• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

Hs anyone played The Mind? I love it. Super simple. Cards numbered 1-100. You try to complete as many rounds as you can, with one card per round, per person (1 card each in round 1, 2 cards each in round 2, etc). You look at your own cards but cannot convey any info about what you have to others players. You then attempt to put them down in chronological order. You have a certain number of screwups allowed, plus a one card discard play. It’s really fun.

I played this Sunday and we had a good time. Only played a few rounds before we moved onto some other games. There was a city planning game called "Welcome To.." that I enjoyed as well. My favorite game of the evening was Azul...really, really enjoyed this one; do recommend.

All played at Board Game Republic (local board-game bar/pub) while enjoying some food and beers with friends.

Picked up Spirit Island and The Mind this week. Looking forward to playing both this weekend. Also found a local person selling Betrayal At House On The Hill. Might try and scoop that one as well.

Played Spirit Island this weekend, pretty fun but holy hell theres a lot going on. We played with the training wheels on and won, but I think it's very possible we missed a rule or two along the way that helped us out.

I recently played a few games of Raiders of the North Sea. It’s a medium weight, viking themed, worker placement game. I liked it a lot. I’m a big fan of worker placement games in general, and I’d put this up there with Stone Age and Agricola as one of my favorites in that genre. There is supposed to a digital version released soon as well.

Brother and SIL are into games. We most frequently play deck games like Dominion and Portal of Heroes.

Any 2019 games that might be good to add to their collection?

Brother and SIL are into games. We most frequently play deck games like Dominion and Portal of Heroes.

Any 2019 games that might be good to add to their collection?

Not a 2019 game, but 7 Wonders is pretty good. They probably already have it though.

Wingspan is a really good, new game, but it tough to find right now.

Quacks of Quedlinburg is a light, fun game that has been really well liked by everyone I've played it with.

Quacks of Quedlinburg is a light, fun game that has been really well liked by everyone I've played it with.

Amazon and B&N have Wingspan in stock for 55.00

I’ve recently become addicted to Through the Ages. It has an amazingly good mobile app adaptation and the devs just released an expansion. If you like civ style games, you should check it out.

I’ve recently become addicted to Through the Ages. It has an amazingly good mobile app adaptation and the devs just released an expansion. If you like civ style games, you should check it out.

Nice, I might give it a download.

Anyone selling anything?

was recently in a game shop and had my ear talked off about this one. It looks beautiful, just from a design standpoint, and the shop owner was like, "it's basically a shoe-in for game of the year."
Even still, couldn't bring myself to spend $55 on it that day. We bought Hive (small tile game) instead; it's a fun two person game.

BTTT as we head into the Holidays and cold dark winter months.

Picked up Jaipur and Codenames Duet for the wife’s birthday. Both are excellent two player games. With a one year old and home, we’ve played quite a few two player games over the last year.

So far the best two player games we’ve found are:

7 Wonders Duel - good mix of simplicity and strategy. Easy to get a few games in during a session. Variable enough for lots of replays, but simple enough to grasp the strategy quickly.

Jaipur - Not very complicated. Really effective card drafting game designed for two players. Haven’t played it a ton, but it seems like a new regular in the rotation.

Codenames Duet - Cooperative game with tons of variables. Should be able to stay fresh for a while. I haven’t played the multiplayer version, so I can’t really compare the two.

Santorini - Gorgeous game with a simple basis. Think of it like advanced tic-tac-toe.

Ticket to Ride - much better with more than two, but still a good choice for a pair. It’s a little longer and more involved setup than the others.

Qwirkle - better with more people as well, but it’s a pretty quick tile laying game that’s easy to transport and set up.

A multiplayer game we enjoy that I don’t think has been mentioned on this thread is Sheriff of Nottingham. It’s fairly simple, and it’s best with people that will really get into it. I would recommend taking a look at it if you’re looking for something new with extended family. Fairly easy for older school age kids to figure out.

Had a chance to play Betrayal at House on the Hill this fall, and it was very fun. Seems like a game that can really vary each play-through.

Sushi Go! is one of our absolute favorites. Easy for all ages to figure out after a round or two. Simple mechanics with a strategy that scales well with more experience. Small packaging, and can be played anywhere.

Got Jurassic Park Danger last year, and it’s fine. Gameplay is a little clunky. Two player mode isn’t very fun as the dinosaur player seems to have a huge advantage. I think 4 players seems like the sweet spot, but it’s not one of the first we reach for with friends over.

Anyone had any experience with Splendor? Think that might be the next purchase.

Last edited:
Back