• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

Was able to pick up the 2 player variation of Agricola (All Creatures Big and Small) a couple weeks back at a decent price. It’s apparently hard to find stateside. Finally got around to playing it this weekend.

It’s terrific. Strategy is varied in a way that’s very deep gameplay. Plenty of decision points. No obvious path to victory jumps out after 4 play throughs. Components are really nice. It feels very complex at first, but one play through and you should have it.

I have yet to play the original game. Anyone else a fan?

Was able to pick up the 2 player variation of Agricola (All Creatures Big and Small) a couple weeks back at a decent price. It’s apparently hard to find stateside. Finally got around to playing it this weekend.

It’s terrific. Strategy is varied in a way that’s very deep gameplay. Plenty of decision points. No obvious path to victory jumps out after 4 play throughs. Components are really nice. It feels very complex at first, but one play through and you should have it.

I have yet to play the original game. Anyone else a fan?

Regular Agricola is awesome, but it’s a lot better at 3+. At 2 players, big and small is definitely better IMO

I played with 6 family members tonight (5 clue-givers and 1 guesser), and for 'Carpenter' the clues were...

Jesus
Jesus
Jesus
Jesus

Christ

Played Spirit Island with some peeps this weekend and it was pretty awesome. Hella complex, but a lot of fun once you get it down.

Does anybody play D&D here? I have become a little interested in it but have no clue where to start.

Does anybody play D&D here? I have become a little interested in it but have no clue where to start.

Played one campaign last summer. It was pretty fun. Not my bag, but I could see it being cool with a different group. It’s pretty popular via Zoom right now. You need to find a DM if you can. It’s hard to get started.

I'm doing my first campaign with a group of all newcomers (DM and myself included) and it's going well after a bit of a slow start while everyone settled in. Do you know others who are interested? Df07 is right, I'd recommend passing the responsibility of DM to someone who has experience for your first campaign - it's definitely a lot of work.

I have a few friends that play but they have put it on hold for now, for obvious reasons. I am about to move a couple of states (great timing), so hopefully I meet some folks interested in it.

Anybody here into Games Workshop stuff - Warhammer or Warhammer 40K? My son and I have been building some 40K models and playing a few games here and there.

My FIL has fully evolved into a board game addict, and I’m happy to tag along as the acolyte. This weekend, we sampled:

Port Royal
Las Vegas Royale
Fuji Flush
Push
Dirty Pigs
The Crew
Istanbul
Labyrinth
Seven Wonders Duel

Istanbul was best overall and I can’t wait to play that one again. The Crew is an expansive cooperative game, that I think we’ll revisit for a long time.

I was the local star wars CCG champion at age 12 (or something). I beat a 40-year old in the final and he was so pissed

Played a few games of The Search for Planet X. Really cool deduction game. Maybe my favorite in the genre. Played solo and with 3 players. Really good both ways.

Also, Dune Imperium is excellent. Never read the books (and didn’t really like the movie all that much), so the theme was kinda lost on me. But the game is really good even if you’re not into the Dune story. It’s a combo of a deck-builder and worker placement and it just works really well. Already top 25 on BGG despite only being out a little more than 1 year. Well deserved IMO

Any new games for Christmas?

Not a new game but I finally own for myself the actual Catan board game and don't have to just always play on colonist.io. I was very excited.

My 7yo is obsessed with playing board games at family gatherings. We played all of these over the break:

Clue
Ice Cool
Cockroach Poker
Point Salad
Just One
For Sale
Go Nuts for Donuts

Edit: I forgot Werewords! It's a mashup of Mafia and 20 questions.

Last edited:
Back