• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

I’ve heard people claim Pandemic Legacy is the greatest game made. I have a friend who loves it. I think he played it all the way through.

Pandemic Legacy is fun, but you can't be afraid to lose. I haven't gotten through a full season yet because my friends and I wanted to run some practice rounds to make sure we understood the game before starting it for real. We were never able to win a round on the starting board, though came within a turn or two more than once. It was frustrating, but we finally just decided to go ahead anyway. We lost the first couple rounds, then the game opened up and became even more interesting.

Root with both expansions just delivered to the office today. Excited to get them to the table sometime soon

Root with both expansions just delivered to the office today. Excited to get them to the table sometime soon

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on Root after you play. I bought it about 6 months ago but just haven’t gotten to play it yet. I think the holdup has been it can be a little tough to learn and teach asymmetrical games, in my opinion. It would probably be easier to play with someone who already knows the game, as opposed to the whole table starting from scratch.

I played a few games of Watergate recently. Really good 2 player game that plays fairly quickly (20-30 minutes), with some interesting, tough choices. The theme fits the gameplay perfectly.

So, I'm having a bit of trouble resisting the kickstarter for Return to Dark Tower. Only a bit, because it is far too pricey, but I still have memories of playing the original game with my brother growing up. About 15 years ago, I even found a working version of the original in good condition on eBay and gave it to him for his birthday. $125 (plus another $100 for the deluxe version) is really way too much for a board game, though... right?

I’ve found that Kickstarter games are almost always cheaper upon retail release. So I’d say unless the kickstarter exclusives/deluxe version is worth it to you, wait

Only problem is the recent run of kickstarter favorites have been very hard to find after retail release. I'm considering Oath on KS. Same makers as Root. I think it's over 100.00 as well. I'm passing on Dark Tower but never played it as a kid.

Got Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle for my daughter. We've gotten through the 3d game (of 7). So far we like it. Good coop game and easy enough for kids to pick up. Lots of Potter lore and attractive design. Especially attractive for big Potter fans like my wife and daughter.

Check your individual location online before going, but some Walmarts have a crazy board game clearance sale right now:

Azul - 9.00
Betrayal at House on the Hill - 9.00
Ticket to Ride London - 9.00
Hail Hydra - 7.00
Battle of the Sexes - 5.00
Pandemic - 5.00
Catan - 5.00

My 10 year old just beat the shit out of me and my wife in Catan for the 4th time in a row.

I recently played a few games of Isle of Skye. Really cool game tile laying game. It's kinda like Carcassonne with the twist of buying and selling tiles from/to your opponents.

With working remotely and social distancing, I decided to try to work on my pile of shame, and break out some of my unplayed board games, starting with games that can be played solo. First on the list was It's a Wonderful World: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/271324/its-wonderful-world

This game combines card drafting with set collection. Think 7 Wonders meets Spendor/Century Spice Road. There are a couple interesting twists, however. The card drafting is done face up, so you know what each other player is drafting. Additionally, there is a bonus for the player who has the most of each type of resource during each round. Weight-wise I would say it is medium-light, fairly comparable to the games mentioned above (7 Wonders, Spendor, Century Spice Road). It should be pretty easy to teach to players who have never played before in a couple minutes. Once you know what you are doing, you can probably knock out a game in about 30 minutes.

When playing solo, the drafting phase is eliminated (for reasons that make sense). I liked this fairly well as a solo game, but think it would be better at 3 or 4. I anticipate there would be a fair amount of blocking and defensive drafting in multi-player, which would add an additional element of strategy.

Anybody played Horrified Universal Monsters yet? I bought it at Target a couple of days in anticipation of having to stay at home.

Pretty late to the game on this one, but we finally picked up Ticket to Ride back around Christmastime, and it's pretty wonderful. Fun with two players, definitely fun with four (age range 9 - grownups)

Pretty late to the game on this one, but we finally picked up Ticket to Ride back around Christmastime, and it's pretty wonderful. Fun with two players, definitely fun with four (age range 9 - grownups)

I think it’s perfect for families. When asked for suggestions, Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are almost always on the list for anyone with kids.

I saw somewhere that there were a few sites where you could play board games with friends remotely - anyone know what site(s)? For the life of me I can’t remember where I saw that.

Tabletopia is the other big one. Also iOS/Android games

Broke out a few more of my unplayed games, with solo modes: Viticulture essential edition, Villagers, and Castles of Burgundy the dice game.

Castles of Burgundy is one of my favorite games and the dice version is a cool roll and write implementation. Really liked Villagers too, but I love Viticulture. I think it will be great with 3+ players and may replace Stone Age as my favorite worker placement game.

Back