• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Coliseum vs. "The Joel"

WakeHornet

Reaction score
Keep an eye on this -- I have seen a concerted effort from all Wake Forest sports marketing communication and from Danny Manning and Jen Hoover social media activity to refer to the Joel as "The Coliseum". Don't be surprised to read a naming rights announcement for LJVM in the near term future.

As long as you pronounce it like Oliver Reed in "Gladiator" I'm all for this.

Kind of hate seeing "Joel" dropped because it refers to a real American hero Lawrence Joel. Not that anyone makes the connection but I always liked that the name pointed back to him and might inspire some people (like it did me many years ago) to look into who Lawrence Joel was and what he did.

Kind of hate seeing "Joel" dropped because it refers to a real American hero Lawrence Joel. Not that anyone makes the connection but I always liked that the name pointed back to him and might inspire some people (like it did me many years ago) to look into who Lawrence Joel was and what he did.

From the rumors I've heard, the Veterans Memorial will stay outside of the main entrance, and Joel will still be showcased, just not on the naming rights of the coliseum.

Its not like the Joel is going away, do people call Groves "BB&T" outside of TV announcers?

Hanes Coliseum, or Krispy Kreme Coliseum maybe. Then we could call it the doughnut dome.

Well we haven't had a true center in how long?

In all seriousness, this is a tough spot. Good for the program to sell naming rights, but a(nother) bad look in the community.
IMO, the university would do well to establish "Joel Plaza" in front of _______ Coliseum and step up efforts to lead an enhanced community-wide Veterans Day celebration there, bringing together several constituency groups in the community. Memorial Day too for that matter.
I wouldn't expect any of this to occur to WFU however.

I assumed the change was coming when they started honoring veterans with each national anthem.

Here are the stipulations from the City when the Joel was sold to WFU.

http://winston-salem.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=1393

University will retain at the Coliseum:

a. The main lobby of the Coliseum will be designated The Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Lobby. The Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial plaque and Joel portrait will be retained.

b. The two areas immediately outside of the entry and exit doors of the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Lobby on which the Veterans Monuments are located will be designated The Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Plaza.

c. Retention of “Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial” on façade of Coliseum.

d. Retention of “Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial” on current and future permanent sign (marquee)

e. Information about Lawrence Joel and his contributions to the Winston-Salem community will be available on the facility website for the Coliseum.

f. University will receive all other naming rights for the facility.

g. The City may choose to enhance the Joel presence in the Veterans Memorial area.

Saw this snippet on Danny Manning's official site. It'd be nice to see some plans rolled out soon.

"Wake Forest plans to spend more than $40 Million to make it the premier arena in college basketball."

I'm surprised Wake agreed to those terms. The lobby and plaza are one thing but the side of the building and marquee are pretty big deals. Who wants to buy naming rights if you have competing signage. I guess we will be stuck with some stupid long name or Krispy Kreme Kourt bullshit.

Back