• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Knowing how to win

Deac83

Reaction score
Ok stole this out of the thread we would like to see die so we can actually discuss this:

Interesting article from SBNation--duke.
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ded-for-season

Wake Forest is having a strange season: the Deacs are not winning in the conference - Wake's just 1-4 - yet keep earning respect.

Coaches and players hate moral victories,ia or claim to anyway, but we bet if you took almost anyone who played for Wake Forest last season and this year and asked them if he was happier, every single one would say yes, and losing record be damned.

Look, of course Wake wants to win, and did last year, too. The difference is that last year, there was no clear path to winning consistently. This year?

Danny Manning has made a huge difference.

Wake Forest is playing with confidence, vigor and great energy. That winning time is still a mystery is not a big surprise. No one on the roster has really been part of a winning team, other than last year's unsatisfactory 17-16. Certainly no one has the slightest idea of what it takes to climb to the top.

Well, no one except for Manning, who of course has been there as player and coach (as a Bill Self assistant at Kansas).

Wake fans no doubt are disappointed and that's understandable. Make no mistake though: Danny Manning is remaking that program and he's doing it in a big way.

In fact, we'd argue that Wake's progress is pretty remarkable. It may take a year or two for everything to click, but the guy is showing signs of being a tremendous coach and his team is clearly responding. Good news for Wake and the ACC as a whole.

IIRC Odom's first team when 3-11 in the ACC only winning his last three ACC games. In December that team actually cracked the top 20 of the AP poll. The team was not devoid of talent but had no history of success in the ACC.

I've always said that the game that taught the collective team they knew how to win was at Clemson in Odom's 2nd year. We were down 10 late at Clemson when a young Randolph Childress brought us back hitting the game tying three to send us to OT and an eventual win.

Some one will have to step up to win a 'big or important' game, that's when we'll learn how to win.

So you're saying that, when we win, we will know we know how to win.

Got it.

Like I said in the other thread... psychobabble.

Uhh, we don't have a Randolph Childress, yet! :)

But with sum continued improvement on D, tenacious rebounding and minimized turns, this team as currently structured can win 5-7 more ACC games considering the parity of the middle 7 or so teams.

Let's get 'er done Deacs!

We can't throw the damn ball in the ocean and certainly not from the FT line when the game is on the line.

Get better players and let's skip the "knowing how to win" horseshit. Better players = more wins.

See, I've been saying this for years, winning is like a high school Spanish test: You either know it or you don't. The only difference is you can't hide a 7 year old Guatemalan kid in your backpack to pass a winning test. And that is exactly why we only have one true option: We need to start replacing our practices with full team Inceptions. I mean, sure, we can do it your guys' way, and work on lay-ups and tip-offs and all that stupid bullshit until we're blue in the dick, then wait around for some kind of goddamn barnburner to finally test our mettle.

OR we can just insert whatever the fuck we want directly into our players' brains via their dreams. What sounds easier to you fucking people? Why are we constantly beating around the bush on here? Let's get something done for once. The technology is available. The time is now. Come on, Danny! Elect to incept!

Of course you can't know how to win unless you win.

It's not just winning a game. Beating GT doesn't teach you how to win. Winning games that matter is what teaches the team how to win. IMO, I doubt the team can only learn this if the games they win matter. And by matter I mean more than just beating a good or ranked team.

Winning that Clemson game propelled us to beating NC State on Fire and Ice day which got us into the NCAAT for the first time in years.

We will win when we have a more talented roster, but we are playing like we should be playing and lots of people in the college basketball community are noticing.

The whole "knowing how to win" is one of the most overblown cliches in all of sports. We are playing better now because we have a better coach. When we get better players we will win more games.

You can have the least talented players in the world who "know how to win" and they will get blown out against talented players.

Dumb conversation in my opinion.

I'm just sad we are having this conversation. F U Ron Wellman. F U.

We will win when we have a more talented roster, but we are playing like we should be playing and lots of people in the college basketball community are noticing.

I agree, it's not so much about not knowing how to win, it's more about having the right pieces to win. Right now, we lack some pieces to win many close games against good teams. I don't think there is any doubt that our team's attitude, vibe, confidence and vibe are much better this year under Danny Manning and frankly those are things that had to be improved before anything else in my opinion. The players on this team that had been subjected to Bzzz were beaten down and DM is doing a good job of building them back up.

The whole "knowing how to win" is one of the most overblown cliches in all of sports. We are playing better now because we have a better coach. When we get better players we will win more games.

You can have the least talented players in the world who "know how to win" and they will get blown out against talented players.

Dumb conversation in my opinion.

"Knowing how to win" is nothing more than confidence. What inspires more confidence? Looking over to the sidelines and seeing Jeff [Redacted]'s goofy ass? Or looking over there and seeing Danny Manning, NCAA Championship and 2 Final Fours as a player, 3x Big Eight Player of the Year, Consensus National Player of the Year,#1 Draft Pick, 2 time NBA All-Star, member of the College Basketball Hall of Fame; and thinking this guy believes in me?

That won't make up for the lack of talent on our roster against teams like Duke and Louisville, but it does make difference against those teams with similar talent.

a good coach can help make up for deficiencies in talent. it sure looks like manning is doing that. like many have said the problem is that the talent level was so far from where an acc team needs to be that it is a lot to overcome. combine that with the complete lack of teaching and leadership that the previous administration provided and it is a deep dark hole to climb out of.

i am cautiously optimistic and beginning to get excited about wake bball for the first time in a very long time.

"Knowing how to win" is nothing more than confidence. What inspires more confidence? Looking over to the sidelines and seeing Jeff [name redacted]'s goofy ass? Or looking over there and seeing Danny Manning, NCAA Championship and 2 Final Fours as a player, 3x Big Eight Player of the Year, Consensus National Player of the Year,#1 Draft Pick, 2 time NBA All-Star, member of the College Basketball Hall of Fame; and thinking this guy believes in me?

That won't make up for the lack of talent on our roster against teams like Duke and Louisville, but it does make difference against those teams with similar talent.

Good post. The marketing aspect of Manning is huge as well. The media is taking notice of Wake basketball because reporters, columnists and talking heads are interesting in seeing how Danny Manning, NCAA golden child, does as a coach. I think this free publicity can only help.

The media is taking notice of Wake because our team punched Louisville and Duke on their chins and gave a great fight. Manning got relatively little coverage before that. Results.

Knowing how to win also means knowing how to act at then end of games. It means knowing how to not panic, or how to not pass to the worst free throw shooter on your team.

These things come with experience.

Knowing how to win also means knowing how to act at then end of games. It means knowing how to not panic, or how to not pass to the worst free throw shooter on your team.

These things come with experience.

a lot of this

They play good defense and rebound well, which will keep most games close at least. With more offensive talent, the winning will come.

Back