, and austrailia. 3 of those included my wife as bridesmaid and thus also a bachelorette party. that shit adds up. right now we're looking at one next year in napa.

LOL at people being shocked at the idea of paying for their tuxedo rental. Bigger LOL at people expecting $250 gifts for being a groomsman. You'll get your monogrammed grooming kit and be happy or go take a hike. I mean, seriously guys, the people getting married are already spending a shitload on the wedding. Be happy you got an invitation and be doubly honored you were asked to be a part of the wedding party.

those the bitchiest posts i've read on here in a while (DCDeac and Manifest).

Leebs, i love you and your sense of honor. But conversely, isnt it just enough for the groom that we are there to be by his side? Why do I have to spend a fuck ton of money? And if I am going to, I would like a little token of appreciation.

LOL at people being shocked at the idea of paying for their tuxedo rental. Bigger LOL at people expecting $250 gifts for being a groomsman. You'll get your monogrammed grooming kit and be happy or go take a hike. I mean, seriously guys, the people getting married are already spending a shitload on the wedding. Be happy you got an invitation and be doubly honored you were asked to be a part of the wedding party.

Im not shocked at the rental. I was just pointing out that the overall costs should be considered. No big deal shelling out money for a nice suite if the travel costs are low.

Totally agree. I honestly think giving the groomsmen the tie for their suit as a gift is straight busch league unless its accompanied by something nice. I was in a wedding recently where I spent over $1200 and I got a half pint of jim bean and the fucking tie to the suit. I was expecting something a little nicer.

give me a fucking break. the groomsman/bridesmaid gifts are so lame. such a waste of money. people are dropping tons of coin for the wedding. expecting a gift from a close friend or family member because you took part in their wedding is such bullshit.

Back