• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Coliseum vs. "The Joel"

Eff that. Tear it down and name it Buckets Hall.

Lol, I like it. Back in the day we wouldn't have to worry about it. Reynolds would have probably payed for it all and thrown a lot of dough to renovate it.

I was rooting for Lawrence Joel to kill the deal. That way we wouldn't be saddled with a 25 year old building that was way oversized to begin with. People are looking to sell those for a $1 not buy them for millions.

Just a bad real estate deal all around for Wake Forest. Sadly, when the Wellman regime clears out in the coming years, the new guy will be left holding the bag on this one.

Don't look at it as just the building. It was important to buy and own the land. If and when the time comes to build anew, we now have the prime location for it.

I was rooting for Lawrence Joel to kill the deal. That way we wouldn't be saddled with a 25 year old building that was way oversized to begin with. People are looking to sell those for a $1 not buy them for millions.

Just a bad real estate deal all around for Wake Forest. Sadly, when the Wellman regime clears out in the coming years, the new guy will be left holding the bag on this one.

I strongly disagree. Purchasing LJVM, followed by the recent gift of Whitaker Park to Wake Forest, has continued the creation of two campuses (West and East campus - sound familiar DR?). The cool thing about East campus is that it is entirely athletics based, with basketball, football, baseball, and tennis complexes. Eventually, student housing will be built on the East campus, which will provide an incredible experience for the students and student-athletes that live there.

I strongly disagree. Purchasing LJVM, followed by the recent gift of Whitaker Park to Wake Forest, has continued the creation of two campuses (West and East campus - sound familiar DR?). The cool thing about East campus is that it is entirely athletics based, with basketball, football, baseball, and tennis complexes. Eventually, student housing will be built on the East campus, which will provide an incredible experience for the students and student-athletes that live there.

Why is the new indoor practice facility being built on the main campus?

Agree. What I'd like to see is a new basketball facility built in the current Groves parking lot. That would free up the Joel area for more parking, student apartments, and some retail and commercial space. Pouring millions into renovating the Joel seems like a poor way to use all that space.

Agree. What I'd like to see is a new basketball facility built in the current Groves parking lot. That would free up the Joel area for more parking, student apartments, and some retail and commercial space. Pouring millions into renovating the Joel seems like a poor way to use all that space.

Would never work because of the Dixie Classic Fair.

I think the student housing will eventually go along Baity Street, and maybe Whitaker Park. I like the idea of renovating and updating the Joel. The additions this year have been good, and I think there are a lot more to come.

I think the student housing will eventually go along Baity Street, and maybe Whitaker Park. I like the idea of renovating and updating the Joel. The additions this year have been good, and I think there are a lot more to come.

Hopefully $40M will bring about significant upgrades.

I hope we never have a need for that much additional student housing - since that would mean the population had grown significantly.

I hope we never have a need for that much additional student housing - since that would mean the population had grown significantly.

I can see student apartments with a commercial area there. Shops with apartments above them. Not new dorms. A student village feel.

Not exactly. A few years back, Wake changed the policy so that all students have to live on campus for 3 years, which increased the need for student housing. That policy could be extended to include seniors, new student apartments could be a more desirable option than off-campus housing, older dorms could be renovated which might decrease current capacity, etc.

Why exactly will it be an incredible experience to have to drive to class?

I don't think we really had any choice to buy the LJVM, but it is hardly the ideal arena in the ideal location.

It's a nice idea but I don't see it happening. There are no non-students living close enough to support development like that and Wake's enrollment would have to double to make it feasible. Plus, what little retail there was for years is now gone and the whole area around the Joel looks like an industrial wasteland. Hell, even the IHOP is no more. When you can't keep an IHOP open you've got problems. Whatever plan Wake had for reinvigorating Deacon Boulevard has not panned out.

Is there some link that says Whitaker Park will be campus and student type stuff? From my understanding the plan for development includes the following options: manufacturing and industrial, warehousing, distribution, and possibly retail and residential

Back