• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

And some new games we picked up this Holiday season:

Bohnanza - Card game with a heavy focus on trading mechanics. The illustrations are top notch, but definitely avoid the two player variant.
Go Nuts for Donuts - Reminds me a lot of Sushi Go! Very easy, not too strategic, but it does place a focus on intelligent drafting. The more the merrier (the two person variant also blows for this one).
A Fake Artist Goes to New York - Fun party game. It's group Pictionary (everyone contributes to a singular drawing), except one person doesn't know what's being drawn and has to fake it until they make it. Everyone tries to guess the imposter, and the interloper tries to guess what everyone else was drawing.
Patchwork - Surprisingly great two person game. You are each building a patchwork quilt (not the most exciting premise), and there are numerous factors that impact your product. It really works out your spatial awareness/Tetris muscles, too.

And some new games we picked up this Holiday season:

Bohnanza - Card game with a heavy focus on trading mechanics. The illustrations are top notch, but definitely avoid the two player variant.
Go Nuts for Donuts - Reminds me a lot of Sushi Go! Very easy, not too strategic, but it does place a focus on intelligent drafting. The more the merrier (the two person variant also blows for this one).
A Fake Artist Goes to New York - Fun party game. It's group Pictionary (everyone contributes to a singular drawing), except one person doesn't know what's being drawn and has to fake it until they make it. Everyone tries to guess the imposter, and the interloper tries to guess what everyone else was drawing.
Patchwork - Surprisingly great two person game. You are each building a patchwork quilt (not the most exciting premise), and there are numerous factors that impact your product. It really works out your spatial awareness/Tetris muscles, too.

We got Go Nuts last year. It has staying power and it a lot of fun (kids are 8, 10, & 12)

This year we picked up:

Dos - similarish to Uno, decent once you get the hang of it. A LOT shorter game than Uno
Trash Pandas - Card Game where you balance "stashing" cards for points and playing them to do certain actions. Has a "pass the pigs" element where you roll to be abl to do certain things, but if you roll wrong, you get nothing. It's pretty fun - kids love it
Five Crowns - Rummy -like card game with varying # of cards each round. It's fun, but a pretty long game.
Reversi - Othello - youngest's favorite game
This game goes to eleven - card game - basic mechanics of cribbage with some wrinkles
Selfish - card game - everyone's afloat in space and trying to get back to the spaceship without running out of oxygen. only one can win and everyone can lose. Encourages being ruthless to the other players. It's a lot of fun and pretty short. My favorite of this year's haul.

Almost forgot Cockroach Poker: it's Bullshit on steroids. Fantastic illustrations are abound in this one.

I also broke my Codenames cherry. Been meaning to play that one forever - it's as good as the hype.

Last edited:
Former colleague (and office-mate) of mine designed it! Finished his phd and decided to make games for a living. Was formerly doing it as a hobby.

I can't find anywhere to buy it, looks like the kickstarter is complete

Also, I'd like to expand my collection. If anyone has any games they want to sell, shoot me your list and we can work something out.

I don't know if this game has been mentioned or not yet, but I was given Scythe for Christmas and even though I've only played it twice (over 3 days), I gotta say I friggin' love it. Took a long time to figure out the rules just because I didn't listen to their instructions (written) to just jump in and start figuring things out, but once I knew them it was easy to teach newer players in the second game and get them up to speed. Tons of fun as a multiplayer game and it feels like the replay-ability should be pretty high. Will probably try out Single Player Automata mode this weekend.

I don't know if this game has been mentioned or not yet, but I was given Scythe for Christmas and even though I've only played it twice (over 3 days), I gotta say I friggin' love it. Took a long time to figure out the rules just because I didn't listen to their instructions (written) to just jump in and start figuring things out, but once I knew them it was easy to teach newer players in the second game and get them up to speed. Tons of fun as a multiplayer game and it feels like the replay-ability should be pretty high. Will probably try out Single Player Automata mode this weekend.

