• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Coliseum vs. "The Joel"

And I'm not saying its travesty or anything. But to my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong), we are the only program in the nation that puts the announcers upstairs for reasons other than physical limitations (to sell two extra VIP tix). Is that right? Why do we feel comfortable being the only program to do that? Seems odd.

It "seems odd" that you have such extensive knowledge of 320 NCAA venues, the locations of the TV crews in them, and the reasons for those placements.
Unless you're just making shit up.

And I'm not saying its travesty or anything. But to my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong), we are the only program in the nation that puts the announcers upstairs for reasons other than physical limitations (to sell two extra VIP tix). Is that right? Why do we feel comfortable being the only program to do that? Seems odd.

When I get tickets from one of my colleagues at work I sit almost directly in front of the suite they're in and it's a terrific vantage point from which to call the game. Much better perspective than they would get court-side. I'll grant you the lack of access to ref conversations, but they have great seats. If an announcer can't get our names right it's because he's lazy and didn't prepare, not that he's so far away from the court that he can't see.

It "seems odd" that you have such extensive knowledge of 320 NCAA venues, the locations of the TV crews in them, and the reasons for those placements.

FWIW, the press box for Tech at McCamish is similar. In the corner, near section 1.

I wonder if this is getting more attention now because of the Whitaker park thing, because Joines was definitely talking about the "area," which would include everything form the soon-to-be-marketed Whitaker Park factory to the Coliseum and the black hole of failed game-day ventures (aka tailgate town) in between.

You must have breezed over my qualifiers like "to my knowledge" and "correct me if I'm wrong."

They only thing I know is that it is NOT a widely used practice. Source: every basketball game not at Duke, college or NBA, I've ever watched, ever. If GT does it, that's one more program than I knew about yesterday. From what I remember being posted, the reason we did it was to sell more VIP tix. That could also be false, for all I know.

Somebody's job in sports marketing/PR is to control the optics. Since it looks like shit, and they are about to sink $40M into the coliseum, that person may want to suggest they move the announcers back court side. That's my only point.

Fair enough. I've never noticed it so my first inclination was to doubt just how big a problem it was.

Been waiting on this to happen for years, should have never been named that to begin with. Its all about PC and I knew when we bought it that we would have to keep the
Joel name around somewhere. Which is complete bs if we own the freaking arena.

Been waiting on this to happen for years, should have never been named that to begin with. Its all about PC and I knew when we bought it that we would have to keep the
Joel name around somewhere. Which is complete bs if we own the freaking arena.

It's not BS because we signed a contract that said we had to keep the name around. I think that was a bad move though. What if we want to tear the whole thing down in 20 years? Or tomorrow?

It is bs because city leaders and their pc bs are the reason we had to do it, or else it would have been very difficult to purchase the arena.

Yes, it's hard to buy something if the person selling it has a price that includes things you aren't willing to pay.

It is bs because city leaders and their pc bs are the reason we had to do it, or else it would have been very difficult to purchase the arena.

Probably, but it's not like they had anyone else to sell it to, and they really wanted to sell it. All they really could have done is drug WF through the mud, which happened to a certain extent anyway withe people questioning the wisdom of the sale.

I understand all of that, we bailed them out and bought it for 8 Mill. they were losing big time every year, and we needed to go ahead and by it because it was the logical choice for us, and it was good for us because I think if we do throw the money at it .....oh and it does need it, that its going to be awesome. im just saying its a shame that society is at a place that you cant name something that you want to that's you own because of politics. Trust me I know all about city government.

We can name it whatever we want. We just have to keep "Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial" on the signage.
Picture a big sign on the marquee saying "______ Coliseum, Home of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons" and a much smaller sign saying "Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Plaza" beneath it. That's what it's going to be.

We can name it whatever we want. We just have to keep "Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial" on the signage.
Picture a big sign on the marquee saying "______ Coliseum, Home of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons" and a much smaller sign saying "Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Plaza" beneath it. That's what it's going to be.

Eff that. Tear it down and name it Buckets Hall.

Back