• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A question about Coach Manning

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Wasn't it about this time last year that Manning's team began their run to the conference title? This team is looking much improved.

He's getting all he can from this bunch. This is a vastly improved team.

If we could hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle from the free throw line, we win going away tonight. We just don't have those players.

With some more legitimate ACC-level players, we can be very, very good.

He's getting all he can from this bunch. This is a vastly improved team.

If we could hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle from the free throw line, we win going away tonight. We just don't have those players.

With some more legitimate ACC-level players, we can be very, very good.

100% agree

Coredeac your 100% correct... I find it hard to believe that this team is playing that much better under Danny Manning.... He is the real deal and it worries me that other teams will come after him in the next few years.. He is truly calm, cool and collected.. Go Deacs....

Coredeac your 100% correct... I find it hard to believe that this team is playing that much better under Danny Manning.... He is the real deal and it worries me that other teams will come after him in the next few years.. He is truly calm, cool and collected.. Go Deacs....
There aren't a huge amount of teams that could come calling and him even listen. He is close to his home growing up (Gboro), intra-ACC swaps don't happen, and Self is barely older than Manning. Unless Manning wants to try it in the NBA, the odds are that Manning is here for a while (if successful).

Realistically, if Manning gets some looks from higher profile schools, it will be because he has had very good results at Wake, which in turn makes the chances of him leaving lower since WF is in the premier conference and is capable of being a perennial top 25 team.

Last edited:
DM has the opportunity to build a great legacy at WAKE. Hopefully he will seize that opportunity. Recruiting will be the key. If he finds it possible to recruit 4 and 5 star players here and the crowds return to the Joel, I want to think he will stay for the long haul.

Good comment, I agree with you and you made me feel better lol thanks bro....
There aren't a huge amount of teams that could come calling and him even listen. He is close to his home growing up (Gboro), intra-ACC swaps don't happen, and Self is barely older than Manning. Unless Manning wants to try it in the NBA, the odds are that Manning is here for a while (if successful).

Realistically, if Manning gets some looks from higher profile schools, it will be because he has had very good results at Wake, which in turn makes the chances of him leaving lower since WF is in the premier conference and is capable of being a perennial top 25 team.

DM has the opportunity to build a great legacy at WAKE. Hopefully he will seize that opportunity. Recruiting will be the key. If he finds it possible to recruit 4 and 5 star players here and the crowds return to the Joel, I want to think he will stay for the long haul.

I was at the Wake/ Ga. Tech game and it was a good atmosphere... Of course it was not like the old days but it seems to be improving...

I am only worried about Kansas and the NBA.

I don't think he really has to do much more for Kansas to at least make him their top back-up choice, but if he does well enough that the NBA is looking at him then that means we've been to a Final 4.

I don't know. DM is making his reputation very quickly around the country as a coach. He is legit. Walks the walk, talks the talk, and all that. I hope he loves being near home and agree with comments above that getting star caliber players to commit here is crucial to our ability to retain him.

I am only worried about Kansas and the NBA.

I don't think he really has to do much more for Kansas to at least make him their top back-up choice, but if he does well enough that the NBA is looking at him then that means we've been to a Final 4.
Self is only four years older. So the only way Manning is going to KU is if Self decides to leave for the NBA or decides for an early retirement.

I have to laugh when I read this stuff. Worry about his leaving? Were that to happen, it would be because we were a top ACC team again. I'll take that trade. I guess the alternative it to a hire a guy who doesn't know what he's doing, you know, to [name redacted] ourselves again, and wallow in <below> mediocrity but not worry about losing our coach. Tough decision, I know.

Last year, at the end of December Tulsa was 4-9 and going nowhere.

Even as late as February 6, Tulsa was 10-12 (5-3 in CUSA).

They ran the table (8 in a row) to end the regular season to finish 13-3 in conference. Tulsa then swept the conference tourney to run the streak to 11, and then lost to UCLA in the 4/13 game.

Agree that this WF team is also improving rapidly, but an 11 game win streak to get to the NCAAs seems a bit far-fetched. :thumbsup:

BTW, Manning did not leave the cupboard bare. Tulsa moved on the American Athletic Conference (home of defending champ UCONN), and Tulsa currently sits atop of the AAC standings at 4-0.

Last edited:
I have to laugh when I read this stuff. Worry about his leaving? Were that to happen, it would be because we were a top ACC team again. I'll take that trade. I guess the alternative it to a hire a guy who doesn't know what he's doing, you know, to [name redacted] ourselves again, and wallow in <below> mediocrity but not worry about losing our coach. Tough decision, I know.

I don't think anyone is saying that. But, hell, we have to talk about something.

I think Kansas could hire him before we're a top ACC team again though. I think if Self left today, they would make a run at the usuals (Smart and Stevens), but, once that failed, they would hire Manning. Well, Turgeon would probably be higher on the list, and there's a strong possibility he'd jump.

Last year, at the end of December Tulsa was 4-9 and going nowhere.

Even as late as February 6, Tulsa was 10-12 (5-3 in CUSA).

They ran the table (8 in a row) to end the regular season to finish 13-3 in conference. Tulsa then swept the conference tourney to run the streak to 11, and then lost to UCLA in the 4/13 game.

Agree that this WF team is also improving rapidly, but an 11 game win streak to get to the NCAAs seems a bit far-fetched. :thumbsup:

BTW, Manning did not leave the cupboard bare. Tulsa moved on the American Athletic Conference (home of defending champ UCONN), and Tulsa currently sits atop of the AAC standings at 4-0.

Got there with a lot of sophomores and would have added Wilbekin.

Last year as of February 6, Tulsa was 10-12 (5-3 in CUSA). They ran the table (8 in a row) to end the regular season. Swept the conference tourney to run the streak to 11, and then lost to UCLA in the 4/13 game.

Agree that this team is improving rapidly, but an 11 game win streak to get to the NCAAs seems a bit far-fetched.

Manning left the cupboard pretty much how he found it. Their top 7 players are juniors that were recruited by Wojcik.

Not a criticism, just an observation. Can't really give him too much credit for the roster (although obviously he did a great job of developing them into a team).

Turgeon would cut off his arm for the KS job. He was born and raised in KS. Played at KS. Was an assistant under Larry Brown at KS. Not saying Manning would stay at WF if Kansas came knocking, but if Turgeon was offered first, he would accept before the KS AD finished asking the question. BTW, Turgeon was an assistant at KS, when Danny and Miracles won the NC.

I don't think anyone is saying that. But, hell, we have to talk about something.

I think Kansas could hire him before we're a top ACC team again though. I think if Self left today, they would make a run at the usuals (Smart and Stevens), but, once that failed, they would hire Manning. Well, Turgeon would probably be higher on the list, and there's a strong possibility he'd jump.

where is self going?

Manning left the cupboard pretty much how he found it. Their top 7 players are juniors that were recruited by Wojcik.

Not a criticism, just an observation. Can't really give him too much credit for the roster (although obviously he did a great job of developing them into a team).

How do you figure that?

Tulsa's top 4 players, 7 of the top 9 are currently sophomores. They have 1 senior and 1 freshman in their rotation. Manning accepted the Tulsa job in the Spring of 2012 when that 7 man Tulsa sophomore class were juniors in HS. Manning coached Tulsa in 2012-2013, a team of mostly Wojcik recruits. He brought in the current 7 man class, and then coached that class as frosh tot he NCAAs.

Last edited:
Back