• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

Pandemic is my current jam. Pretty easy to learn and the cooperative nature of it is pretty innovative, although I've noticed that quieter people tend to get drowned out unless they're actively engaged. I've also been meaning to get back into Munchkin but just can't recall the flow of the game. Shame, because I really liked it the few times I played with people who knew how.

Pandemic is my current jam. Pretty easy to learn and the cooperative nature of it is pretty innovative, although I've noticed that quieter people tend to get drowned out unless they're actively engaged. I've also been meaning to get back into Munchkin but just can't recall the flow of the game. Shame, because I really liked it the few times I played with people who knew how.

munchkin is basically simplified D&D.

looking to get a game for a housewarming gift; could either be a strategy game that can be played with two people or a party game that can be used when hosting

familiar with much of the games listed on the thread to date -- any 2018 releases to check out?

Played 2 games of "Lords of Waterdeep" last night and really enjoyed it. It can seem a bit confusing the first time you play it, but after even half a game it gets much easier. Essentially, each turn you place one of your pieces on one of a number of places on the board, receive the resources on that space and use those resources to complete quests, build buildings that produce resources, or buy action cards that can be used to hinder your opponents. Very fun game.

I played Pandemic a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The first time was with a veteran gamer and several newbies, including myself. We basically did what he told us to do. Good learning experience. The second time, it was just the newbies and we had a lot of fun. Heard of a lot of people saying good things about Root, but I haven't played it myself.

So, I'm pretty sure my stepson would love D&D; his birthday is coming up. Is there a way to 'get into' D&D as an individual, or do you absolutely have to have others for campaigns, etc.?

So, I'm pretty sure my stepson would love D&D; his birthday is coming up. Is there a way to 'get into' D&D as an individual, or do you absolutely have to have others for campaigns, etc.?

you'd need a few friends or play via correspondence or with skype w/ strangers which would be less than optimal for a new player/kid

looking to get a game for a housewarming gift; could either be a strategy game that can be played with two people or a party game that can be used when hosting

familiar with much of the games listed on the thread to date -- any 2018 releases to check out?

Azul, Kingdomino, and Santorini all play well with 2, have very simple mechanics, yet some depth of strategy. One night ultimate werewolf and codenames are very good (and cheap) party games

you'd need a few friends or play via correspondence or with skype w/ strangers which would be less than optimal for a new player/kid

well poo. thanks for the response/keeping me from having to go to D&D reddit.

You could get him the 5th Edition Starter kit and maybe he’d get his friends into it with him?

You could get him the 5th Edition Starter kit and maybe he’d get his friends into it with him?

based on what I've seen of the other kids in the 'hood, I don't really see too many other kids having the patience for it... but I will check that out. Thanks!

Heard of a lot of people saying good things about Root, but I haven't played it myself.

Former colleague (and office-mate) of mine designed it! Finished his phd and decided to make games for a living. Was formerly doing it as a hobby.

"Former colleague (and office-mate) of mine designed it! "

Glad to hear that. It seems to be a very popular game.

I had a walk off on Codenames over the holidays by playing "Snowden: 5" which led my partner to Espionage, Russia, Treason, Microchip, and Travel. No idea if that is common or not, but we were pretty jacked about it.

I've played roughly 100 games of Guess Who w/ my 4 year old since Christmas morning. Not an exaggeration.

It's funny when I buy something as a kind of throw-in present from Santa and it gets so much run.

Santa brought us Mexican Train Dominoes which is a simple game but engaging enough to play with the family or while drinking with friends.

I've played roughly 100 games of Guess Who w/ my 4 year old since Christmas morning. Not an exaggeration.

It's funny when I buy something as a kind of throw-in present from Santa and it gets so much run.

Nice. I taught my son (also 4yo) Uno, and he can't get enough of that.

For Christmas, he got Snap! (dressed up War), Gas Out (potty humor anyone?), and Shadows in the Forest which I'm pretty excited to check out - you play in the dark and use a small lantern to find little 'Shadowlings' that others are hiding.

One of my favorite gifts this year was a custom Sheepshead deck. My BIL designed it, and his girlfriend illustrated this beauty. My in-laws never miss an opportunity to play Sheepshead, so now we can play in style.

ffsIhJT.jpg

Back