• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

MHBDemon

Reaction score
I know you nerds love this shit. I recently bought Carcassonne, Jaipur and Splendor for the wife and I to play. Never played Settlers of Catan, understand it is awesome, but not 2 player friendly.

We just played first game of Carcassonne last night so it was more going through the motions than it was employing any strategy.

Learning these 3 games will take a while, but feel free to post other recommendations.

So pit, what board games do you play?

I'll have to try Carcassone; would love some other 2 player recommendations.

How long did a game take?

The ipad has really expanded my board game horizons

My favorites are Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride and Tigres and Euphrates. I played several other Reiner Knizia games in addition to Tigres and Euphrates, and have liked them all.

Oh, and Small World too.

I'll have to try Carcassone; would love some other 2 player recommendations.

How long did a game take?

2 player Carcassonne takes 20-30 minutes a game. Carc is great because each game is unique, plus there are dozens of expansions if you ever get bored with the basic tiles. It's a great two person game, but it's an even better group game. Basic game will allow 5, but Inns and Cathedrals will give you a 6th color.

Catan is simply one of the best games, ever. My personal favorite.

catan really is an outstanding game

i've been teaching the gf how to play chess

i'm scared for the rapidly approaching point where she's going to start beating me

Huge fan of Catan, Chess, and Diplomacy.

Never been a fan of Carc. Have it on my iPad but I just can't get into it. I own Puerto Rico but have never played it

We LOVE Carcassonne, and the expansion pack (inns and churches, I think?) is a great addition to it as well.
We're big fans of Settlers of Catan, too, but find that Carcassonne is similar-ish in strategy that if we want something quick to play, it's the go-to.

Recently played 7 Wonders for the first time and really, really enjoyed it - I would recommend it also. It's also a resource-management game, but moves much more quickly than Settlers. It's a little difficult to learn, but we found this youtube channel and it helped immensely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Wfdn5Es8U

Other good games:
Blokus
Killer Bunnies (this is more cards than a board game, but still good)
Flux (similar to Killer Bunnies)
Wits and Wagers

Last edited:
Flux is awesome.

HTTD, numbers, awar love all these games mentioned. Carcassonne was a great discovery a couple of years ago.

Catan is probably my favorite game as well.

my friends and i do a tuesday game night almost every week. the hits and misses so far have been:

HITS:
-qwelf (my favorite,so fun!)
- fluxx
- taboo
- headbandz

MISSES:
- what the face (wtf so unfun)
- monty python fluxx (so unfun when most everyone is not that into monty python...)

Taboo and Cards Against Humanity are my favorite social games (ie: games played while most everyone is getting drunk).

maybe a post for the unpopular opinions thread, but i never really *loved* cards against humanity

The ipad has really expanded my board game horizons

My favorites are Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride and Tigres and Euphrates. I played several other Reiner Knizia games in addition to Tigres and Euphrates, and have liked them all.

Oh, and Small World too.

Ticket to Ride and Tigres and Euphrates are awesome

My family got Munchkin over Christmas and we spent the next few days doing nothing but playing Munchkin and yelling at each other. It was fantastic

anybody ever play Twilight struggle? I've heard & read great things about it. Think BoardGameGeek has it as #1.

Taboo and Cards Against Humanity are my favorite social games (ie: games played while most everyone is getting drunk).

to go along with social games, my favorite game of all time is Farkle. absolutely fun and intense. all you need is 6 die and some fun people to play with.

I've never really gotten into Euro-style games, although I think I would probably enjoy them. I used to like Risk back in the day.

In terms of social games I prefer Cards Against Humanity, Telestrations, and Scattergories. Also like Taboo and Pass the Pigs.

One of my friends from home started his own game creation company and has had a couple of successful Kickstarter campaigns.

http://stonemaiergames.com/

Viticulture, Tuscany, and Euphoria are his games.

He also has a blog post about his favorite games of 2014:

http://jameystegmaier.com/2015/01/my-favorite-board-games-of-2014/

Back