• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

wedding party cost question

Can we just morph this thread into wedding stories? There have to be be some all-time classics waiting to be revealed.

we went to at least 6 weddings this year (these are the ones i remember offhand): nc, ct, chitown, tn, tampa, and austrailia. 3 of those included my wife as bridesmaid and thus also a bachelorette party. that shit adds up. right now we're looking at one next year in napa.

Nice. Also looking at a wedding in Napa in October. Never been to California before but it would be a great time.

My friend is a preacher, he's seen some sad stuff including a groom that made out w/ the maid of honor on the dance floor at the reception.

I decided not to travel to my cousin's wedding and missed out on a true classic. He's on the side of the family that is a little bit... troubled. He was marrying a stripper -- met her at the club. On the wedding day he got cold feet. But not early in the day so that they could call it off, he just straight didn't show up. All the guests arrived for the ceremony and everyone's like "Where's Tim"? Finally he calls somebody to say he's not showing up. The stripper bride's parents (two moms, no dad) had of course already paid for the photographer, reception, etc. So they figure what the hell, let's just have the party anyway. The bride attends the party still in her dress. The photographer takes photos of the bride dancing with children while crying her eyes out on the dance floor. It would have made for a bad sitcom.

The most weddings in a year for us was invited to 13 and I think attended 10. This year I think we will have two in Charlottesville and one in NYC. Can't remember if there are others on the horizon.

Craziest thing that happened at our wedding (well, the after party) was one of our friends banging another friend in the bathroom of the after party hotel room (he was married...still is married...wife couldn't attend...they have two kids now :rulz:). The party was mostly one set of friends who didn't know them that well (other than to know he was married) so I don't think it ever got back to the wife? Not sure.

Craziest thing that happened at another wedding (again, the after party)

i know a woman (good friend of a good friend of mine situation). she is marrying a real jerk. exhibit a - he is the only one to answer the phone. if she answers he picks up and tells her to hang up.

so on their wedding night he gets so hammered he passes out spread eagle in the hotel bed. she tries to climb in and he pushes her out. she sleeps on the floor on her wedding night.

I would absolutely LOVE to actually be at a wedding where 1) they keep in the part about anyone having objections to speak now and 2) someone actually does. I think that would be so hilariously awkward. Certainly not to anybody I really care about, but maybe to a random co-worker or distant relative's wedding.

I went to a wedding a few years ago where the preacher talked about divorce in the sermon during the ceremony. It was SO awkward. Both bride & groom came from divorced parents, so I think they'd be aware of the risks. But they are divorced now too so :noidea:

Can we just morph this thread into wedding stories? There have to be be some all-time classics waiting to be revealed.

I was not invited to this wedding but a friend of mine was a groomsman. The bride harangued the groom into proposing. He kept trying to delay the wedding. They broke up due to him cheating (we think). They got back together and set a date. She planned the wedding for years on Pinterest. Day of the wedding, he says his shoes don't fit. Who buys shoes and doesn't try them on? Insists on wearing chucks and jeans, so all the groomsmen have to run out day of and buy matching shoes and wash their jeans. All the guests who posted pictures on FB look absolutely miserable and they legit organized a betting pool on how long it would last. Also, there is one pic of 3 people and its all the people who lied for him when she caught him cheating (he told them all different stories and that's how she figured it out).

Last edited:
I went to a wedding a few years ago where the preacher talked about divorce in the sermon during the ceremony. It was SO awkward. Both bride & groom came from divorced parents, so I think they'd be aware of the risks. But they are divorced now too so :noidea:

Preachers can really screw stuff up or make it awful.

My wife's maid of honor got married this fall and the preacher told the couple "ITS ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE."

What the hell dude? What a moron.

My wife's maid of honor got married this fall and the preacher told the couple "ITS ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE."

From a runner's perspective, "it's all downhill from here" is a really positive thing... maybe the preacher was a runner? It's tough for me to readjust my frame of reference to read that as a bad thing.

People should put at least equal thought into who officiates at the wedding as they do to all the other stuff. And pay the preacher! People spend thousands of dollars on food, drink, clothes, etc. The preacher deserve a decent honorarium. Weddings take a lot of work to be done well. It's not just showing up.

From a runner's perspective, "it's all downhill from here" is a really positive thing... maybe the preacher was a runner? It's tough for me to readjust my frame of reference to read that as a bad thing.

He said it "doesn't get better than today" too, but I see what you mean LOL. Its still wrong, marriage ain't running downhill.

That's why we hired an professional officiant and wrote and/or adapted the whole ceremony. I didn't need any editorializing.

Love my preacher to death, he refused any kind of payment for his service, but he misprounced my wife's last name during the ceremony, after we had corrected him at the rehearsal the previous day. It wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't like 20 other family members there from her dad's side of the family.

I attended an Air Force wedding where the preacher's homily focused on physical proximity as a driving factor in relationship success. They were literally being deployed to separate places after the wedding.

They're still happily married, but wat.

One piece of advice I have based on my wedding and one or two others I can remember: Grooms - have some participation (or at least active oversight) of the Best Man speech. My brother just thought he'd get up there and wing it. He wasn't much of a public speaker at the time and it didn't go great....entered into the realm of rambling and he made a couple of comments that he meant to be funny but came off as a little inappropriate. Another good friend of mine's Best Man was just INCREDIBLY nervous and could barely get a word out. So basically, ask what he generally plans to say, tell him things he definitely shouldn't say, and give some ideas for things to mention if he's not sure what to include.

Wedding ceremonies are terrible. If I ever get hitched mine is gonna be like 7 minutes tops.

Back