• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Offical Sports Betting Thread

Does anyone know the tax details for online betting in say, New Jersey? How much do they tax and under what circumstances do they report to IRS? It seems this might be reason enough to stick to offshore books.

You are required to report and pay taxes on your "net" winnings; not just your winnings.

Sports gambling companies (like Fan Duel) report winning an individual bet to the IRS if the bet payout is $600 or more (or more than 300 times of the amount of the wager if you bet less than $2 and win). So, if a bettor has a series of big winners (payouts of $600 or more), he/she will need to keep track of total net recovery for that year to avoid questions to the IRS as to why the gambling winnings were not reported as "other income" on your tax return. If the bets are individualized to the point that no single bet paid off $600 or more (hint), there will be no reporting of your betting to the IRS (or state tax agency).

I know zero about either team, but thinking about a play on Central Arkansas -4.5 tonight over Austin Peay.

Just because football.

Last edited:
Week 2 ACC games

Miami -16 vs UAB [Thursday 9/10]
Clemson -32 @ Wake
NC -20.5 vs Duke
UNC -17.5 vs Syracuse
FSU -11.5 vs GT
Louisville -13.5 vs W Ky
Pitt NL vs Austin Peay

I think I'll just be watching a lot of football this weekend in an attempt to see if/how things are different in this COVID-19 environment.

Was considering taking Wake in the 1st half, but haven't seriously looked at it.

Kind of like Syracuse... That's a big number for UNC to cover.

I'm thinking about doing a little teaser action. Thinking of going with Cuse +29 and FSU -5.

I love Miami -13.5 (or -14 on most books now) and I'm a little curious about why App State dropped from -20 to -16.5 on at least a couple books.

I think the UNC number looks big too especially with us focused on how bad they generally are when they're "supposed" to be good, but Syracuse is also complete trash.

Gonna be a weird year betting wise due to COVID. I finished at 57.8% last year picking 5-10 games a week, but that's definitely going to be scaled back.

Remembered mocking numbers for picking Marquette so wanted to see what his other picks were. OUCH on missing out on that potential Baylor $$

Lol just saw this. Yeah I'm still shaking my head at that one. Obviously I got all my money back since there was no tournament (which probably ended up saving me money overall) but the Baylor bet was just so delicious. Seton Hall was set to be a top 4-5 seed as well so who knows what could have happened there.

Wanted to take Syracuse, but they just announced that 3 more players are sitting out the season, including their top 2 running backs and a starting LB. That's why the line has gone through the roof. There will be spots to go against UNC this year, but doesn't seem like this is one of them.

Miami has brought in D'Eriq King from Houston, and have a new OC who apparently loves to throw it around, but that is a lot of moving parts to transition for game 1 and with no Spring practice. Also, Miami has been dreadful as a favorite of a TD or more: 0-6 with 5 outright losses.

Leaning toward to two games this week:

- South Alabama +8 over Tulane: USA already has a game under their belt (beating S. Miss as a big dog), and they are opening a new football stadium, which should have USA jacked up (unfortunately, the line has already moved three points as Tulane opened +11; so, some of the value is gone). I would also shade the under 52.5 in this game.

- Wake Forest +32 over Clemson: Clemson has not been great out of the gate recently, and they only return 11 starters (I know the Tigers just bring in more studs, but it takes some time for those guys to find their way), and their leading returning tackler, Skalski, is out for the first half. Also, Clemson is working in new receivers (Dabo's kid is actually listed on the two deep), and hopefully, they will limit the Tigers ability to exploit the WF corners. Not saying WF is going to win or even be close, but think Boogie, and the WF defense will slow Clemson enough to keep it respectable.

Also, I am on Charlotte +19 (now, 17) against App. State. Just think that 3 coaches in 3 years will have to have some impact, and I really like Will Healy the Charlotte HC, he will be a Power V coach soon. They return their starting QB, who was solid last year, and have a stud RB transfer from N. Illinois.

FWIW, the La Tech at Baylor game has been cancelled because an outbreak impacting La Tech.

Last edited:
You're probably right about UNC/Syracuse... I just really want to fade UNC for as long as I can. Will have to do more work there (and elsewhere).

Not really any enticing games so far this week, have a couple bets down already with Navy +7.5 @ Tulane (I have a feeling that the Navy we saw against BYU was an aberration, however this basically guarantees Navy gets shellacked again) and also got Troy -3 @ MTSU with the thought that I expect that line to keep moving Troy's direction.

Anyone else like any of the games this week? I think there's some money to be made on over unders relative to the spreads at this point of the season with COVID has an issue.

Went 4-3 last week after adding in a Coastal +6.5 bet then went 3-2 in the NFL after I hit on the Steelers -6 last night.

I like the Navy/Tulane under 49: the under when two option teams face each other is almost an automatic, and Navy's offense took a big step back with the loss of QB Malcolm Perry, and Tulane is starting a new QB as well.

GA Southern had over 30 players out with COVID last week, and almost lost to Campbell. Need to read up on FAU (generally, don't like taking a team with a new coach in the opener, but GA Southern is down to walk-ons all over the place; even if some of their roster returns, they have to be dealing with major practice disruptions; don't really understand how they can be playing), but leaning to FAU -3.5.

Generally don't like favorites, but will be on ND -25.5 against USF (new coaching staff for USF, and they struggled to score against Citadel last week), and Pitt -22 (Cuse is depleted, and now must travel two weeks in a row off a delating loss; Pitt's defense has always been good, but it now looks like their offense has finally taken a step).

Also, leaning to the Miami/L'ville under 64.5. Miami's defense is tough; their offense is improving, but learning a new system; L'ville's defense is improved.

Will be on WF +2.5. Better coach, better QB, no fans, WF has a game in hand, and WF is getting points?

Last edited:
Started 3-3 last week on college football but ended up with a winning week by doubling down on Wake when the line hit +36 right before kickoff.

Have four picks so far this week:

Navy (+7.5) @ Tulane
Troy (-3) @ MTSU
Houston @ Baylor (-4.5)
BC @ Duke (-6)

I think the Duke line should be double digits with BC's unknowns at QB and new staff but hey maybe that's why it's single digits (due to the unknowns).

Started 3-3 last week on college football but ended up with a winning week by doubling down on Wake when the line hit +36 right before kickoff.

Have four picks so far this week:

Navy (+7.5) @ Tulane
Troy (-3) @ MTSU
Houston @ Baylor (-4.5)
BC @ Duke (-6)

I think the Duke line should be double digits with BC's unknowns at QB and new staff but hey maybe that's why it's single digits (due to the unknowns).

Didn't you post that you liked Clemson to throttle WF last week? Or is my dementia kicking in again?

Haven't done anything yet, but two comments on the above posts:

Miami/L'ville O/U has run up from the high 50s to where it stands now... I think the under is an interesting call.

Similarly, the Baylor line has come way down. I liked Houston up near a TD, but at 4.5 I am staying away. I think Baylor is going to take a big step back this year for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the (first time) head coach. Houston has a ton of players back from last year's team. It's also just unusual that the game was announced last Saturday.

Didn't you post that you liked Clemson to throttle WF last week? Or is my dementia kicking in again?

Said I could see 52-7 or 45-14 but that I thought Wake would get points in the second half. +34.5 and +36 on the day of the game seemed like a ton of points after seeing teams struggle out of the gate early on Saturday as far as getting their offenses going.

will zalatoris is a slight favorite vs Shane Lowry today. Wow. I may have to throw some on fat Lowry.

Back