• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

Played a lot of Ticket to Ride over the snowy weekend. Fun game.

Played some new games over the Holidays:

Azul
6 nimmt!
Dominion
Pandemic

All were very good, and very different. I was most surprised by Azul - I really enjoyed that one.

Been playing a lot of Munchkin Treasure Hunt - it's been fun.

Played some new games over the Holidays:

Azul
6 nimmt!
Dominion
Pandemic

All were very good, and very different. I was most surprised by Azul - I really enjoyed that one.

I've been thinking about adding Dominion - been hearing good things about it lately. Thoughts?

A friend of mine got Dark Tower - apparently it's a game from the early 80s that is a big collector's item nowadays. Really crude technology, but pretty fun. Not sure how well it would hold up on repeat plays, though.

ha, my wife and her parents were just talking about Dark Tower last night and how they used to play it/love it

For kids the card game Sleeping Queens has been a huge hit.

For kids the card game Sleeping Queens has been a huge hit.

our kids really like Sleeping Queens.

We have Harry Potter Clue which is fun for Potter fans. It adds quite a few twists to the original Clue gameplay that make it more interesting. My kids are in the other room playing it right now.

I've been thinking about adding Dominion - been hearing good things about it lately. Thoughts?

A friend of mine got Dark Tower - apparently it's a game from the early 80s that is a big collector's item nowadays. Really crude technology, but pretty fun. Not sure how well it would hold up on repeat plays, though.

Had that when I was a kid and played it with my brother a lot. Really cool game, given technological limits at the time. I bought one around 2000 for my brother as our old copy had disappeared. Think it was around $100 at the time. I can still hear the sound effects from the game in my mind.

51JAcycaUvL._AC_US327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

I need this...

Played ethnos tonight...dope game but you have to tolerate directions that are not written as well as they could be...a rare 6 player game that is well done and intricate

I picked up three new games over the holiday weekend.

7 Wonders: Very good game, and definitely a new favorite. It's Puerto Rico-lite with the right balance of strategy/skill, and a little bit of variance.

Hellapagos: Entertaining and fun. It's like Survivor meets Mafia in a board game. It's definitely better with more people.

Magic Maze: Cooperative, time-bound, and a little stressful (you're not allowed to talk or communicate for most of the game). It reminded me of a modern day Chip's Challenge. It was okay; I probably won't play it again anytime soon.

7 Wonders is awesome - love that game, but it's definitely too advanced for the 7yo right now.

We needed to get Uno out of rotation, I have never liked that game and it seems to always end in tears if one of the kids feels targeted by skips/reverses. I picked up Sushi Go! for us yesterday; we played for the first time last night and it is perfect for our group. 10yo gets the strategy aspect, and 7yo kind of gets that but can also just get lucky by picking the cards she likes.

Still trying new games, but I may have hit gaming saturation for a while. Sometimes you just need to play Puerto Rico because it's amazing.

Power Grid: I really enjoyed this, but it's long AF. Requires a lot of brainpower to eek out efficiency in auctions and resource management. It appears there are dozens of maps (versions) available.

Ticket to Ride Europe: Even better than the original, imo. The added rules are positive, and the train stations in particular are a great design to provide recourse to route stealing (intentional or not).

Pandemic Iberia: Another game I enjoyed more than the original. But, these kind of cooperative games are frustrating to me because everyone thinks they know what the best move is, so there's lots of in-fighting. The setting was quite flavorful.

I've been playing a lot of "Sequence For Kids" with my 4 year old.

It's better than CandyLand / Chutes & Ladders where there is very little thinking involved for either one of us.

We like Uno, as well... But she'd prefer to play Go Fish if we're just playing cards.

Still play Matching Games more than anything else... And she beats me from time to time, which is fun because there aren't many games of "skill" where we can compete on any kind of level playing field right now.

Back