When someone mentions am unfamiliar game, I usually check its profile on Board Game Geek. And this one is currently the #7 overall ranked game :eek:

I got Spirit Island for Christmas. Tried to play it with my non-game-loving family and it didn't go over particularly well. I look forward to trying it again with people who like games. It's a coop game of island spirits helping natives trying to defeat invaders.

I got Spirit Island for Christmas. Tried to play it with my non-game-loving family and it didn't go over particularly well. I look forward to trying it again with people who like games. It's a coop game of island spirits helping natives trying to defeat invaders.

That's currently on my top 3 want list right now:

Secret Hitler
Root + expansion
Spirit Island

When someone mentions am unfamiliar game, I usually check its profile on Board Game Geek. And this one is currently the #7 overall ranked game :eek:

How does one player mode work? I couldn’t figure it out based on the descriptions.

We got Sets, Tenzi, and Exploding Kittens.

I know stepson got Ticket to Ride at his mom's house, which is good for him - he says it's lots of fun. I've actually never played, and it's next on my list to get. Gotta wait a little bit now, though.

What was the turning point for board games becoming so mainstream and popular? Used to be they were the rainy day/power’s out activity or popular among a small subset of people. Now everyone I know has a collection. Was it a particular game like Catan?

We got Sets, Tenzi, and Exploding Kittens.

I know stepson got Ticket to Ride at his mom's house, which is good for him - he says it's lots of fun. I've actually never played, and it's next on my list to get. Gotta wait a little bit now, though.

Variation on Tenzi b/c it gets old pretty fast - Stealzi. For every 5 you roll, you get to steal a die from any other player.

I've had Scythe sitting on the shelf for a while and haven't played it, primarily because I'm generally the one that has to teach the group I play with how to play new games, and I haven't taken the time to learn it.

You inspired to break it out. Read the rules (the rule book is incredibly well written) and played several times on steam, which has a very good digital version. I like it alot. I actually think it will be fairly easy to teach the mechanics to new players.

I've had Scythe sitting on the shelf for a while and haven't played it, primarily because I'm generally the one that has to teach the group I play with how to play new games, and I haven't taken the time to learn it.

You inspired to break it out. Read the rules (the rule book is incredibly well written) and played several times on steam, which has a very good digital version. I like it alot. I actually think it will be fairly easy to teach the mechanics to new players.

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier on the thread (didn't go back before this page), but my friend is one of the Scythe inventors! He was doing games as a hobby, then quit his job a few years ago and full time runs "Stonemaier Games." I think Viticulture was his first game he put on Kickstarter, and it went gangbusters (it's #19 on the Board Game Geek list). He's done so well on Kickstarter (7 projects getting $3.2M) that he also wrote a book on crowdfunding.

There's now a version called "My Little Scythe" for ages 8+

Last edited:
Wanted to publicly thank Deac29 for hooking me up with some excellent games. He sent me 9 games that arrived yesterday, all still NIB or excellent condition. I now have these added to my (small but growing) collection:

Battlelore
Diplomacy
Fresco
Glux
Greed
Hostage Negotiator
Magic Maze
Shogun
Twighlight Struggle

Thanks again!

Twilight Struggle is a lot of fun and I've played it probably 10-15 times.The Rooskies have an easier time winning earlier in the game as it tends to favor the US as the game progresses.

Hs anyone played The Mind? I love it. Super simple. Cards numbered 1-100. You try to complete as many rounds as you can, with one card per round, per person (1 card each in round 1, 2 cards each in round 2, etc). You look at your own cards but cannot convey any info about what you have to others players. You then attempt to put them down in chronological order. You have a certain number of screwups allowed, plus a one card discard play. It’s really fun.

I read a few 2018 reviews and multiple people had it on their top 5.

Picked up Spirit Island and The Mind this week. Looking forward to playing both this weekend. Also found a local person selling Betrayal At House On The Hill. Might try and scoop that one as well.

Back