• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Syracuse)

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
1. Dinos was awesome on offense, not so much on defense. Really needs to work on his rotations, especially on the perimeter. Watch him when he has to rotate out to a shooter (not when he is hedging on a ball screen). There were several times where we got burned (or should have been burned) because of his tardiness. That said, he finally got hot from the field. I have been waiting for it, and it was a thing of beauty. He is going to be a nice stretch big for us the next 4 years.

2. CMM did really play a good game. Tough break on that last free throw. It was actually a pretty solid stroke. I thought it was going to roll in, but that is the breaks I guess. He handled the zone fairly well and made some huge baskets down the stretch.

3. Was really disappointed in the closing minutes, after a timeout by Manning, that the shot we got was a rushed 18 foot pullup jump shot by CMM. I am not sure what happened there, but I can't imagine the play was to pass it around the perimeter and let CMM chuck up a shot. I am sure that Manning wishes he had that one back.

4. Devin's foul situation just killed us. He barely played the last 15 minutes of the game. Christmas just abused our other bigs in the paint (and he had his way with Devin as well, but at least Devin gave him a little bit of problem establishing post presence).

5. Wilbekin simply can't disappear like that. He has to be more aggressive on offense. I Think Cuse's length really bothered him. Hopefully this will be a good learning experience. His defense was outstanding. Was always in the right spot, and stuck right to Cooney when he was the assignment. We are going to love having Wilbekin wear the Black and Gold.

6. I hope Giles was watching this game. The potential for a stretch 4 is unlimited in Manning's offense. He will have every chance to produce and showcase himself as the premier player of his class in our offense. I hope he sees the opportunity he has at Wake. After next year's class, we will have a firm enough foundation to make a run with a superstar at the helm.

7. Our big man rotations were really bi polar tonight. Some possessions we executed to perfection, and then the next we would screw it up almost immediately. I guess this is part of having a bunch of freshman play significant minutes. IT was encouraging and frustrating at the same time.

8. I am actually disappointed, which hasn't happened in a long time. Glad to feel bad that we lost. Could have had it.

That is about it. My feed kept cutting in and out, so I missed a good portion of the 1st half trying to connect. Anyone else?

Going 3-3 in that stretch would be disappointing. Benchmark would be 4/6. 5/6 would be awesome.

Clearly CMM is not perfect but he did score 24 and appeared to be the only guy trying to foul out Christmas.

VaDeac easy on the expectations.... We're playing better and improving game by game but 3-3 I would be very happy with... Manning is not loaded with talent on this team but his coaching and ability to instill team ball from these guys is mind boggling to me. This group is meshing well but expecting them to do to much to early or this year is asking a lot.. But I think we can all say, Danny Manning is the man and he is great and next year with his first real recruiting class we could expect 4/6 from the stretch above.

My main fear is that all these close losses will start to take a toll on morale. Hopefully Manning is the right guy to keep everyone engaged and looking forward and not back. If we can keep up the effort and make even slight improvements, we're going to get some Ws.

Danny Manning is the right guy..... Look at what we're doing with this team... Does that not make you feel like we have the right guy? Com-on-Man.... Manning is awesome....

VaDeac easy on the expectations.... We're playing better and improving game by game but 3-3 I would be very happy with... Manning is not loaded with talent on this team but his coaching and ability to instill team ball from these guys is mind boggling to me. This group is meshing well but expecting them to do to much to early or this year is asking a lot.. But I think we can all say, Danny Manning is the man and he is great and next year with his first real recruiting class we could expect 4/6 from the stretch above.

I guess I should add that I'd be quite happy with 4/6.

Ugh, the pain comes back in seeing Sportscenter.

CMM's 3 at halftime was #3, then a bonus top 10 play showed Crab's 3/4 court in and out.

I guess I should add that I'd be quite happy with 4/6.

True dat VaDeac... I know one thing, I was setting at home with my lady and we was both on our feet, excited thinking we might and should've beat the cuse... IT JUST FEELS GOOD TO BE COMPETITIVE AGAIN TO ME...

Sounded like he was pulling for Cuse all night long.

Brant also is a poorly veiled Carolina fan. Listen to him on one of their games. "Here come the Tarheels" comes out a little too giddy. Beyond that, he does indeed suck donkey ass. How about the Leonard missed 3 where he said "not sure you want him taking that shot, he only shoots 33% from out there," which Bonner corrected him saying that isn't that bad. What a moron.

Brant also is a poorly veiled Carolina fan. Listen to him on one of their games. "Here come the Tarheels" comes out a little too giddy. Beyond that, he does indeed suck donkey ass. How about the Leonard missed 3 where he said "not sure you want him taking that shot, he only shoots 33% from out there," which Bonner corrected him saying that isn't that bad. What a moron.

Nice first post. So after years of following the Deacs, Tim Brant made you sign up and post.

Someone I know that is close to a couple of the basketball players told me that (except for Travis) no one on the team could stand [Redacted], but that they all really like Manning and want to do well for him. It shows.

It's refreshing to watch a road game and not get blown out by 30, isn't it?

While this Cuse team isn't as good as they have been in years past, they still play one of the best, most disciplined 2-3 zones in the country. Watching teams play offense against Syracuse can be a real torture. Oftentimes teams stand around the 3 point line, and at best put a guy at the free throw line, but I thought we did an excellent job of cutting up the zone considering we only had one guy that proved to be a serious threat from 3. Our guys look like they're finally starting to play within themselves, and are attacking the basket very well.

Is it another moral victory? Yes. But if you had shown me this game tape at the beginning of the year and said "that's how you'll look during the final game of the season in the carrier dome," I would have been shocked and taken it in a heart beat. I'm excited to see what Manning can do with another month and a half to prepare before hopefully making a little noise in the ACC Tourney, then gearing up for a run in the NIT. Any tournament experience would be huge for all of our guys moving forward.

A buddy of mine in the office follows college hoops religiously. He stopped by and said the Deacs appear to have found life again. One of those "teams better than their record shows." He's convinced Manning's the man for us.

I liked that, as a team, we pushed back several times when Syracuse made a run to tie the game and Carrier Dome got loud.

I like that, having lost the lead, we didn't fold and kept fighting.

Shame about Cody's free throws towards the end, but we also made a half court 3 and a very deep 3, so it's not like we didn't get any breaks. Much like Gbinije coolly sinking two big free throws at the end of regulation despite his 40-whatever FT%, but then somehow missing a layup to win it where he'd beaten Madison off the dribble. It was that kind of game.

Love the guts from Hudson to take that shot.

I'm pleased to see that Louisville wasn't a fluke, and Duke wasn't a fluke. Nice to be back to place where we are consistently competing, particularly during a pretty tough stretch of the schedule. Hope the break has us chomping at the bit to get after the heels next week and get a win.

Back