• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

wedding party cost question

I'm thinking of people flying in for the wedding. Although most of them have family in Florida that can pick them up

Then I don't think it's that big of a deal. My wedding was on the coast of Maine and was 90-120 mins from the nearest real airport. No one seemed to have a problem with it (though I think most people were excited to check out the coast of Maine in the summer since very few had ever been there).

I'm thinking of people flying in for the wedding. Although most of them have family in Florida that can pick them up

Truthfully, it will be a bigger issue for her friends than yours if there are car rentals involved and stuff like that. If you're between two major metro areas with airports that people can get to, going a little out of the way for a few nights isn't the end of the world. At 30, having been to at least a couple of weddings a year for the last 5 or 6 years, I've found that when I've traveled for weddings, my group of friends has always managed to work it out pretty well and have a good time.

ETA: If it's a cool spot, and it's the one you want, I say go for it.

Last edited:
DC06, NOT a problem. In fact, anything that encourages people to RSVP "no" to your wedding is a good thing in the long run (aka save $$$).

agree that it would be an issue if transportation between venues (rehearsal, ceremony, reception) was difficult/time consuming. but 60-90 minutes from two major airports for a weekend away does not seem like a big deal. bonus if there are two airports that give more options for flights to save money.

And shit, I flew to fucking Spain for a wedding last year. And even then the airport was still over an hour from the city of the wedding. Not really complaining about that trip tho. Just sayin'.

My best friend's wife made us wear tuxes with pink vests, outside, no shade, middle of the summer in Tampa at 1:00 in the afternoon. I still haven't forgiven him for that. I don't think a single one of those tuxes was wearable again. The only good thing is that it was a rental and not something I owned.

fify - gotta look snazzy for those pics

fify - gotta look snazzy for those pics

That's probably correct.

As an aside, the reception and after wedding activities were beyond ridiculous. I was on a whole different level of outrageous/inappropriate. My personal bar tab from that day was $800, and that kicked off after the reception.

$800?!?! wtf, were you drinking unicorn piss?!

I've been in three weddings in my adult life, MOH in one, bridesmaids in the others and have spent super varying amounts in each. here's the breakdown FWIW:

Wedding #1- low cost, beach wedding.
Bring-your-own-blue-dress: $50
Helped throw the bachelorette party: $150 (it was the night before the rehearsal dinner, so we stayed at the beach house the bride's parents had rented out for the bridal party)
Wedding/shower gifts: $150
Wedding was in NC, so not a big deal to travel to, and we stayed at my parent's beach house for the rest of the weekend: $0
total cost: $400

Wedding #2: big-budget "traditional" wedding
Bridesmaid dress: $300 (it was LulaKate, which i guess is a more "designer-y" bridesmaid line)
Bachelorette party (Charleston) travel costs: ~$400
Various gifts: $200
Travel to wedding (flew to MD, drove back with friends to NC): $150
Hotel cost for one night split 3 ways (stayed the other night in the bridal suite with other bridesmaids): $100
Total cost: $1,150

Wedding #3- low-budget, local NC wedding- I was the MOH:
Dress: $150
Bachelorette party- Nashville- (I helped throw it, but we stayed with cousin of the bride, so no hotel costs): $500
Various gifts: $200
Total cost: $~850

Damn, was it a dry reception!?

Nope. These are the drinkiest people I know. I just decided to step it up to an unreasonable level for this occasion. And I wasn't even the obnoxious drunk guy at the wedding. I was a fucking rockstar that day/night, which frankly is unusual for me. I was basically

tumblr_mt6onsM8W71rpq18eo1_500.gif

At my wedding reception a guy I grew up with was so bombed he went out in front of the hotel, still wearing his suit, and started acting like a valet, taking random people's luggage and keys as they drove up. Then the real valets came back and ran him off, but not until after he had parked someone's Lexus and thrown their luggage behind the bushes.

DC06, NOT a problem. In fact, anything that encourages people to RSVP "no" to your wedding is a good thing in the long run (aka save $$$).

This. We celebrate every time someone says they're not coming...or that they broke up with their boyfriend.

This. We celebrate every time someone says they're not coming...or that they broke up with their boyfriend.

The bride for a wedding I'm attending in March said we're ALL getting a +1, even the totally single among us, and she seemed like she really wanted us to bring someone. Weird. Not sure if I'd have someone I wanted to bring, but I'm going to know so many people there (she's a sorority sister and has kept in touch with a lot of the group), that I think it would be more fun without a date.

The bride for a wedding I'm attending in March said we're ALL getting a +1, even the totally single among us, and she seemed like she really wanted us to bring someone. Weird. Not sure if I'd have someone I wanted to bring, but I'm going to know so many people there (she's a sorority sister and has kept in touch with a lot of the group), that I think it would be more fun without a date.

Bring a friend then, enjoy the partay and hopefully yall both get lucky.

Bring a friend then, enjoy the partay and hopefully yall both get lucky.

Like, a friend who wouldn't know anybody there? That would be just as much work as a date who knew nobody, but less payoff. What I mean is that I'll already know so many people at the wedding, I won't need to bring someone with me, it'd be more fun just to catch up with old friends. Or maybe I'll have a date by then!

Back